Jan. 2, Lightning vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

Thats the frustrating part about this team.....  lots of good pieces and lots of good efforts but just not quite good enough.

Also, i know that at some point there isn't room for excuses but this is a bubble team and missing Gallagher, Drouin and Armia can often be the difference in these close games.

15 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Good game. Tough loss. 

That was probably their last hope for a playoff spot. 

Yeah. I think we're pretty much out now, barring some major miracle. We simply can't catch up any more without three of our best players.

51 minutes ago, Chris said:

Good game, 

everyone got a sweat and a workout, 

Know one was hurt

closer to a top 5 pick 

Hard to disagree with this post.  The season sure went south in a hurry, after the win in Winnipeg I had hope but now my hope is to get lucky and snag one of the top 2 picks.  Just can't see them getting back in the race especially with all the injuries.  Time for another beer. 

8 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

24th overall. Five teams within five points of us. It's not looking good.

Or, it's looking good for a draft pick. You choose ...

Yahoo, we can get another Galchenyuk 😎

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yahoo, we can get another Galchenyuk 😎

Let’s just hope they don’t turn KK into galchenyuk.

4 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

The player also has a role in his development.  It's not just "they" that turn players good or bad.

Agreed. Buys it’s the teams job to put him into a position where he can succeed and get the ice time and line mates needed to develop.  Playing limited minutes with grunts doesn’t do much for an offensive players development.  They tried that with Pacioretty and he said he preferred getting top line minutes in The AHL playing with guys like desharnais Than 6 minutes with a bunch of grunts.

There is certainly a case to be made that they brought Galy up too soon. It's possible they did the same with KK, although such a verdict is premature.

Part of the Habs' problem is that they bring guys up for PR reasons. KK was a good news story after a godawful season. Having him there fostered hope and deflected criticism. Heck, it probably helped solidify the narrative that we're 'three years away.' But none of this is relevant to what's best for the player.

They almost ruined Price too, remember?

Detroit used to get endless praise for letting youth marinade in the AHL. I think for most guys that is probably the right move. I find that more and more in the league, if a guy is going to be an impact player and is ready, it shows right away. Vancouver has a ton of those guys, for instance. Gallagher came up ready. KK worries me because he really hasn't looked like anything special at any time in his career so far.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

There is certainly a case to be made that they brought Galy up too soon. It's possible they did the same with KK, although such a verdict is premature.

Part of the Habs' problem is that they bring guys up for PR reasons. KK was a good news story after a godawful season. Having him there fostered hope and deflected criticism. Heck, it probably helped solidify the narrative that we're 'three years away.' But none of this is relevant to what's best for the player.

They almost ruined Price too, remember?

Detroit used to get endless praise for letting youth marinade in the AHL. I think for most guys that is probably the right move. I find that more and more in the league, if a guy is going to be an impact player and is ready, it shows right away. Vancouver has a ton of those guys, for instance. Gallagher came up ready. KK worries me because he really hasn't looked like anything special at any time in his career so far.

This year there was a lot of talk that seiter had shown enough to make the jump. But they sent him

back and resisted the temptation to bring him up.

Im of the belief that if someone is ruined by bringing them up to soon... they werent as good as advertised anyways.  I dont think you can ruin a player.

If they succumb to the pressure then they didnt have the mental fortitude to succeed.  Not in the NHL and definitely not in Montreal. 

No matter who you are, you are going to struggle at some point.  Everyone in the league has an off year or has a slump.  Everyone except guys like crosby, mcdavid etc...  if you cant deal with a slump mentally... it doesnt matter if you are 19 or 23... you are going to eventually have that issue and be out of the league.

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Im of the belief that if someone is ruined by bringing them up to soon... they werent as good as advertised anyways.  I dont think you can ruin a player.

If they succumb to the pressure then they didnt have the mental fortitude to succeed.  Not in the NHL and definitely not in Montreal. 

No matter who you are, you are going to struggle at some point.  Everyone in the league has an off year or has a slump.  Everyone except guys like crosby, mcdavid etc...  if you cant deal with a slump mentally... it doesnt matter if you are 19 or 23... you are going to eventually have that issue and be out of the league.

I agree to an extent.  I think you can ruin a guy if and only if you bring him up before he's physically ready, and he gets injured repeatedly as a result.  I'm leaning towards wanting Cauflied to put another year in at Wisconsin (where he'll have lots of time in the weight room and be fed specific meals designed by a nutritionist to put on muscle) because of his slight stature.

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

You can hinder a young skilled player’s development by playing him with 4th line grunts and limited minutes.

Back when Martin was the coach Pacioretty said as much and said he’d rather play in Hamilton where he is going to get minutes with other skilled players.

Sure.  You can hinder a guy by not giving him minutes.

Did Galchenyuk not get minutes? Is KK not getting minutes? Is suzuki?

This isnt the situation with any of the players we are talking about.

I dont want a 19 or 20 year old in the press box or playing Barber minutes from last week but this is literally not the case with any of our guys who we are talking about here.

As for Pacioretty thats a perfect example that you cant "ruin" a guy.  He played over 100 games in the NHL.  Was up with the team for a long time while it was too early.

He went back to the AHL, found his game, came back to the NHL and was a premium scorer.  

He came up too early and wasnt ready... but he was never ruined because of it.

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

As for Pacioretty thats a perfect example that you cant "ruin" a guy.  He played over 100 games in the NHL.  Was up with the team for a long time while it was too early.

He went back to the AHL, found his game, came back to the NHL and was a premium scorer.  

He came up too early and wasnt ready... but he was never ruined because of it.

Because he got the chance to go down.  Did galchenyuk?  He was brought up too early.  Should have finished the year in junior and than there was the whole ongoing drama that he’s a centre, but playing wing, he’s not good enough to be a centre so will be staying on the wing, we’re committees to him as a centre, he’s not good enough to be a centre, so he’ll be a winger.

the way they handled Galchenyuk, is not much different than MB’s “at THIS MOMENT we aren’t selling and trying to get into the playoffs”.  Get a friggin plan and stick with it.

a bit off topic, but happy new year to all and remember we are in 2020 now... :nuts: you may have missed the demise of flip phones, movie rental stores and ruining an 19 year old from playing him 10 min a night at the NHL level... :nuts:

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Because he got the chance to go down.  Did galchenyuk?  He was brought up too early.  Should have finished the year in junior and than there was the whole ongoing drama that he’s a centre, but playing wing, he’s not good enough to be a centre so will be staying on the wing, we’re committees to him as a centre, he’s not good enough to be a centre, so he’ll be a winger.

the way they handled Galchenyuk, is not much different than MB’s “at THIS MOMENT we aren’t selling and trying to get into the playoffs”.  Get a friggin plan and stick with it.

Galchenyuk was played solid minutes for the habs until cj gave up on him. You think sly would have helped him develope better? It's a young players league. Fatendresse, kostitsyn, galchenyuk all bombed because they weren't that good. Not because of development.  Imo.