Best Team in over 10 years?

Malhotra

Do you guys think this is the best habs team since 92/93? Even on paper, we may be better than we were then, but clearly that was a cup winning group so we will give them the benifit of the doubt.

So basically have we had a better arragnment of players in that last decade?

i dont know if its the best team in the last 10 years...but i feel we need to make 1 last signing. not a crazy star expensive guy..but a player who can put the puck in the net at a reasonable price. then we are real playoff contenders.

Originally posted by hankhab

I think this team is almost as good as the cup winners from 93...goaltending is weaker, but defence and offence better. But definatly the best team since then.

I agree, not quite as good, but still a good team.

Damphousse

Carbonneau

Desjardins

Keane

LeClair

Muller

Odelein

Schneider

Roy

alone destroy the current Habs roster. No way is our team better than the Stanley Cup Winners. Remember: all tghese guys are in their prime.

But yeah, this is the best team since 93-94.

Originally posted by habsfan88i feel we need to make 1 last signing...a player who can put the puck in the net at a reasonable price.

Yeah, a finisher. Would be great if we found out we already have that player in Dagenais, we'll see soon enough.

On paper, the team they had for the first few months of the 95/96 season was pretty damn good.

Roy, Malakhov, Odelein, Turgeon, Damphousse, Recchi, Keane, Koivu, Bure, Brashear, SAvage, Stevenson, Brunet, Petrov...

Ugh, too bad we couldn't keep that team together.

Nice going Houle.

The best team since 95 certainly. I think our weakness is on defense. We lack a bonafide defensive "closer" so to speak; a true defensive D man who you can put out in crucial situations when you need to protect a lead or box out big strong forwards like Thornton,Murray,Lecavalier,Sundin etc. Plus we need some more size + grit on the 4th line as well IMO. What happens if Begin gets injured for example?!

They may have some grit but can they lay on the muscle when you need to send a message or even up some robust hitting from a team like Philly or toronto? Thats where players like Langdon are also important; not just for fighting. I guess Vandemeer can play a role like that presumably. I do worry how we'll handle teams like Bos,Phil,tor,etc. when they start their intimidation crap. We can't afford to have Rivet + Souray (remeber his bad wrist!) in the box continually for example. A guy like Travis Green would've been valuable imo.

I think that yes we have money to play with to sign a guy that could consistantly put the puck in the net and we need a huge year from theo and we got ourselves a stanley cup contender team somewhat like the 93 cup champs... i mean there werent many big names in that team then if there was sry cant remember lol

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

Damphousse

Carbonneau

Desjardins

Keane

LeClair

Muller

Odelein

Schneider

Roy

alone destroy the current Habs roster. No way is our team better than the Stanley Cup Winners. Remember: all tghese guys are in their prime.

But yeah, this is the best team since 93-94.

You can't beat Roy, and the defence was very solid, but I think a top line of Zed-Koivu-Kovalev matches up pretty well against Bellows-Muller-Damphousse.

I prefer our depth now. We may lack top-to-bottom proven players, but there's enough high-upside rookies in the system to plug the best performing ones in and get better players than some of the duffers we had back then. The 1993 team also included, at some point, all of the following:

Jesse Belanger, Gilbert Dionne, Paul DiPietro, Donald Dufresne, Todd Ewen, Kevin Haller, Gary Leeman, Andre Racicot, Rob Ramage, Mario Roberge, and Ed Ronan.

Hardly world-beaters...

Bellows-Muller-Damphousse were grossly underrated, and would probably outplay Zed-Koivu-Kovy over a seven-game series. People forget just how devastating Muller was in his prime---he could lay you out with a crushing bodycheck, even as he potted the GWG. I've always said he would have been a valid choice for Conne Smythe in '93 (although Roy obviously derserved the trophy). And the current team has nobody that holds a candle to the mighty Carbonneau as a voice of experience and defensive prowess.

Schneider and Desjardins on D vastly outstrip anything we presently have. But you may be right about the current team's depth being better...we'll see.

Our big missing piece is a major defenceman. Only if Souray really steps up will we be a serious threat to get past the second round, but I do think we should be able to get to the 2nd round.

Originally posted by Roo-AH! Roo-AH!

Our big missing piece is a major defenceman. Only if Souray really steps up will we be a serious threat to get past the second round, but I do think we should be able to get to the 2nd round.

I'm hoping Markov will step up too.

As for getting past the 2nd round...any team that makes the playoffs can make a run to the finals (though winning the Cup is obviously harder). Calgary was the #6 seed last year, Anaheim was #7 the year before, and while Carolina was #3 by virtue of winning the division, they were actually only the 7th best team in the conference by record.

Once you get to the play-offs anything van happen. It's a short series. The Habs were a worse team than Boston in 02 and 04 and we beat them both times. We got dominated in the second round both times as well.

We just don't have what it takes to get to a Stanley Cup final right now. Yes a defenceman would be nice. If we got one it would be Rivet who goes it has to be him because the salary of the new-comer would probably be high and Rivet is taking up a lot of space. One more forward would also really help. A big guy who can score.

We're overrating our current team. When we look at a team like Buffalo we see nothing but maybe the fans in their city say things like this. "We're gonna kill this year! This guy is so underrated. This guys is coming off a 100-point season in the AHL. These two work great together!" The same things we say to compliment our teams yet don't notice in other teams. If you look at the Habs from a neutral perspective you'll see the horrible truth. We'll lucky to get 7th seed.