Kovalchuk traded to Washington

dlbalr

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Bingo. 
We only get bums like Alzner.

That's why MB came to the realization (finally) that chasing free agents doesn't work,  better to build from within by drafting and developing (need to do better at developing) rather than overpaying for free agents. Alzner was obviously a mistake. 

12 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That's why MB came to the realization (finally) that chasing free agents doesn't work,  better to build from within by drafting and developing (need to do better at developing) rather than overpaying for free agents. Alzner was obviously a mistake. 

So was not moving Petry and Tatar in a year where teams were overpaying for marginal players.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

So was not moving Petry and Tatar in a year where teams were overpaying for marginal players.

His plan is to make playoffs next season.  Why would he move Tatar and Petry ?

• Upvote 1

because they haven't and wont make the playoffs with them, 

this team is rotten from MB all the way down, 

Not saying they aren;t good players, jut nothing works and not enough wins and no playoffs, 

45 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Because they aren’t going to make the playoffs next year.  They aren’t going to leapfrog the bruins or lightening.  Can’t see them being better than the leafs or panthers either. I had them as 5th in the Atlantic at best this year and don’t see them being any different next year.

47 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Because both will be walking next summer of course.

4 hours ago, DON said:

Because both will be walking next summer of course.

Ding ding

I would have split the difference and moved Tatar while keeping Petry, assuming a strong return. You know, it doesn't have to be either/or (as in, either we eject all our core players, or wee keep all our core players).

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ding ding

I would have split the difference and moved Tatar while keeping Petry, assuming a strong return. You know, it doesn't have to be either/or (as in, either we eject all our core players, or wee keep all our core players).

As i said in the pther thread.  There is no evidence that a huge package for Tatar or Petry was ever offered.  No player of their profile moved for a lot and Palmeiri and Kreider both stayed with their teams.

Fitzgerald was adamant in his press conference that the offers for Palmeiri were nothing close to what he would find acceptable.

11 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Perhaps, if Barclay Goodrow is worth a 1st round pick (albeit a late 1st round pick), then you have to think Tatar would have fetched a good return. Tatar is easier to replace than Petry which would have left a gaping hole on defence.  We will never know what was offered for Tatar as teams prefer to keep that quiet which is understandable but if Goodrow got a 1st??

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Perhaps, if Barclay Goodrow is worth a 1st round pick (albeit a late 1st round pick), then you have to think Tatar would have fetched a good return. Tatar is easier to replace than Petry which would have left a gaping hole on defence.  We will never know what was offered for Tatar as teams prefer to keep that quiet which is understandable but if Goodrow got a 1st??

Goodrow i think is a little different situation.  He is a player on a contract for this season and next at under $1 million.  Tampa is desperate for this type of player as their cap situation is screwed this summer. 

Tatar is more comparable to Palmeiri and Krieder, scoring wingers, on deals of 4.5m+ who didn't move. 

9 hours ago, Chris said:

because they haven't and wont make the playoffs with them, 

this team is rotten from MB all the way down, 

Not saying they aren;t good players, jut nothing works and not enough wins and no playoffs, 

Chris you are definitely a glass is half empty kind of guy.  

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Goodrow i think is a little different situation.  He is a player on a contract for this season and next at under $1 million.  Tampa is desperate for this type of player as their cap situation is screwed this summer. 

Tatar is more comparable to Palmeiri and Krieder, scoring wingers, on deals of 4.5m+ who didn't move. 

True, Tatar's contract  is much higher which complicates things but a 1st round pick is a lot to give up for a marginal player. 

What really surprised me also  is New York trading Brady Skjei to Carolina. Aren't they competing for a wild card spot? 

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

True, Tatar's contract  is much higher which complicates things but a 1st round pick is a lot to give up for a marginal player. 

What really surprised me also  is New York trading Brady Skjei to Carolina. Aren't they competing for a wild card spot? 

I think without Shesterkin, they think they are competing next year, not this one.  And their own cap crunch was going to lead to someone out the door, in this case Skjei. 

I wish the Habs would have been able to get in on that.  Cheap price for a 25 year old puck mover, signed long term.  

I also think Brisebois paid way too much for Goodrow, but I see why he is desperate for that type of contract.

5 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Chris you are definitely a glass is half empty kind of guy.  

Not as empty as the habs record for the past 5 years.

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

They traded Skjei because of the looming cap crunch which was only exacerbated by the Kreider extension.  Their GM had said they weren't going to led the record dictate their activity (although they didn't move Jesper Fast).  I really didn't like that deal for them - I think they could have done better at the draft.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

They traded Skjei because of the looming cap crunch which was only exacerbated by the Kreider extension.  Their GM had said they weren't going to led the record dictate their activity (although they didn't move Jesper Fast).  I really didn't like that deal for them - I think they could have done better at the draft.

Makes more sense to me now.  Thanks 

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You make it sound like the Habs have been horrible every year.  Last year they had 44 wins 30 losses and 8 ties. Are you telling me that's a terrible record?

Did they make the playoffs last year?  No, so don’t give a damn how many wins they had.missed 3 out of 4 year.  So, I guess you can say the glass should only be quarter full

its missing 4 out 5 years, 

I could GM a team that poorly, 

I could also draft as poorly and only have 2 players on the team in 8 years of drafting. a solid 3rd line LW and a 6 or 7 Dman, 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Did they make the playoffs last year?  No, so don’t give a damn how many wins they had.missed 3 out of 4 year.  So, I guess you can say the glass should only be quarter full

Shocking how low the bar has become for some Habs fans. A quarter century of mediocrity will do that to a fanbase 

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Shocking how low the bar has become for some Habs fans. A quarter century of mediocrity will do that to a fanbase 

I guess I could choose to spend a lot of my time analyzing the last 25 years or I could spend my time thinking about what they should do at this point in time to get us to be cup contenders. I prefer to look forward rather than whining about the past. I apologize if that doesn't sit well with some people. 

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, but they’re drinking the MB kool-aid.  You know it’s a hard league.  Hard to make a trade, hard to sign UFA’a.  Drafting is like playing roulette.  You don’t have to be competent ,anymore, all you need to be is lucky.  And hey, we’ve drafted more nhlers than most teams - so what if they are 3th line grunts, depth forwards and dmen.  They managed to play SOME games in the NHL - that’s all that matters.  All that is imperative is that we HOPE that we are lucky enough to make the playoffs - because you know what, once you make the playoffs, anything can happen.  Look at last year. It didn’t matter that they had tarasenko, O’Reilly, schenn, peiterangelo, paryko and a Dryden like rookie as part of their core with good complementary prices.  No, It was just dumb plain luck once the managed to get into the playoffs as the 8th seed they had an equal chance as any other team of winning.  If the habs squeaked in, their core was just as solid too have won the cup.  All that is needed is luck.  We should just have Maggie the monkey on tsn spin the wheel now and that’s how the cup should be awarded, because like MB said, drafting and development is like spinning a roulette wheel and getting lucky and the stats guys all say we have just had bad luck.  Our shooting percentages are low, because of bad luck, lack of finish has nothing to do with skill - it’s all plain dumb luck.

10 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I guess I could choose to spend a lot of my time analyzing the last 25 years or I could spend my time thinking about what they should do at this point in time to get us to be cup contenders. I prefer to look forward rather than whining about the past. I apologize if that doesn't sit well with some people. 

What they should do is blow this shit show up - starting with management and start from scratch, just keeping the good prospects and a few veterans for guiding the young guys and being in a lot of new blood.   We don’t need a reset, we need a take down the friggin Berlin Wall rebuild.