Habs sign Ilya Kovalchuk

nhfarber

40 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's part of the hesitance I have as well.  I also think he's benefiting from basically being off for two-plus months; a veteran like him can certainly benefit from that rest.  I'm not saying I'm against an extension (though I don't want to go anywhere near some of the numbers that are being suggested) but I'm still skeptical that he can play at this level over a full 82-game season next year.

I'm saying he should be expected to score 20-25 goals and 45-50 points.  I'm not thinking he's gonna be at the same pace he's been. 

39 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'm saying he should be expected to score 20-25 goals and 45-50 points.  I'm not thinking he's gonna be at the same pace he's been. 

I'm not even that confident of him being able to do that in a full season when he'll be 37. 

16 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Isn't Kovalchuk the perfect candidate for a 1 year performance bonus contract?

That would be the ideal yes. 

Does he want 1 year though, or is he asking for 2. 

I'd give him 2 but no more.

27 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Isn't Kovalchuk the perfect candidate for a 1 year performance bonus contract?

I'm fine with a bonus-laden deal - that's about the only one I'd consider giving him.  Something around a $2.5M - $3M base with $2.5M or so in incentives (games played, goals/points, team playoff appearance).  Less of a guarantee than his old deal in LA but the potential to earn a bit more if he performs well.  (And if he performs well and hits those incentives, he'll be worth the contract.)

Losing Weber the rest of season and also maybe at risk for retirement because of injury we might as well sell now. 
If we can get good return for kovy then sell.

If we get a kings ransom for Tatar then sell.

Better try resigning Petry so we have some veteran skill left on D.