Thompson to Flyers for 2021 5th

Habsfan84

8 minutes ago, Habsfan84 said:

A 5th round is a bit of an underwhelming return considering we gave up a 4th to acquire him originally from LA.

We gave up a 4th to get Thompson AND A 5TH

so getting a straight 5th is actually better value. 

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

We gave up a 4th to get Thompson AND A 5TH

so getting a straight 5th is actually better value. 

You would always trade a fourth for two fifths? I guess your based on percentages of actually finding talent that far back but I would say at best they are an equal value. 

7 minutes ago, Habsfan84 said:

You would always trade a fourth for two fifths? I guess your based on percentages of actually finding talent that far back but I would say at best they are an equal value. 

Both are very low chance of finding talent.  Having two fifths is always better than 1 fourth rounder, statistically speaking.... I'd have to look up the actual numbers so don't quote these, but a fourth rounder is like a 10% chance of being a productive NHLer, and a fifth rounder is like a 9% chance.... so having 2 fifth rounders is better. 

The further you get down the draft, the smaller and smaller the percentage difference of each pick... so its always better to have the two later picks, each swing is a low chance of success so you want more swings. 

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I thought Thompson had actually bolstered his value this year showing that he can keep up in the quick Eastern Conference.  I'm a bit underwhelmed myself on this one.

Agreed.  It seems to me that teams didn't seem to be throwing around the type of value that they were a few days ago.  After getting a 2nd and conditional 4th for Scandella, I think I was expecting teams to overpay a bit at this year's deadline.  It just didn't seem to be the case as the market seemingly went back to normal.

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I thought Thompson had actually bolstered his value this year showing that he can keep up in the quick Eastern Conference.  I'm a bit underwhelmed myself on this one.

Perhaps some scout read Thompson's new book "How to hit the post from 5 feet when have an open net to shoot at."