Habs trade Scandella to St. Louis

Trizzak

56 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That’s a actually a great return.  If we can get that for Scandella. Petry amd Tatar should bring two 1st rounders or a 1st and a high end prospect!

That was my guess too when I proposed trades for them in the other thread 

To me, Petry should be traded despite the short term loss of talent because of the high return he’ll get

Tatar I would keep, like we kept Koivu and Gionta until their contracts ran out

12 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

That was my guess too when I proposed trades for them in the other thread 

To me, Petry should be traded despite the short term loss of talent because of the high return he’ll get

Tatar I would keep, like we kept Koivu and Gionta until their contracts ran out

I’d move both if we can get 1st rounders plus.  If we are going to build through the draft, then I’d like to get a maximum number of #1 picks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/12/2020 at 9:12 PM, tomh009 said:

The conditional pick is looking less likely now.

Surprisingly, Scandella signed a four-year extension worth $3.275M per year today so the Habs get the fourth rounder.  I can't say I saw him getting that type of money and with Alex Pietrangelo slated to become a free agent, what are the Blues doing signing a 4/5 guy at best to that type of contract?

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Surprisingly, Scandella signed a four-year extension worth $3.275M per year today so the Habs get the fourth rounder.  I can't say I saw him getting that type of money and with Alex Pietrangelo slated to become a free agent, what are the Blues doing signing a 4/5 guy at best to that type of contract?

The Blues have 5.45 million in cap space now for next season with Pietro to sign. 

I could see a nice mid-level offer sheet for Vince Dunn... LHD, moves the puck well, outstanding analytics.... wouldn't be too costly. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The Blues have 5.45 million in cap space now for next season with Pietro to sign. 

I could see a nice mid-level offer sheet for Vince Dunn... LHD, moves the puck well, outstanding analytics.... wouldn't be too costly. 

And that's based on an $84M cap. That's not very likely, is it?

22 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Blues GM has the newest cup ring, so must be doing something right.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2020 at 12:41 PM, DON said:

Blues GM has the newest cup ring, so must be doing something right.

He *did* something right - especially swing the O'Reilly deal (which as I recall many fans posted snarky "OMG what idiots!" comments about). It doesn't follow that this deal makes sense. That said, I liked Scandella - almost the prototypical #5 d-man IMHO.

49 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He *did* something right - especially swing the O'Reilly deal (which as I recall many fans posted snarky "OMG what idiots!" comments about). It doesn't follow that this deal makes sense. That said, I liked Scandella - almost the prototypical #5 d-man IMHO.

Almost feel bad for Sabres, always seem to make deals that just don't work out.

I wasn't an OReilly fan, but he is pretty solid all round player for sure.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Almost feel bad for Sabres, always seem to make deals that just don't work out.

I wasn't an OReilly fan, but he is pretty solid all round player for sure.

I am glad you said almost. I don't feel sorry for organizations that make bad decisions and the Sabres have obviously made a lot of them. They have had a number of high picks but just can't seem to make the pieces fit, in that cycle of always rushing young guys like the Oilers did for a long time. I think Eichel is getting tired of losing, he is a heckuva player.  O'Reilly was certainly a perfect fit for the Blues. 

38 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I am glad you said almost. I don't feel sorry for organizations that make bad decisions and the Sabres have obviously made a lot of them. They have had a number of high picks but just can't seem to make the pieces fit, in that cycle of always rushing young guys like the Oilers did for a long time. I think Eichel is getting tired of losing, he is a heckuva player.  O'Reilly was certainly a perfect fit for the Blues. 

It's a nice illustration of how tanking doesn't automatically lead to winning.

As for rushing players along, hey - it's not like ye Habs know anything about that, Lord no 😉

18 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's a nice illustration of how tanking doesn't automatically lead to winning.

As for rushing players along, hey - it's not like ye Habs know anything about that, Lord no 😉

Yup, agree with your points.  Habs have definitely been guilty of that. 

• 3 months later...

On 2/18/2020 at 6:57 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Good deal, obviously.

I'm a little disappointed that Scandella wasn't willing to negotiate , given all his blather about playing in Montreal being a "dream," etc.. I liked him all right and thought he was a decent fit, especially considering that he's LD. Of course, he can still sign with us come July 1, but that sort of trade-and-resign thing doesn't seem to happen very often. Oh well. Still good asset management.

Ya, he wasnt great, but he was decent and I thought he would be around for a while.  I figured the Habs planned on resigning him, but apparently the Blues already have. 

On 2/18/2020 at 7:08 PM, Commandant said:

Hes not a top 4 guy.. and honestly i wasnt impressed.  Hes not really an upgrade on Mete or Kulak.

We need a legit top pair LHD.  Having more and more 3rd pair guys isnt a substitute for that.  

For me, it's bye felicia.

The Habs pk was better with him on the team so I was bummed to see him go for that reason.  Same with Kovulchuk too, he improved the pp.  The Habs were already good 5 on 5, but their pp and pk sucked all year and were greatly improving every week after picking them up.  It's like MB solved those issues and then undid it, but then they had no chance of making the playoffs after that.   I wasn't a big fan of either of those trades, even though they had a slim chance at making the playoffs.

However, fast forward to today, when they have actually made the playoffs.  Were those pics worth it now that they're in the playoffs?  They would be better with them. 

On 4/16/2020 at 8:23 PM, Commandant said:

With the $81M cap, the Blues are now down to $2M left. Pietrangelo is currently at $6.5M, and they need to fill three more roster spots, too. Even before Dunn, they will need to dump salary.

Dunn and Scandella for Hudon and Ouellette? 🤣

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

With the $81M cap, the Blues are now down to $2M left. Pietrangelo is currently at $6.5M, and they need to fill three more roster spots, too. Even before Dunn, they will need to dump salary.

I'd actually try and take Allan as well and squeeze a high draft pick.  

I also wonder depending on the team that gets the #1 overall (i.e. not a team against the cap like the hawks, oilers, or the leafs if they lose), if we can try and get the #1 overall by trading our pick with additional youngish players that would help those teams right away.  Say offering our #1 and Domi or even our #1 and Domi and Drouin for the overall #1.  Would  offensively challenged teams like Nashville or Minnesota bite?  Although Nashville would have to clear cap room (which we could facilitate by taking on Rinne).

i think Domi would be a loss, but I really want to use Drouin to get back a real player to replace the tin man without a heart and the scarecrow without a brain.

11 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... Same with Kovulchuk too, he improved the pp ...

Ilya had 2 PP points (1g, 1a) in his 22 games with the Habs ... their PP was at 14.5% in that time, vs 17.7% overall ... not certain he added much to the PP

I think his first 15 games (5g, 6a) were so impressive that we didn't notice that he delivered little on the PP and had somewhat cooled off in his last 7 games (5-on-5, 1g, 1a ... PP nothing) 

THAT SAID ... I was a big supporter of signing him and if the 20/21 was very impressed by his effort and attitude.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Dunn is very tempting ... but with Chiarot in place, Kulak playing well with Petry, Romanov and Norlinder in the pipeline and Mete as a 6/7 LHD is Dunn a good investment of picks and cap space?  The variables are of course how well Romanov and Norlinder pan out and where the Habs see Chiarot after his contract expires after 21/22

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Dunn is very tempting ... but with Chiarot in place, Kulak playing well with Petry, Romanov and Norlinder in the pipeline and Mete as a 6/7 LHD is Dunn a good investment of picks and cap space?  The variables are of course how well Romanov and Norlinder pan out and where the Habs see Chiarot after his contract expires after 21/22

I know we're all excited, but Kulak has had four strong games after a disastrous season. Be careful about pencilling him in as a sure thing. Czar may be close to a guaranteed NHLer but Norlinder, really? 

We should also be thinking about who is going to eventually replace Weber and Petry on RD. Those guys are playing unbelievable, but for how many more years - ?

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... We should also be thinking about who is going to eventually replace Weber and Petry on RD. Those guys are playing unbelievable, but for how many more years - ?

Absolutely ... and while I do not predict it will happen, neither would I be shocked if Weber is traded next summer (maybe in some way related to the Seattle draft) ... but I do subscribe to the "move them one year too soon rather than one year too late" theory

6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Absolutely ... and while I do not predict it will happen, neither would I be shocked if Weber is traded next summer (maybe in some way related to the Seattle draft) ... but I do subscribe to the "move them one year too soon rather than one year too late" theory

Juulsen, Fleury, Brooks ?

49 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Juulsen, Fleury, Brooks ?

Very much liked what Juulsen showed two years ago, it will be interesting to see what he can do in 20/21 ... Fleury showed great promise IMO this past season and could develop into a sold 2nd pairing RHD ... Josh Brooks seems to need another year in Laval to see if he has NHL potential ...***  if *** the Habs were to choose to move out any veterans RHD could be a target for prospects in return as well

9 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Ilya had 2 PP points (1g, 1a) in his 22 games with the Habs ... their PP was at 14.5% in that time, vs 17.7% overall ... not certain he added much to the PP

I think his first 15 games (5g, 6a) were so impressive that we didn't notice that he delivered little on the PP and had somewhat cooled off in his last 7 games (5-on-5, 1g, 1a ... PP nothing) 

THAT SAID ... I was a big supporter of signing him and if the 20/21 was very impressed by his effort and attitude.

It's funny because you're right, he didnt get than many PP points, but their PP was going up in the ranking every week since they picked him up.  As was their PK after getting Scandella.  It's like the both gave the team more confidence and they all played a bit better.  The impact of some payers do not always show up on score sheets.  ex:  Ilya goes out on PP, they have numerous chances, they change, and the 2nd unit scores due to the 1st shifts momentum. 

If they hadnt been traded and the season wasnt stopped it looked like the Habs PP & PK would have kept increasing with them finishing in the top 15 vs bottom 25. 

Thats why I was optimistic before the trade deadline.  I didn't like the throw in the towel and tank the season attitude and would have preferred MB kept them.  Trading them was almost an admittance he had screwed up and they are not good enough and have no chance. 

6 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

It's funny because you're right, he didnt get than many PP points, but their PP was going up in the ranking every week since they picked him up.  As was their PK after getting Scandella.  It's like the both gave the team more confidence and they all played a bit better.  The impact of some payers do not always show up on score sheets.  ex:  Ilya goes out on PP, they have numerous chances, they change, and the 2nd unit scores due to the 1st shifts momentum. 

If they hadnt been traded and the season wasnt stopped it looked like the Habs PP & PK would have kept increasing with them finishing in the top 15 vs bottom 25. 

Thats why I was optimistic before the trade deadline.  I didn't like the throw in the towel and tank the season attitude and would have preferred MB kept them.  Trading them was almost an admittance he had screwed up and they are not good enough and have no chance. 

The question is, I know that he is not a centre, but if Kovalchuk was still here, would KK and Suzuki have gotten as much ice time as they have?  Maybe they still would have since they are centres and who knows, Kovalchuk might have actually taken Weise out of the lineup, but had this been a regular season we wouldn’t have been talking playoffs anyways. KK was done and Suzuki was showing signs of 1st year, end of year fatigue.

There’s lots of things I blame MB for, trading those two at the deadline is not among them. 

21 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I will be shocked if MB ever moves Weber. Or rather, the only way I see him moving Weber is if Weber is obviously, completely washed up. I don't think MB has the imagination either to anticipate Weber's decline (this man does not believe in "windows," remember), or to see past Weber's all-consuming aura of Old School Character and Leadership. Otherwise put, Weber (like Price) will be immune from any calculations of asset-management, irrespective of whether such calculations would improve the chances of winning.

On 8/9/2020 at 12:42 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I will be shocked if MB ever moves Weber. Or rather, the only way I see him moving Weber is if Weber is obviously, completely washed up. I don't think MB has the imagination either to anticipate Weber's decline (this man does not believe in "windows," remember), or to see past Weber's all-consuming aura of Old School Character and Leadership. Otherwise put, Weber (like Price) will be immune from any calculations of asset-management, irrespective of whether such calculations would improve the chances of winning.

He found a way to move Bourque that was a Win... maybe if it is needed he will