Perezhogin - Justified?

Zowpeb

I seriously question if you've seen Perezhogin play when you call him a "thug" with no defensive game.

Perezhogin is far from a thug...and if this is coming from the suspension incident it's laughable. He also has a pretty solid 2 way game.

I also fail to see the value of playing Higgins or Perezhogin on the 4th line when they could continue to learn/develop with more minutes in the AHL. It would be plainly stupid to play high calibre prospects for 8-10 minutes per game. In Plekanec's case you have a prospect with a lower ceiling then both other guys and he's already proven that he's learned everything he can in the AHL.

Personally, I think all 3 guys should make this team with Zhog on the 2nd line and Higgins on the 3rd line...assuming they don't blow up in training camp of course.

Dagenais and Hossa are both depth guys IMO.

Perogy is no thug. (Funny how we each have a different nickname for him.) He'll play second line with Ribs and Ryder.

The third line is full unless Higgins is ready to take Sundstroms spot. Sundstrom can then play fourth-line with Bégin and Plekanec.

1st line is obvious. Except for the start of the season when Julien wants to try some stuff out.

Originally posted by Zowpeb

Perezhogin is far from a thug...and if this is coming from the suspension incident it's laughable.  He also has a pretty solid 2 way game.

That's exactly where it's coming from. I've seen the play many times. I fully defend his choice to defend himself and think his suspension was too long compared to Bertuzzi. At the same time, his retaliation was just stupid. If you're going to defend yourself, use your own two hands and beat the tar out of a guy. Don't swing your stick like a deadly weapon.

[Edited on 8-24-05 by Fanpuck33]

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

Perezhogin is far from a thug...and if this is coming from the suspension incident it's laughable.  He also has a pretty solid 2 way game.

That's exactly where it's coming from. I fully defend his choice to defend himself and think his suspension was too long compared to Bertuzzi. At the same time, his retaliation was just stupid. If you're going to defend yourself, use your own two hands and beat the tar out of a guy. Don't swing your stick like a deadly weapon.

So he's a thug because he slashed someone? Every player in the league has received a slashing penalty before. His was just.... more severe.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

So he's a thug because he slashed someone? Every player in the league has received a slashing penalty before. His was just.... more severe.

That was more than your every day, 2 minute penalty slash. He looked like a lumbejack hacking at a tree with an axe.

[Edited on 8-24-05 by Fanpuck33]

That doesn't make him a thug. Can you see Perogy walking down a dark alley shooting people with a ski mask on?:wall:

I consider lots of people thugs who I don't see shooting somebody in a dark ally. I'm just saying most people would not have reacted the way he did. Retaliation was deserved, but his reaction was ridiculous. All I he had to do was figure out who hit him and drop the gloves. If you're going to stand up for yourself, do it like a man.

I consider lots of people thugs who I don't see shooting somebody in a dark ally.  I'm just saying most people would not have reacted the way he did. Retaliation was deserved, but his reaction was ridiculous.  All I he had to do was figure out who hit him and drop the gloves.  If you're going to stand up for yourself, do it like a man.

If you REALLY want to know what kind of player/person Perezhogin is, check this site:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_bio.asp...315&hubName=MTL

Now, look at his Career Stats & Playoff Stats, especially in the year he played with Hamilton. You'll see that this guy had 68 PENALTY MINUTES IN 82 GAMES PLAYED. In his whole career, this guy averaged less than one minute of penalty time per game. Some dangerous man.

What happened there was a knee-jerk thing with the other guy's head at the wrong place. What would have happened if Perezhogin's head had been 4 inches higher or the swing 4 inches lower when the other player swung his stick? It was accidental. By the way, the other guy had a very similar penalty record as did Perezhogin. Both were not the kind of player who do that. The incident was out of character for both of them.

Oh, and you'll also see in the Scouting Report above the comment: "Needs to work on keeping his emotions in check." WHAT GARBAGE!!!! Anyone who's only got 68 penalty minutes in 82 games does very well at that considering all the hacking, slashing and other similar stuff that he had to endure (like most players do).

[Edited on 2005/8/25 by shortcat1]

I realize that it was out of character for him, but I can't just put it behind me. The only time you swing a weapon like that is if your life is in danger. I can't put his reaction past me. Like I've said, I would have had no problem if he'd just beat the tar out of the guy. Instead, he made the mistake of swinging his stick like a deadly weapon. I realize it was a split sceond decision, but that doesn't justify it.

At the same time, his punishment was ridiculous compared to Bertuzzi and McSorely.

Perezhogin is definitley not a thug, and shouldn't be labeled one for any reason.

He made a mistake, he admitted that he made a mistake, and he was definitley punished for his mistake. More so than the instigator, I forget who he was, who swung his stick first. He should have been punished harder, and the only reason he wasn't was because he ended up with the concusion.

Perezhogin has served his time, and hasn't had a re-occurance since. Hopefully he can develop his game and become a capable contributor to the Montreal Canadiens. I think he can play with Ribeiro and Ryder on the second line and hopefully produce.

I see Higgins and the stronger defensive player and more of a third line player, maybe on a line with Bonk and Hossa. Higgins and Hossa have some idea about each others game playing in Hamilton a few years ago, and I think that could be a interesting line with size, speed, scoring ability, work ethic and defensive ability

Just a bit more on that same matter...

With regards to the exaggerated comment about Perezhogin having to work on keeping his emotions in control...

The only thing that Perezhogin will have to work on when he comes back, in this context, will be to ignore or rise above the harassing he WILL get from others who will jump on this incident in order to distract or 'disable' him, just like Mathieu Schneider had to suffer because he's Jewish and some of the black players had to suffer because of their skin colour.

I can only hope that Perezhogin, if he actually decides to come back and play here, will have the support, the backing, the protection that he will surely need from his team-mates and the Canadiens organization (EVEN if or when he should lose his cool again).

Perezhogin will be our top rookie this season. I've got a gutt feeling he'll put up 27 goals and 60 points. He's got good speed and awesome hands. And I've read from many, many sources that he is one of the hardest working players on the ice, always.

I just can't see how anyone could consider him a goon though. I don't see how swinging your stick back at waist level after nearly being decapitated makes hima goon. If that knob wasn't on his knees, it would have been a 2 minute penalty instead of a 1 year suspension. Watch Ribs this season too, with Perezhogin and Ryder on his line, he could put up over 70 points.

:hlogo::ghg:

[Edited on 8/25/2005 by Carbo21]

I consider lots of people thugs who I don't see shooting somebody in a dark ally. I'm just saying most people would not have reacted the way he did. Retaliation was deserved, but his reaction was ridiculous. All I he had to do was figure out who hit him and drop the gloves. If you're going to stand up for yourself, do it like a man.

It's far too easy for you to say this, without being in the situation of someone slashing you in the head you have NO IDEA what your immediate reaction would be.

You can say that you wouldn't react that way but the reality is that you really don't know what your instant reaction would be. There are too many variables that affect such a reaction...things like what's occured to you earlier in the game, type of reffing, good day/bad day, fatigue, etc, all play a factor in how someone reacts mid-game. NO ONE has any idea how they would react to an incident like getting hammered in the head by someone's stick. Apparently, on that given day and in it's context, Perezhogin felt the need to fight fire with fire. Perezhogin's suspension was a failure by the AHL to send the correct message...that the initial instigation of incidents like this are also not tolerated. For the record I'd be okay with Zhog's suspension if it was equal to Staffords(I think that was his name...).

Face the reality of the situation. He dished out the EXACT same treatment that occured to him. The only differences, and this first one is in Perezhogins favour, is that Zhog's was a more immediate, heat of the moment, reaction. The second difference is that Perezhogin has better hands...and got the guy square in the face...probably because he's a better prospect LOL.

You can say that you wouldn't react that way but the reality is that you really don't know what your instant reaction would be.  There are too many variables that affect such a reaction...things like what's occured to you earlier in the game, type of reffing, good day/bad day, fatigue, etc, all play a factor in how someone reacts mid-game.  NO ONE has any idea how they would react to an incident like getting hammered in the head by someone's stick.  Apparently, on that given day and in it's context, Perezhogin felt the need to fight fire with fire.

I don't care how bad of a day he was having. The way he swung that stick, he could have killed somebody. I'm not saying I wouldn't have done the same thing, but that doesn't make it right. I realize how instant the decision was, but that also doesn't make it right.

Perezhogin's suspension was a failure by the AHL to send the correct message...that the initial instigation of incidents like this are also not tolerated.  For the record I'd be okay with Zhog's suspension if it was equal to Staffords(I think that was his name...)

As I've said before, I agree that his suspension was unfair, given both the fact that Stafford got like 10 games and that Bertuzzi got 23 games for a pre-meditated act.

Does anyone remember the rocket riot? that was an intentional slash to the head, obvious stick swing, to the head, no helmets! We got behind our star and supported him. How could any Habs fan be down on our brightest prospect? Next time lets hope he retaliates with his fist, but at least he did stand up for himself, and I for one don't want a watered down game. Tempers flare and that is a big part of the game, the adrenaline. Sometimes it gets out of hand but that IS hockey. Oldtime. I don't want baseball. Although they do have more bench clearers then us now. Oh, and why does the American audience need a winner? What is wrong with a tie?

The simple matter of fact is that Perezhogin commited a stupid act. He was heavily punished, admitted that he was wrong, and in this country, when you punished and serve your time and are properly remorsefull, you are given a second chance. Perezhogin is not a thug. Except for one split second lack of judgement he's been a model player, and probably will be again for the rest of his life.

Its not like the other player is a Steve Moore, who's probably never going to play hockey again. He has recovered and got to play last year.

As for getting behind him. Yes now that hes back from his suspension and moving forward, he should have all the support in the world. He did something stupid, took his lumps like a man, and its hopefully better now for it

Originally posted by johnnyhasbeen

Oh, and why does the American audience need a winner? What is wrong with a tie?

I agree completely. I hate that the NHL is going to shootouts. Penalty shots are special because they are so rare. Now they will happen routinely.