ex-hab retires

les_glorieux

Damphousse to announce retirement

TSN.ca Staff

9/6/2005 10:01:33 PM

After 18 NHL seasons, Vincent Damphousse is ready to call it a career.

The veteran forward has called a news conference for Wednesday morning at which time he will announce his retirement from the game.

In 1,378 NHL games with Toronto, Edmonton, Montreal and San Jose, where he spent the last five seasons, Damphousse has 432 goals, 773, 1,190 penalty minutes and a plus-minus rating of plus-15. His 1,205 career points put him 38th on the all-time list.

The four-time all-star won a Stanley Cup with Montreal in 1993.

Damphousse signed a one-year contract with the Colorado Avalanche in 2004, but did;t play one game game with the club because of the NHL lockout.

Damphousse scored 12 goals and assisted on 29 with San Jose in 2003-04. He led the Sharks in playoff scoring with seven goals and seven assists in 17 games, leading the club he captained all the way to the Western Conference final.

Damphousse, 37, was an unrestricted free agent.

Damphousse didnt receive any offer from any team for this season. I wonder if he got "blacklisted" because he was one of the top NHLPA guys, and if it pushed him toward retirement earlier than he expected.

Anyway, the trade Serge Savard made with Edmonton was one his best. Damphousse-Muller-Bellows was one heck of a line.

I dont even remember what we got when we traded Damphousse away...

Originally posted by ap79

Damphousse didnt receive any offer from any team for this season. I wonder if he got "blacklisted" because he was one of the top NHLPA guys, and if it pushed him toward retirement earlier than he expected.

Anyway, the trade Serge Savard made with Edmonton was one his best. Damphousse-Muller-Bellows was one heck of a line.

I dont even remember what we got when we traded Damphousse away...

Traded to San Jose by Montreal for Phoenix's 5th round pick (previously acquired-Montreal selected Marc-Andre Thinel) in 1999 Entry Draft and San Jose's 2nd round pick in 2000 Entry Draft

This is one guy who was a positive presence in the game.

I hope his 'retirement' will be fruitful. It's hard to imagine retiring at his age but, as before, I hope that he will be ok - that is that he was wise in his investments so as to guarantee a steady income for many years.

I hope also that he has some constructive plans for the coming years. He has, as a rule, many productive years left. He could continue to be a good presence in the sport if he chooses or he could do some great stuff in other directions.

God bless you, Vincent. :clap: