pick a devil

MAK

the new jerzey devils are allready over the cap at 43M.

in order to reach the cap, they'll have to trade players.

witch one would you see as a canadiens ??

please, try to be realistic..brodeur will never be traded to mtl.

my choice would be matvitchuk. he'd be a so-needed physical presence

Originally posted by marky_and_komi

please, try to be realistic..brodeur will never be traded to mtl.

Uhhhh...... MARTIN BRODEUR!!!! Ya.... him.... :lol::monkey::lol:

Seriously, Martin is part of the name... Paul Martin (or Colin White)

We're OK with our forwards. We're loaded with prospects and need to make room for them.

I'd pick a tough physical d-man, that's what we need. Colin White has become solid over the years, learning from Stevens how to better pick his spots. And he should be somewhat easy to acquire compared to the bigger names.

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

I know we have lots of forwards but you would have to make room for a guy like Madden.  A scoring checker who is a scrapper for the puck in any situation.  This guy is good....

Yeah he's a good guy to have. But that's also why the Devils probably wouldnt part with him.

Which player(s) would Devil's GM most likely decide to let go in order to comply to the cap's limits ?

I dont see how this topic is of any interest without gessing about Lamoriello's mind and his team's need.

I wouldnt dare gessing at that myself excep that the Devils will surely decide to part with one of their two enforcer acquired during the off season last year.

Langdon worth around 450,000 or Olliwa, which command a little less than twice as that.

Besides the Malakhov mention, all the other guys mentioned would not help the devils cap situation at all.

Trading a langdon, drops the payroll by half a mil...woopdidoo

Elias' salary won't count against the cap right away (if at all) since he's on injured reserve (hepatitis C). So the devils are down to 39m, but Lou has said he'd make room for Stevens.

Depending on who's good in camp I would, if Elias comes back, I'd say one of Madden or Freisen is gone

I'd say one of brylin and langenbrunner is gone

and i'd say one of the goons is gone.

If Elias doesn't return, then madden and friesen stays (unless its a good trade, but it won't be salary dump).

I'd go after Langenbrunner, nice big body, has the ability to score big goals, playoff/stanley cup experienced...

I'd love to get Matvichuk, I wanted Gainey to sign him last summer, but it didn't happen. But I doubt NJ would trade any d, even if Stevens comes back.

I'm taking this game of Pick A Devil and making it just a bit more serious.

Info brought to you by TSN:

Martin Brodeur - $5,237,238

Brian Rafalski - $4.2 million

Patrik Elias - $4.18 million

John Madden - $3,861,561

Vladimir Malakhov - $3.6 million

Alexander Mogilny - $3.5 million

Jeff Friesen - $2.28 million

Scott Gomez - $2.2 million

Dan McGillis - $2.2 million

Viktor Kozlov - $1.746 million

Colin White - $1.71 million

Jamie Langenbrunner - $1,655,130

Sergei Brylin - $1.52 million

Richard Matvichuk - $1.368 million

These are the top money makers for New Jersey.

Their cap is currently $43,748,929.

Obviously a trade like Bonk for Friesan doesn't work because the salaries are too close. So what's a fair trade for both teams, but lowers the Devils overall salary?

You don't have to knock them all the way down to below the cap, and certainly don't knock us over ours.

I don't want anybody off that roster listed, with the exception of John Madden. There all overpaid, including John Madden. Brodeur, Rafalski and Elias are apparently untouchable.

Matvihcuk is too slow, and has too many prior knee problems to take the chance on.

For Madden I'd maybe give a conditional draft pick, but then you have the probably of dealing abour $3 million dollars worth of salary off of the Montreal Roster....is it really worth it?

THe only person I'd want off their roster is one of their younger prospects like Paul Martin or David Hale, but since there not eating up the space like the others, they won't be traded.

I dont see Gainey going after Langenbrunner or Matvichuk, seeing how he traded them away when he was the GM in Dallas. Langenbrunner is even more injury prone than Koivu and Matvichuk is barely an upgrade on Rivet.

Madden's making mad salary. I dont see how we could have both him and Bonk making around the same salary to do the same job. Somewhat pointless.

I can't believe some mentionned Malakhov. You guys are kidding, right? I thought we were done with overpaid heartless defensemen when Brisebois left.

Friesen would be a nice LW to have on the 2nd line with Ribs and Ryder.

But again, acquiring a forward when you've got so many in the pipeline is completely pointless. Unless you're one veteran away from having a Stanley Cup contender and its not the Habs' case right now.

GIVE THE KIDS A CHANCE!

Gainey didn't trade Matvichuk away...Matvichuk left as UFA last summer.

And just because a GM trades a player, it doesn' t mean, necessarily, that the GM dislikes the player, just that he was part of a trade for another player that the GM thought would help better.

But i doubt Gainey is going to trade with Jersey, anyways.

He meant Langenbrunner and Friesen not Langenbrunner and Matvichuk. That was the trade. For Arnott and someone else.

I would LOVE to have Langenbrunner or Madden. Friesen to a lesser extent. The thing is they're all expensive (except Langenbrunner is 1.7M if I remember correctly) and the Habs don't have much room left.

The only possibility is a player under 2 million and we would have to send over a player of at least 1 million dollars worth which wouldn't help NJ much. The Devils need to dump 4-5M dollars and little trades won't help. They need to dump a 3-4M dollar guy for a draft pick and then look for a smaller move. They'll be in a bad position for the rest of the season at about $38M.

I like Langenbrunner too, but the trade they made to get him was to help NJ win a cup. They traded Arnott which hurt them but I cannot see them giving up on Langenbrunner just yet. Just like the guy I would want, Madden which is not happening any time soon. If nothing else happens I am content with this roster. I expect speed to be a key to our team.

He meant Langenbrunner and Friesen not Langenbrunner and Matvichuk. That was the trade. For Arnott and someone else

It was langenbrunner and Niewendyke (spelling?) for arnott, mckay

Freisen came from anaheim for tvedovsky (among others)

UWEY could take confort in Vandermeer as his skating and skill level seems pretty good but unlike Marshall which cannot be called an enforcer....Vandermeer definitly can...as his 300 hundred penaltys minutes can tell......over Marshall's 67.

Originally posted by GoHabs2002

He meant Langenbrunner and Friesen not Langenbrunner and Matvichuk. That was the trade. For Arnott and someone else

It was langenbrunner and Niewendyke (spelling?) for arnott, mckay

Freisen came from anaheim for tvedovsky (among others)

06-Jul-02 New Jersey Devils traded Petr Sykora, Igor Pohanka, Mike Commodore and Jean-Francois Damphousse to the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim for Jeff Friesen, Oleg Tverdovsky and Maxim Balmochnykh.

Have you ever seen Marshall fight???

I would guess not???

I would think 300 pim would have a lot of stupid penalties involved. A good enforcer, doesn't spend all his time in the penaltybox!!!

[Edited on 2005/9/1 by Uwey]