Bondra

johnnyhasbeen

Just wondering what you all would think if we were to pick up Bondra, as he is probably the best forward left out there, urfa. With Luongo signing, Theo should follow soon for same price range, leaving some extra head room in the budget. Team could use one more experiance forward, that can finish.

:eyes:

I dont know whether or not he played during the lock out... but id be concerned with how much gas he has left in his tank.

Probably be a bargain for that reason, I think we have a great team but not enough old blood mixed in, to keep them thinking ahead when we have our slumps. He still would have the hands, not the speed and moves but our young guns have that

Absolutley not needed. Who does he bump from the lineup? Certainly not any of the young kids like Higgins, Perezhogin or Hossa. I see no need for another forward until the young kids prove they can't do it. Which means next year. Why waste a draft pick and the time and money on these young kids if your never going to give them the chance to prove themselves.

No draft pick needed, the kids would rotate in and see who fits, Give him a one year deal and next year all the kids will be ready and have exp in NHL. You maybe crying in 3 months if the kids can't get it done. Depth is a good thing.

Right now its looking like Dags on the wing with ribs and ryder.... prolly Perezhoghin though in the future. I dont know why BG would resign Dags if they didnt have a role for him on the team.

If we were going to sign a vet, I'd rather it be Damphousse, I think he offers more versatility, that he can play a 3rd or fourth line checking role and can fill in on the top two if necessary.

He can also be played on teh wing and if there are injury problems he can be moved to his more natural center position. Although he's not the natural scorer that BOndra is...I think Bondra is done and Damphousse would fit in better.

Also, If theo is signed to an even remotely similar deal to that of Luongo it would have to be a one year deal right? I don't think theo would accept considering he is unrestricted next year. Maybe at 4.5 or something like that but even that isn't likely.

It's Perogy.

Why is there a thread about every player in the league signing with Montreal?

Our roster is full and so is our payroll. No thanks.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

It's Perogy.

I agree. Let Higgins, Perezhogin, Hossa, and possibly Kastitisyn play. Hainsey, Streit, and Komasarek will all be one year better as well on the d. A full year of Zednik, Koivu, and Kovalev will be fun to watch too.

I've got no problem with the Habs adding Bondra, although the odds of that are about zero. I always thought he did a great job on the point whil on the power play. I still don't think Gainey is going to stuff 5 or 6 rookies in there as people keep thinking. I'll be stunned if Plekanec, Higgins, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, (even Hossa though not technically a rookie), Hainsey, Komisarek (not a rookie but still learning the ropes), Streit, etc... While I want to play the kids as much as the next guy, we can't field them all, mistakes will come.

It's as if we're on the HF boards or something...

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

It's Perogy.

Exactly. Once Theodore and Ryder sing theres no cap room left, which means of the Habs wanna add somebody, they must trade someone.

And No I don't see Bonk playing 2nd line winger. Theres a reason Gainey traded for him and thats to play center. Dagenais may get playing time on the second wing, but I think by the end of training camp Perezhogin, if he's not playing in Russian will have beat out Dagenais for that spot.

I could also conceivable see Higgins and Hossa on a third line with Bonk. Hossa is not a rookie, and Higgins has really matured in Hamilton, and Bonk is a great veteran presence that would help the both of them.

No Bondra Needed.

Originally posted by huzer

I've got no problem with the Habs adding Bondra, although the odds of that are about zero. I always thought he did a great job on the point whil on the power play. I still don't think Gainey is going to stuff 5 or 6 rookies in there as people keep thinking. I'll be stunned if Plekanec, Higgins, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, (even Hossa though not technically a rookie), Hainsey, Komisarek (not a rookie but still learning the ropes), Streit, etc... While I want to play the kids as much as the next guy, we can't field them all, mistakes will come.  

It's as if we're on the HF boards or something...

You can strike Kostitsyn off that list, he needs another year playing in Hamilton on the top line. And Higgins will probably be sent back (just to start the season. He is the only player that can be sent to Hamilton without having to clear waivers.)

So 2 rookies (and Hossa) playing forward, and 2 young d men (and Streit.) That's a nice youth injection into the lineup. Some might say too much, but I like it.

Originally posted by johnnyhasbeen

Just wondering what you all would think if we were to pick up Bondra, as he is probably the best forward left out there, urfa. With Luongo signing, Theo should follow soon for same price range, leaving some extra head room in the budget. Team could use one more experiance forward, that can finish.  

:eyes:

haha, I wish Theodore would sign for the same price range as Luongo. The reason Luongo got what he got was because the Panthers took him to arbitration, Luongo wanted more money per year, the Panthers wanted a long-term deal.

Theodore will get somewhere between 5-6 million per season , thats my guess.

I know I've only been posting here for a short while, but some of you know me from Habfans. Anyways, those that know me know that I am a huge Bondra fan. Bondra and Simon have been my two most coveted players for many, many years now. I used to dream of a trade between the Habs and Caps that sent Bondra and Simon to the Habs.

Having said that, I still don't see a need for Bondra. Yes, the guy is a pure sniper and has one of the best and most accurate shots in the league. Yes, he would look absolutely amazing on the point on our first PP unit. And yes, even at his age he still has awesome speed. But you have to look at what it will cost us (monetarily and positionally). Even if we can grab him at a good discount rate, it's still digging into some of that precious money we may need come February or March when we're looking for a role player to round out our roster for the playoffs. And who's position will he take? Perezhogin's? Higgins? Hossa's? We can't afford to bring a guy like Bondra on for one or two years and have him take a spot away from our future. Maybe Bondra will out perform one of our rookies this season, but it's time for our rookies to become rookies and get that first NHL season under their belts. Maybe Hossa or Perez finally breaks out this season, but I can guarantee they won't even get the chance if we signed Bondra.

I love Bondra and if we didn't sign Kovalev, then I'd be all over the idea. But we don't have room for him.

Now if we're talking Chris Simon, then I'd move the world to find room for him. :/):/)

Originally posted by puck7x

haha, I wish Theodore would sign for the same price range as Luongo. The reason Luongo got what he got was because the Panthers took him to arbitration, Luongo wanted more money per year, the Panthers wanted a long-term deal.

Theodore will get somewhere between 5-6 million per season , thats my guess.

I really hope you're wrong. No way does Theo deserve that much. Compare what Theo has done before signing his last contract and since his last contract. What he did before signing his last contract was more impressive than since (and he's had a much better team in front of him since). Quite frankly, I see absolutely no reason to give him a raise. Age and tenure with a team do not qualify as good reasons for a raise, performance does.

I say offer a 4 year $18.5M contract (pays $4.5M, $4.5M, $4.5M, $5M). If he rejects that, then offer him a 1 year $5M contract and let him know that this is his best offer and that he should consider himself lucky not to be making $3.6M (or whatever Luongo is getting).

Not that I'm bitter about how Theo has handled this and his previous contract. I still hate him for sitting out and using it as leverage to get the bigger than he deserved contract he got last time.

i agree, carbo, until theo shows me some consistancy, there's no way he should be near khabi money (khabi doesn't deserve khabi money!) - i just hate to lock up so much money in a player that shows flashes of superstardom, i want a full-time superstar for top dollar.