Scandella to CH for 2020 4th round pick

alfredoh2009

This is awesome!

Finally the upgrade we need on left D. A 4th is basically nothing and who knows, he's a local kid so maybe he'll re-sign.

This makes the Rilliey trade make sense now. 

Wanted him when he was initially dealt to Buffalo. Obviously his stock has lost some of its shine the last two years, but getting him at such a reasonable cost seems a very worthwhile gamble by Bergevin. 

9 minutes ago, Chris said:

If he isn't better then Mete or Kulak, what was the point?

I believe he was a top 4 in Minnesota back when they had one of the better Ds in the league. I haven't followed his career as of late. seems a little suspicious that Buffalo would trade him in the division. 

Julien hasn't been happy with either Kulak or Reilly this season. Scandella will probably slot into the 3rd pair with Fleury and battle with Kulak for that spot.

Also possible he gets the "thank god I'm out of Buffalo" bump in his play and pushes Mete down from the 2nd pair. 

Edit: Scandella is from Montreal, and is the nephew of TSN690 broadcaster and former Habs player Sergio Momesso.

• Upvote 1

• dlbalr changed the title to Scandella to CH for 2020 4th round pick
1 hour ago, Chris said:

If he isn't better then Mete or Kulak, what was the point?

Career ppg

Kulak: .165 ppg

Mete: .186 ppg 

Scandela: .242 ppg 

Chariot: .174 ppg

Reilly: .196 ppg
Petry: 365 ppg

Weber: .585 ppg 

Fleury. .029 ppg

Off the top of my head, the closest three players to Scandella league wide when it comes to career points per game that came to mind first are: 

Nick Holden: .286 ppg 

Dimitry Kulikov: .252 ppg

Ron Hainsey: .278 ppg

That’s only offensive production. No analysis on defensive play or intangibles that they bring. Scandela is better defensively than Reilly though, that’s for sure. +9 on Buffalo this year. 

His advanced stats for this season are really much better than I expected. Best Corsi % (among D), second-best shot %, best goal %, second-best xG %.  He's only played four games so it's a small sample size.

But what did he do to get consistently scratched? Last year his numbers were closer to the bottom, but he was still the fifth-highest ice time. Now, numbers look better but he's sitting on the bench or in the press box.

Excellent trade on the face of it. If he's an upgrade on 2019-20 Kulak, then we at least partially address the team's biggest structural weakness. Kudos for MB for finally helping the team NOW (and also for resisting the temptation to add a body up front rather than thinking structurally). 

1 minute ago, JCPetit said:

Am I mistaken or did I hear on TSN that Scandella was a regular in the press box? If so, I am not sure that he will be much of an upgrade over Kulak or Riley. 

He played in 31 of 41 games this season.  Of the ten he didn't play, he missed two due to illness and six to a lower-body injury.

2 minutes ago, JCPetit said:

I guess that he wasn’t playing the last few games while they tried to trade him.

They've been trying to move him for a while now.  He actually played in their last few games before the trade.

8 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

They've been trying to move him for a while now.  He actually played in their last few games before the trade.

The Google machine is mixed on Scandella. Hockey Forecaster, for instance, says he can handle big minutes but can be burned by fast FWs. Sounds like a #5 who might gust upward to a #4 if the stars align. One thing is that BUF is kind of in melt-down mode, so he may play better in a new environment, with a new coach.

On Overdrive (TSN), they clearly said that he wasn’t playing a lot lately. McKenzie did say that Buffalo tried to trade him from the start of the season. They felt that they were overcrowded on defense and wanted to go with younger players. His salary didn’t help obviously.