Jump to content

Kovalchuk traded to Washington


dlbalr
 Share

Recommended Posts

Cashing the chips found on the casino floor. Would have loved a conditional pick that turns into a 2nd with some playoff rounds won, but it is what it is. Habs now have 8 picks in the first half of the draft (and could have 9 if Winnipeg drops off.)

 

Thanks for 7 weeks of highlights, Kovy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

I was hoping for a 2nd round at the deadline, with a desperate team still looking to pickup something towards the end of Monday. With such a small cap hit he was definitely intriguing to some teams. 

Would of probably got one if he was package with someone else 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's unlikely Washington will have the cap space to sign him next season. They are also a contender and could get Kovalchuk a cup this summer, and he gets to play with Ovechkin for a few months which would be a couple checkmarks on his bucket list. I'd say the Habs have a pretty good shot at signing him July 1st. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

Who do you think they could have packaged to get a 2nd rounder?  Just curious.

 

If they had added Petry and Tatar to the package, I'm sure they could have asked for a second rounder! 🤣🤣🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not happy to see him go, but if he was going to go somewhere, glad it was Washington (who I follow closely and root for).  Better for him to play for a contender the rest of the season, and not just play out a string of meaningless games for the Habs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

Who do you think they could have packaged to get a 2nd rounder?  Just curious.

Guys like weal or Thompson or even cousins could of gotten a 2nd round pick along with kovalchuk. They're all players that could of added more depth to the caps and not add a lot to the payroll.

 

But it's just all here say now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Habsfan89 said:

Guys like weal or Thompson or even cousins could of gotten a 2nd round pick along with kovalchuk. They're all players that could of added more depth to the caps and not add a lot to the payroll.

 

But it's just all here say now.

 

I might agree on Thompson (it depends how many teams want centre depth - we'll see what he goes for) but the other two have minimal standalone value.  Cousins I'd peg around a 6th (he's a surefire non-tender in June due to arbitration eligibility and doesn't really fill any particular role) while Weal would probably need to be a player-player swap and one of those elements added to a third-rounder probably doesn't add up to a second-rounder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Decent return I guess, though whoever gets taken in the late 80's probably won't amount to much. We sure have a lot of middling picks to throw around in June, maybe they can add up to a good player via trade.

 

I'm glad, though, that we can stop talking about re-signing him for a while. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

I might agree on Thompson (it depends how many teams want centre depth - we'll see what he goes for) but the other two have minimal standalone value.  Cousins I'd peg around a 6th (he's a surefire non-tender in June due to arbitration eligibility and doesn't really fill any particular role) while Weal would probably need to be a player-player swap and one of those elements added to a third-rounder probably doesn't add up to a second-rounder.

Yeah alone,

But I am saying if you package anyone of those guys together with kovalchuk you could get a 2nd. And these guys are the type of depth 3rd/4th line players playoff teams love to add.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Yeah alone,

But I am saying if you package anyone of those guys together with kovalchuk you could get a 2nd. And these guys are the type of depth 3rd/4th line players playoff teams love to add.

 

Go through the draft pick trades at the draft - does a 3rd and a 6th (Cousins' value) get a 2nd?  No.  Does a 3rd and a depth player (Weal) do it?  No.  That's why the standalone values matter.  If Thompson gets a 3rd, then I think you have a case as the 3rd (Kovalchuk's standalone value) and the other 3rd (Thompson's hypothetical value) could get a 2nd based on past transaction history.  Having said that, given Bergevin's tendency to trade down, he might actually prefer the extra quantity of picks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So will Kulak keep 77 or go back to 17? 
 

All of the injured players he was signed to replace are back. Liked seeing him play for the Habs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

Go through the draft pick trades at the draft - does a 3rd and a 6th (Cousins' value) get a 2nd?  No.  Does a 3rd and a depth player (Weal) do it?  No.  That's why the standalone values matter.  If Thompson gets a 3rd, then I think you have a case as the 3rd (Kovalchuk's standalone value) and the other 3rd (Thompson's hypothetical value) could get a 2nd based on past transaction history.  Having said that, given Bergevin's tendency to trade down, he might actually prefer the extra quantity of picks.

Draft picks are only vaule by teams that are rebuilding. Playoff teams don't vaule draft picks because they vaule long playoff run's more. Late round draft picks don't mean as much as early round picks.  

 

Kovalchuk/weal for example would be worth a 2nd to a playoff team because of the added depth it brings to their playoff run. plus weal is under contract for an extra year,  Kovalchuk + Weal would bring them more vaule then drafting someone in the 2nd round.

 

You think Pittsburgh would of given up that 1st is it was a top 12 pick no.  But they believe the player they got back gave them more vaule then picking anywhere from 20-32.

 

But its all just water cooler talk anyway. He did a good job getting a 3rd for the vaule.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...