The Coronavirus Thread

dlbalr

As sporting events are beginning to be postponed or have fans barred (such as Montreal's game in San Jose), the Coronavirus is starting to really hit home in North America.  The NCAA will play March Madness without fans and that may be the tipping point for other leagues.  I wouldn't be shocked to see some league postponements coming over the next few days.

On a more important note, here's hoping you and your family members stay healthy and safe through all of this.

For anyone wanting to discuss the virus (sports related or just general), let's use this thread for it.

36 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

A two-month banning on gatherings of more than 50 people in the US would basically put an end to the regular season at an absolute minimum:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html

They might finish up the regular season, then hold a tournament style playoffs for the Cup.

I've got two friends being tested that I was in contact with multiple times in the 14 days leading up to their symptoms, but nothing official yet. The whole process seems so disorganized. Neither was scheduled for testing the same day as they reported symptoms, then it's 4-7 days on results. That kind of slow turnaround just seems crazy!

How is your province or state doing in regards to social distancing, closing businesses, etc ?

Here in Québec, I must admit that they're very proactive and tight.

My friend and his girlfriend who were being tested both came back positive. His mother has just recently passed away and last Monday my mom and I took them dinner, along with an aunt and uncle of his. Both of them have also tested positive. So far my mom and I are both doing fine, so hopefully we managed to avoid it. There's the well-publicized 14 day window, but my doctor said that in the vast majority of cases, symptoms present within 3-5 days, so we are most likely in the clear at this point. 

Ohio was one of the states taking the lead in terms of shutting things down. First thing to go were schools after the 13th. Restaurants and bars were next to go a few days later, but they're staying open for carryout and delivery. Gyms, theaters, etc. where shut down a day later, I think. We were already obviously being told to stay home as possible, but an official stay-at-home order went into effect last night. Jackets were among the first to make plans for fan-less games, though the NHL shutdown negated that the next day. That was kind of hard to take, because my friend's mom had gotten us tickets to that game.

Lots of businesses obviously having as many people as possible work from home, myself included. I now really regret how long I've procrastinated replacing my 30-year-old office chair. I did a pre-paid prescription pickup over the weekend that involved no touching of the same surfaces and have had a couple meals delivered via door-side delivery to support local business, but that has been the extent of my in-person human interaction for the last week. I'm an introvert and a bit on the anti-social side, but I am still really missing the day-to-day interaction of work, church, game night, etc. Calling my parents a couple times a day to make sure they're still doing ok.

• Upvote 1

What sucks here in Quebec is that the March Break was  March 2nd to March 6th.

It was generally 16th to 20th for other provinces.

Lot of people from Quebec were travelling out of Canada.  :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2020 at 1:12 AM, Trizzak said:

About to go quarantining in an internetless house for a fortnight. I expect I'll either find enlightenment or truly understand Jack Torrance... there is no in between.

Did you survive?

5 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Did you survive?

Fanpuck, darling, light of my life. I'm not going to hurt you. You didn't let me finish my sentence. I said I'm not going to hurt ya, I'm just gonna bash your brains in...

Have you been listening to the Scrubs podcast with Zach Braff and Donald Faison?

18 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Fanpuck, darling, light of my life. I'm not going to hurt you. You didn't let me finish my sentence. I said I'm not going to hurt ya, I'm just gonna bash your brains in...

Have you been listening to the Scrubs podcast with Zach Braff and Donald Faison?

I actually just saw The Shining for the first time within the last year, mainly to see how good the sequence in Ready Player One was. Yet another player from HWL revealed to be a reference to a movie I hadn't yet seen (a la Mike Wazowski and James P. Sullivan).

I was unaware that this was a thing, but I will have to check it out and add it to my work-day playlist! 

4 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I actually just saw The Shining for the first time within the last year, mainly to see how good the sequence in Ready Player One was. Yet another player from HWL revealed to be a reference to a movie I hadn't yet seen (a la Mike Wazowski and James P. Sullivan).

I was unaware that this was a thing, but I will have to check it out and add it to my work-day playlist! 

Fake Doctors, Real Friends.

It's a great listen.

4 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Well that explains his low PEN rating... (21).

On 5/1/2020 at 8:46 PM, dlbalr said:

Well that explains his low PEN rating... (21).

Is it crazy that I remember him being an enforcer, considering I didn't even understand the reference?

On 5/1/2020 at 8:30 PM, Trizzak said:

Fake Doctors, Real Friends.

It's a great listen.

The next episode is sure to have a sad note. Sam Lloyd, who played Ted, died from brain cancer yesterday.

20 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Is it crazy that I remember him being an enforcer, considering I didn't even understand the reference?

I remembered that about as well oddly enough.  I was trying to acquire him at one point as he was a classic overdevelopment project that I liked to take on and the low PEN rating would keep his OA low to get him signed cheap which would give me a good chance to develop and flip him for better value as I did with a lot of players over the years.

20 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I remembered that about as well oddly enough.  I was trying to acquire him at one point as he was a classic overdevelopment project that I liked to take on and the low PEN rating would keep his OA low to get him signed cheap which would give me a good chance to develop and flip him for better value as I did with a lot of players over the years.

Shocker !!! :D

Brian, 

Goalie has to be Tretiak for Habs Team Russia 😉

• 1 month later...