Theo's battle just got harder...

Carbo21

With Luongo on getting $3.2M from arbitration, Theo has to realize that he's not worth $5M+ a season. He better take Gainey's offer.

LUONGO LOSES OUT IN ARBITRATION.

TSN.CA/SPORTSNET.CA: both reported an arbiter has awared Florida Panthers netminder a one-year contract worth $3.2 million for the upcoming season. Luongo has the option to negotiate a new long-term deal with the Panthers after January first or he can take the team to arbitration next summer. He's eligible for UFA status in 2007.

3.2 million... How can a guy possibly make ends meet on that salary? :eyes: Gee, I don't know... I think I would rather stick it out for a live-able salary. :D

Originally posted by shortcat1

3.2 million... How can a guy possibly make ends meet on that salary? :eyes: Gee, I don't know... I think I would rather stick it out for a live-able salary. :D

No doubt, kind of makes you sick to think that these spoiled punks are arguing when they will still make more in a year than we'll make in a life time.

:-^ I send this out to all the players :-^

If the rumours are true about Luongo's last offer of $5M per season just before the arbitration, then Luongo's agent should be fired since he screwed his client over big time.

As per Theodore, if he goes to arbitration, then he'll be awarded more than Luongo. Theodore has playoff wins and playoff series wins to his credit, not to mention a Vezina; none of these items Luongo can claim and I'm sure that along with regular seasons stats, these facts are weighed heavily by an arbitrator. In my opinion, things like "potential" and International experiences don't count in determining an arbitrated salary.

Originally posted by habscout

If the rumours are true about Luongo's last offer of $5M per season just before the arbitration, then Luongo's agent should be fired since he screwed his client over big time.

As per Theodore, if he goes to arbitration, then he'll be awarded more than Luongo.  Theodore has playoff wins and playoff series wins to his credit, not to mention a Vezina; none of these items Luongo can claim and I'm sure that along with regular seasons stats, these facts are weighed heavily by an arbitrator. In my opinion, things like "potential" and International experiences don't count in determining an arbitrated salary.

It was Roberto who turned dows a 5 years 25 millions $ offer that had a starting base year salary of 3.8 millions this year. He was pissed because up until just before the arbitration earing, Keenan was lowballing him at 2 ou 2.5 millions. He was mad that Keenan let the situation go to arbitration.

Gilles Lupien (Luongo's agent) said yesterday, that when Keenan called to offer the 5/25 offer and he told him that Roberto didn't want it, Keenan hang up saying the F word to Lupien .... Luongo is done in Florida, we all know how Keenan reacts to this jind of situation.

We should just get him ... Let Theo takes the 5 / 25 offer, pay Luongo 3.2 this year, offer 5 to 6 millions a year next year (he will be restricted) and make sure me make him happy ... At least I hope Gainey is following the situation !

[Edited on 26-8-2005 by Theberge43]

As per Theodore, if he goes to arbitration, then he'll be awarded more than Luongo. Theodore has playoff wins and playoff series wins to his credit, not to mention a Vezina; none of these items Luongo can claim and I'm sure that along with regular seasons stats, these facts are weighed heavily by an arbitrator. In my opinion, things like "potential" and International experiences don't count in determining an arbitrated salary.

Luongo turned down the deal because he didn't want 5 years, not because of the money. He wanted 4M a season for 2 years and then to become a UFA.

In a way, the new contract is a compromise which leans a little closer to Keenan's side this the deal is only for 1 year.

You can't blame this on his agent.

As per Theodore, if he goes to arbitration, then he'll be awarded more than Luongo.  Theodore has playoff wins and playoff series wins to his credit, not to mention a Vezina; none of these items Luongo can claim and I'm sure that along with regular seasons stats, these facts are weighed heavily by an arbitrator. In my opinion, things like "potential" and International experiences don't count in determining an arbitrated salary.

It is too late for Theo to go to arbitraion, if he doesn't sign he will be a hold out until he does

One report from RDS has Theodore asking for $22.5M over 4 years [$5.625M per season]. Wow! I was hoping his demands would be somewhat lower. It's possible that the 2 sides will ultimately close in on a figure closer to $5M per season over 4 seasons.

Here is the RDS article, with a Google translation to English. The article was written by Yvon Pedneault, so take it with a grain of salt.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...ues/186709.html

:ghg:

He should receive approximately 4-4.5 million over a long term deal which would be fair market value. If he signs for 1 year it should be aroung 3.5 million. Also if he loves Montreal as much as he says he does than he should sign for that amount to allow for more money to be used for other players. If they win than he has enough grounds to ask for the bigger paycheque. !!

4.5M = Theo prefers to sign a one year deal and test free agency

5M = Theo probably prefers to sign a one year deal and test free agency

5.5M = What Theo is said to be asking

If Theo tests free agency next season, he is the most sought after UFA... just like Bulin this year. so we have to give him 6M or more to keep him... :puke:

So, let's say we lose him

1) Sign Nabokov to a 5.5M/yr 4 yrs contract?

2) Sign Turco to a 5.5M/yr 4 yrs contract?

3) Sign Luongo to a 7.8M 5yrs contract, losing 5 first rounders in the process (RFA compensation)

4) Trading for the likes of T-Bo who would then sign for 1.5M untill Price steps in

If we lose Theo to free agency and chose either of 1) 2) or 3), I'd be very pissed... if we lose him and chose 4) and then sign a very good guy for 4M (dunno, let's say a Aucoin or a Richards) I'd be happy, although sad to see Theo leaving us...

However, #4 is exactly what was intended when we traded Roy away... apparently it didn't work out...

:puke:

If Montreal does not sign him to long term deal they will lose him. There will be so many teams looking for a goalie next year that the price will be high. The Rangers, Leafs, Redwings, Tampa Bay, Ottawa, Phily, Colarado, St.Louis could all be looking for a goalie, if things don't work out. Cliff Fletcher always said, you build a team from the net out.

And another thing, Theodore is the teams most valuable Player... You take him out of the lineup and this team does not make the playoffs.

[Edited on 2005/8/30 by High&Inside]

Originally posted by High&Inside

If Montreal does not sign him to long term deal they will lose him.  There will be so many teams looking for a goalie next year that the price will be high. The Rangers, Leafs, Redwings, Tampa Bay, Ottawa, Phily, Colarado, St.Louis could all be looking for a goalie, if things don't work out.  Cliff Fletcher always said, you build a team from the net out.  

And another thing, Theodore is the teams most valuable Player... You take him out of the lineup and this team does not make the playoffs.

[Edited on 2005/8/30 by High&Inside]

I agree 100%. Theo must be signed. Gainey knows this. Theo is a habs and always has been. We need him under contract for at least a few more years until one of the youngsters is ready. I think Theo can lead us to greatness and goalies of his calibre are few and far between. Without a top notch goalie we are a mediocre team. Let's hope they get a deal done soon.:hlogo:

Theodore is the most overrated player? How do you figure?

In the past few years he's been Top 5 in the league for Games Played, Goals Against Average, Wins, Shutouts, Save Percentage & Minutes Played. In every major category he is in the top 5 and he's overrated? He's won the Heart Trophy and the Vezina and was a major reason they beat Boston in the playoffs 2 years ago!!!!

No, he is the teams most valuable player, no ifs ands or buts. Its the same story since they've handed out the stanley cup, the team with the best goaltending wins the stanley cup.....your goalie should be your best player.

Other than Brodeur theres no other goalie I'd rather have on my team, with possible exception of Luongo.

[Edited on 2005/8/30 by kaos]

Sign Theo to a 3 year 16.5 million dollar contract. Hopefully that will do it.

First year..........5.2 million

Second year.....5.5 million

Third year.........5.8 million

After looking at these numbers, I think that even these numbers are too high for him. Maybe scrap the whole idea...ha!

All this throwing around of salary numbers is going to be useless unless another issue gets addressed.

Theo is the most valuable player on the team. He's worth 4 mill a year roughly. Kovalev is the one who's overpaid - who knows what kind of attitude he'll bring to the rink this year.

Getting back to my original point though, the montreal media have proven time and time again that they have the ability to run a player out of town. They did it to Chelios, which sticks out most in my mind. They have got to stop taking photos of Jose with certain other individuals. Everyone knows this yet no one complains. Am I the only one willing to call them on this?

Originally posted by zumpano21

the montreal media have proven time and time again that they have the ability to run a player out of town. They did it to Chelios, which sticks out most in my mind. They have got to stop taking photos of Jose with certain other individuals. Everyone knows this yet no one complains. Am I the only one willing to call them on this?

"stop taking photos of Jose with certain other individuals" :?-:?-:?-

-- pray tell, most of us here don't live in Montreal.

Originally posted by alexstream

If we lose Theo to free agency and chose either of 1) 2) or 3), I'd be very pissed... if we lose him and chose 4) and then sign a very good guy for 4M (dunno, let's say a Aucoin or a Richards) I'd be happy, although sad to see Theo leaving us...

:puke:

Aucoin is already signed with the Blackhawks for 4 years at 4M a year....

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Wow

Theo is inconsistant as hell. One brilliant game followed by a disaster.

The last playoffs, was a clear example. We should have beat boston 4-1.

I hope Gainey does not sign him to a 4 year 5.5ish million dollar contract. His qualifying offer is too high in my opinion.

Many of you call him "our best player". Do you want an ego maniac as our "best player"?

IMO he is the most over rated, over hyped player in the league and he thinks his shit don't stink.

I am sure I will get bashed for all this but I say:

Trade him now...hey, hey, hey, gooodbyyye!