Pre-Season Game Thread | Atlanta vs. Montreal | 9/18/05

Spider-Man NL

Originally posted by ap79

I'm thinking coaches & players haven't adapted their defensive strategies to the new rules yet.

this is certainly true, but how efficient can the adaption be? Are we saying in 2 months scores will regress to baseline or can we count on 10-20% more goals.

One interesting thing was that the SOG didnt seem to be up that much. I take this to mean that there was more quality offense, not just a shot fest.

It is like asking someone in 1925 to draw what they thought a 1965 airplane would look like. You'd end up with some monstrosity with 12 propellors.

If I dare to dream, this might be an indication we are getting a jet.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by simonus

I'm thinking coaches & players haven't adapted their defensive strategies to the new rules yet.

this is certainly true, but how efficient can the adaption be? Are we saying in 2 months scores will regress to baseline or can we count on 10-20% more goals.

One interesting thing was that the SOG didnt seem to be up that much. I take this to mean that there was more quality offense, not just a shot fest.

It is like asking someone in 1925 to draw what they thought a 1965 airplane would look like. You'd end up with some monstrosity with 12 propellors.

If I dare to dream, this might be an indication we are getting a jet.

I'm thinking --if the penalty calls hold up-- that it will be impossible to revert back to the type of defensive efficiency we had in recent years.

If the crackdown on holding/hooking and obstruction in general is maintained, only players who are fast & smart (mobility + anticipation) or fast (mobility + legal bodychecks) physical will be able to be trully efficient defensively. That eliminates a whole lot of grinders out of the coaches' defensive arsenal.

And like any sports, 80% of the acts the athlete does are conditionned actions that became instinctual reflexes. They'll have to un-learned and re-learned many things. That'll take time.

[Edited on 18-9-2005 by ap79]

I too hope that the "new" rules on obstruction are enforced and it opens the game the way it should be.

About CJAD, I caught part of the Als game this morning( the 10:pm EDT start began at 6am here in the UAE and was just ending when I left for class at 8:50) and they were advertising an hour long pregame show before the start of tonight's(tomorrow morning's for me) game.

Their colour man will be Murrary Wilson the same as last year.

I'm really looking forward to the start of the season and I hope to get some of this game if i can get up early enough.

For those of you who are in a different time zone it is(was) sometimes possible to get a taped game from NHL.com but they sometimes remove the links too quickly

Lines for the game will be:

Dagenais - Ribeiro - Perezhogin

Bulis - Bonk - Hossa

Higgins - Chipchura - Ferland

Ivanans - Begin - Vandermeer

Bouillon - Komisarek

Streit - Hainsey

Archer - Benoit

Danis

Price

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/188091.html

Wow.alot of players not playing. But Ribs can be a first line centre:D Im also happy to see striet playing.

I received an email from Rick Moffat earlier this week (he replied within two days, how great is that?).

He said they will have live play by play of all the pre-season and regular season (and let's hope playoffs) games.

Cheers to Moffat and the gang at CJAD, they do a great job.

Good luck to all those playing tonight...but always a little bit more for La Sainte-Flanelle!

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon

CJAD pregame show is on now.

For us who like to listen in French, CHRC pregame is on too.

http://www.chrc.com/

Click on the image of the radio at the bottom left. In the next window, click 'cliquez ici pour l'écoute' and Windows Media Player will open the link.

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

Originally posted by shortcat1
Originally posted by JeanLucPilon

CJAD pregame show is on now.

For us who like to listen in French, CHRC pregame is on too.

http://www.chrc.com/

Click on the image of the radio at the bottom left. In the next window, click 'cliquez ici pour l'écoute' and Windows Media Player will open the link.

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

another en francais option is CKAC.com

I don't miss Sisto, to be honest. He came across awfully smug, often rubbed me the wrong way. That said, this Moffat does not sound like a natural play-by-play announcer, so I might take shortcut's suggestion and switch to French, anyway, I'll give Moffat a chance to loosen up a little.