Which players most likely to surprise us all.

PB

Althought the team roster is not definite yet and neighter the way in which Julien will buildup its lines and assign them roles....

Tel me 4 players that could, either have outstandind year or that would bring in, something new that the Ch could no longer live without.

1) Koivu

For his carreer highest points in a season.

2) Kovalev

For the sheer excitement his virtuosity will bring back to

Montreal.

3) Bonk

For the overall benefits his play will bring to the team.

4) Vandermeer

I suspect him to be a nice combination of Begin-Langdon and

therefore to have a permanent role on the 4th line and to be very popular with the fans and very helpfull to the team.

1) Bonk, the big defensive centre we've been wanting/needing.

2) Bulis, it will be his year - career highs all around.

3) Markov, Souray who?

4) And I'm going to cheat and say the line of Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev will give the Habs a true first line for the first time in a long time.

Originally posted by Ginu

Perezhogin... he topped Ovenchkin in Russia, i'm psyched to see how this kid turns out.

What are you talking about here? That's the first I hear of this. I'm pleasantly surprised, of course but how is it that this took place?

Taking into account that you're correct, I wonder if and how much the age/experience difference factor influenced this.

Looking forward to hearing more about this.

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

Originally posted by shortcat1
Originally posted by Ginu

Perezhogin... he topped Ovenchkin in Russia, i'm psyched to see how this kid turns out.

What are you talking about here? That's the first I hear of this. I'm pleasantly surprised, of course but how is it that this took place?

Taking into account that you're correct, I wonder if and how much the age/experience difference factor influenced this.

Looking forward to hearing more about this.

Now, as to who might surprise us... contrary to the comment I made in the under/over-rated string, I'd say that MARCEL HOSSA could very well surprise us. Not a whole lot is expected of him and he may very well turn some heads.

Who else? How about RON HAINSEY? Again, not much is expected of him. He may very well have matured and gotten his head around what he needs to do. Also, the more 'offensive' league that we're supposed to have could very well fit into his playing style.

Hmmm... how about MARK STREIT? A relative unknown who, I believe, is very much in the Brian Rafalski mold. A fast skater, good passer and shooter.

Finally, TOMAS PLEKANEC. He may fit in very well in a third line grouping, giving good defensive coverage & some offense too. This guy's got speed, desire and talent.

There you go.

[Edited on 2005/8/21 by shortcat1]

Great topic. I think the four suprizes this season will include:

Bulis - I pray his breakout is coming, I think Bulis is a compete player with the ability to take it to another level...

Bonk - A big talented center who can bring out the best in his wingers. Montreal are blessed with the depth to provide Bonk with flanks that can do real damage.

Higgins - I think Chris Higgins will make a great transition to the NHL. I love his game and his ethic. Could be hurt by the talk of Vandemeer securing permanent duty on the 4th line, and filling a roster spot.

Perezoghin - I'd love to see this guy earn Dags' spot on the 2nd line. The hype continues to grow about his skills and ability.

I don't know, two rookies on my list... Hossa or Plekanec might make it hard on Higgins or Perezoghin I think all four of these guys are legit. of the four it's probably likely for Higgins to see time in Hamilton.

Also, a defenseman I'd love to see make a significant impression is Dandenault. We acquired him for his versatility and speed with the puck from the backend. His numbers in the past indicate he won't put up Brisebois like totals but we'll see!

HaliHab

Bonk - 20 goals - 50 points

Komisarek - League takes note of 6-4 240lb bohemith on the blueline

Kovalev - revives career in Montreal, records 80+ points

Hossa & Perezhogin - prospects produce double didget goal totals each.

The players that will surprise me will be...pherizhogan on the second line why i say he on it already well...dagenais is a big guy so in bonk so looks like to pair them up on the checkin line no?

pherezhogan on second line will blossem like a beautiful flower, another who will maybe surprise me will be marcel hossa if that lazy kid wakes up then he can be a pretty big threat to some teams and same goes for mr. ron hainsey.

Then u have danis:D that great talent in that young goaltender well looks like he has huets spot till he gets back and for sure mtl will see what that lil boy has in him and to me looks like a great potential player

Then u have kostistyn even tho he doesnt have that great of experiance like everyother player i think mtl will give him a shot and see what he has to show for at his level right now.

Now the best thing that happend to mtl in looooong time when it comes to solid lines:) Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

the amount of points that koivu will make will shock all of us even for the ones who dont like him will learn him great abilities with passes moves scoring assists team leadership all of it. then u have the new guy Kovalev (well not so new but you know hat i mean)well that bad boy will finaly wake up again showing off how many goals he can put up in the boared i say he can put about minimum 37goals behind the net and he also has hands for passing. now here comes the great zednik that can be a 35+ goal scorer while only getting paid 1.8 million he isa god :) and with that line up of koivu and kovalev i can only say watch out. thanks for reading my opinions :)

Originally posted by koivu-11

The players that will surprise me will be...pherizhogan on the second line why i say he on it already well...dagenais is a big guy so in bonk so looks like to pair them up on the checkin line no?

pherezhogan on second line will blossem like a beautiful flower, another who will maybe surprise me will be marcel hossa if that lazy kid wakes up then he can be a pretty big threat to some teams and same goes for mr. ron hainsey.

Then u have danis:D that great talent in that young goaltender well looks like he has huets spot till he gets back and for sure mtl will see what that lil boy has in him and to me looks like a great potential player

Then u have kostistyn even tho he doesnt have that great of experiance like everyother player i think mtl will give him a shot and see what he has to show for at his level right now.

Now the best thing that happend to mtl in looooong time when it comes to solid lines:) Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

the amount of points that koivu will make will shock all of us even for the ones who dont like him will learn him great abilities with passes moves scoring assists team leadership all of it. then u have the new guy Kovalev (well not so new but you know hat i mean)well that bad boy will finaly wake up again showing off how many goals he can put up in the boared i say he can put about minimum 37goals behind the net and he also has hands for passing. now here comes the great zednik that can be a 35+ goal scorer while only getting paid 1.8 million he isa god :) and with that line up of koivu and kovalev i can only say watch out. thanks for reading my opinions :)

Good choice of players.

The KKZ line reminds me of another line with Koivu a few years back. If I'm correct in the season that Damphousse and Turgeon were with Montreal at the same time, at one point in the season, they were 1, 2, 3 in total points in the league. I think they played together. I'm not sure.

[Edited on 2005/8/22 by shortcat1]

No way Koivu and Turgeon played together!

Turgeon was complaininng that he was second line center and Koivu was first-line center. He wanted to be on the first-line. The coach refused so he asked to be traded.

I think that we have the potential for a few surprises this year. I didnt include the rookies like Pergehozin and Pleanak because I expect both of them to make the team. My picks are

Aitken -- a probable minor leaguer, but you never know

Huet-- if his knee is healed then he will be a competent back-up who may steal the odd game

Hossa-- I will be pleasantly surprised if makes the team and ecstatic if he can score on a regular basis

4 biggest suprises you ask...

Now there are some obvious names for big seasons like Kovalev, Koivu, Zednik or even a promising young prospect like Higgins or sophmore like Komo or Ryder. But I expect all of them to do well, these are my top 4 "suprises" this season.

4. Dags. I know not many people put much faith in him, but 17 goals in 50 games is a pretty good steak. If Perezhogin doesn't steal his spot, I think Dags could suprise a lot of us.

3. Perezhogin. To negate my #4 pick, I think Perezhogin is more likely to suprise us. This kid finished in the top 20 in scoring in the RSL last season, and that with all the NHLers playing in the league to boot. Then when you consider this kid played on the 3rd line a lot and didn't get top line PP time, that's some pretty impressive scoring totals. It is reported that Perez is a hard worker, I believe he'll steal Dags spot on the 2nd line and wow us all.

2. Hainsey. Hainsey is coming of age and I think he'll finally mature this year. He'll see the younger Komo in a regular spot and realize his chance is slipping away. Look for him to flourish under the tandem of Julien and Jarvis and step up as the suprise on the blueline this seasaon.

1. And of course my top pick for suprise of the year is Bulis. Not that Bulis doing well will be much of a suprise, he's been our best all around player for a couple seasons now. But this season with Bonk feeding him and making some room for him out there, Bulis will not only be our fastest skater, one of our best checking forwards, our most reliable in our own end forward, but he will light the lamp a bunch too. I think he gained some confidence over in Europe last season and will put up 28 goals this season on top of logging a ton of ice time shutting down the top lines and PP units of our opponents. All habs fans will sing praise of Bulis next summer.

:hlogo:

I don't understand you people!

If he's "most likely" going to surprise us than it's not much of a surprise is it?

I'd say Dagenais, for some reason everyone hates him and expects him to do nothing. I think he's been working hard and when he plays will play well.

Yann Danis- with huet out, he will get to have his NHL debut and I think he will do well

Plekanik- Could become a star in the making

Kovy- probably gonna make some crazy moved like he did in the world cup

Hossa-This is probably his final try with the habs

[Edited on 2005/8/28 by goalieguy]

well

dagenais did score 17 in 50 games, that would give him 27.88 goals for a whole year.

maybe komi will suprise us by scoring a goal !!

I would love to see theo suprise us with a stellar year like the one 3 years ago

Komi hasn't scored a goal????:?-

HA!

Our goalie has more NHL goals than one of our top defenseman!!:P

Oh, that was a surprise and a memorable moment!:hlogo:

Jose will have his best season ever and finish in the top 3 of every goaltending category. With the new open ice policy he is already a veteran of seeing 10,000 shots per night. Coupled with the new goaltender equipment shrinkage policy, oLd Goalies will be shocked to see that equipment cannot stop the puck anymore. It is going to take talent and Jose should shine!