Cap status

By-Tor

Below is my running total on the Habs salaries and hence overall cap picture for this year. Some of the salaries are estimates but I've been pretty close on the ones made public so it should be fairly accurate. Also, there are more than 23 bodies here so several will not figure in the final total after the roster is paried down to 23 to start the season. Comments?

Player Salary estimate

F.Bouillon $600,000

M. Komisarek 900,000

R.Hainsey 450,000

C.Rivet $2,660,000

A.Markov 1,500,000

S. Souray $2,128,000

M. Dandenault $1,700,00

M. Streit 500,000

J.Theodore 5,000,000

A. Kovalev $4,500,000

M.Ryder 1,000,000

N. Sundstrom $988,000

A.Perezhogan 860,000

S.Koivu 3,412,000

R.Bonk $2,394,000

S.Begin $608,000

T.Plekanec 530,000

R. Zednik $1,824,000

M.Ribiero 1,178,000

P.Dagenais 550,000

J.Bulis 1,000,000

C.Higgins 450,000

M.Hossa 800,000

C. Huet $456,000

P. Vandemeer 450,000

Total $28,738,000 6,000,000

Sorry - formatting did not hold up. Theo and Ryder are estimates.

Player Salary

F.Bouillon $600,000

M. Komisarek 900,000

R.Hainsey 450,000

C.Rivet $2,660,000

A.Markov 1,500,000

S. Souray $2,128,000

M. Dandenault $1,700,00

M. Streit 500,000

J.Theodore 5,000,000

A. Kovalev $4,500,000

M.Ryder 1,000,000

N. Sundstrom $988,000

A.Perezhogan 860,000

S.Koivu 3,412,000

R.Bonk $2,394,000

S.Begin $608,000

T.Plekanec 530,000

R. Zednik $1,824,000

M.Ribiero 1,178,000

P.Dagenais 550,000

J.Bulis 1,000,000

C.Higgins 450,000

M.Hossa 800,000

C. Huet $456,000

P. Vandemeer 450,000

Total $34,738,000

So can you tell me the difference between TSN undisclosed numbers and your estimates? There pretty much the same thing..... nothing is for certain.

How many of your player salaries are estimated? 4 or 5? If your out by say $100,000 to $200,000 per player you could be out by as much as $1,000,000.

From what I've seen TSN's numbers are very accurate, there just not in the business of speculating contracts.

Now having said that, your estimated numbers seem to be in the ballpark, but don't slag TSN saying there numbers arn't uselfull. Just because yours are estimated doesn't make them anymore so.

TSN has 4 undisclosed. They have actually updated several that were undiscosed a few days ago . With the advent of the Cap we are in the business of speculating about it in order to determine where our team is. TSN should stick and asterik by numbers and make an educated guess on the undisclosed ones. It can't be that hard - I did it fairly accurately.

TSN has some still undisclosed because its in the team policy not to release some if the players dont want. At least thats what i thought i heard somewhere.

Anyway, as you can see the Habs have a little wiggle room to pay Theodore 5 mill and lock him up long term and still have room under the cap. What do they do in light of the Luongo decision? Do you think he would settle for 5 mill?Do they stick with the qualifying offer of 4.6 and risk losing him next year? Or do they roll the dice and wait to see what kind of year he has? If he has a good year however he gets all the negotiating leverage????

Originally posted by Raider917

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/Montreal.html

4TH period have everyone but markov i think (was hossa signed?).  markovs 1.5 million this year should make it 26.1 million now.

Hossa was signed a while back, Aug 15th. Same day as Koivu, so maybe that's why you didn't remember it.

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/redirect...wsItemID=4304:)

Ryder and Theodore both have to be signed, which will bring the Habs up to around $36 Million dollars. Which the amount most teams are going to, for a number of reasons.

1. They want to have money available at the trade deadline to aquire players for the playoff run

2. If revenues are down this season, which everyone expects, then the cap number drops from $39,000,000 to something lower and it makes it easier to manage.

I think Montreal is trying to sign Theodore to a long term deal. I think they may have been waiting to see what Luongo got in arbitration to decide what they wanted to do. IF they were just going to sign him to a one year deal, I believe they would have done it weeks ago. But I'd say there looking at a 3 or 4 year deal worth $18 to $20 Million. BUt I could be wrong.

I's say the same wiht Ryder. Although I think hes asking for a bit more than he's worth right now. He'll probably get around a million per season

Just an aside (with a bit of a meandering quality).

Every once in a while, I'm blown away by these salaries.I know it's in great part a market driven thing but nevertheless to ask for 1 million dollars (for example) for a year is such a lot of money.

Also, when WE are discussing these salaries, salary caps, offers, arbitration decisions, etc we're throwing around figures that are, for us, just numbers on a page or keys typed on a keyboard. There seems to be little connection to our own reality.

For us to say "I wouldn't give him more than X million per year" or "Come on Bob, give him X million", etc. seems to be like armchair coaching or general managing. There's such a Peter Pan-ish kind of thinking here - living in a sort of Never-never-land. It's like we are 'making decisions' without having to worry about the consequences of these decisions.

I'm aware that it's all speculation on our part. I'm aware that it's simply a discussion of the realities going on 'out there'. I'm aware also that it's, in part, just a fun thing to do but... wow... to even be thinking of that much money for us to 'ask', to 'give', etc. is, if you really look at it, mind-blowing.

Now, on that note, I'd like to offer all of you 2.25 million per year for 5 years. If you want more than that, the highest I'll go is 3 million for one year. After that, you're on your own. If you have a good year then, maybe, you'll have some leverage (maybe not too). But, if you have a so-so or a bad year, you've effectively shot yourself in the foot. So, what'll you take? A little less for greater security or a little more for possibilities and probabilities?

Sign right here. :contract: