habs need ace defenseman

Malhotra

though souray is considered elite by most habs fans, hes really not. I call the habs a contender if they add a solid d-man. I'm not talking about Dandenault (which i loved) but im talking like a neidermeyer. Granted that price is too high, but even a guy like foote. Though he was overpaid, he makes a difference. I would love if the Habs could go grab one of Ottawa's top two, because I hear they still may need to trade one.

I know Jersey has to get rid of people, and with Malakhov, Mgillis, Rafalski and Matvicuk all on the blue line, I see one of em being moved. They could help out.

Who would you guys go for? Something Plausible.

I disagree. Souray is at least as good as Foote(slow and injury prone) and Malakov who, though injury prone, has (still) the potential to dominate a game, but all too often has his head up his ass. If we were to get a NJ defenseman, I would prefer Colin White because he would bring the physical intimidation factor that, except for Souray, we lack

Originally posted by PMAC

If we were to get a NJ defenseman, I would prefer Colin White because he would bring the physical intimidation factor that, except for Souray, we lack

Komisarek is also there (if he can continue his game from last years playoffs).

Anyways, I also think that we might lack a real Nr.1 d-man but heck, did the Bolts or Flames had such a guy last season? No. So maybe the HABS also don't need an overpayed player like Niedermayer (even if he's one of the best).

As for the Sens guys - I don't think that we can pull another Bonk trade. We won't see a Redden or Chara soon with the HABS, the Sens simply won't do it (again). ;)

The Habs do need a defenceman but the only way to getone now is by trading. First we need to try out Bouillon, Hainsey, Streit, Dandenault and Komisarek. Pretty much our entire defence corps is new.

When you get to the playoffs anything can happen. A 7-game series is very different than a season. Carolina, Anaheim, Calgary and even Minnesota proved this in recent years.

Once youre in the playoffs, everyones a contender.

I really like what we are trying, both philosophocally and practically.

Let's see what our new guys can do. There is always time to adjust through the year if need be.

They are pushing our vets to be better. Always a good thing.

I think the Habs have needed one for years to be honest. Markov showed flashes a few years back..Souray had the big year last NHL season. But neither have been consistent #1 defensemen.

The Devils really dont have anyone we need available. I'd say a guy like Ninimaa, doubt he's available in NYI mind you. I've heard some rumours outta Philly regarding Desjardins..somewhat plausible he could be moved for capspace if Pitkanen steps up. But Desjardins' best years are really behind him.

I Agree Ottawa has what were lacking but to fool them like we did to get Bonk (not that it was OOOO so amazing but still) ... doubt they will make that mistake again.. They dont intend in giving up a player to a team from their own division!

I wasn't talking about a trade, there's no way Ottawa would trade Redden to the Habs.

I was talking about next year if he becomes a UFA at the end of the season.

I don't think Ottawa as the $$$ to sign Chara and Redden. They also have Havlat who will be more expensive next year.

Not that I think we will get him, I was just mentionning that he's the guy I would like to get.

Great player and leader. Good skating skills, good offensive and defensive sens and plays physical. He's also young (28). As everything to be a great D in the new more open NHL for the next 5-6 years.

The defenseman I want most is Aucoin. He's a guy we really need. I also would have liked Hamrlik (damn the Flames!), Scott Hannan or Mike Rathje.

This should be a big year for Markov and if Souray stays healthy, that's great news. Streit brings offence to the unit with a style similar to Dick Tarnstrom.

Rivet doesn't bring anything we don't already have (in great quantities) to the table and is a prime candidate to be traded if we have any hope of acquiring a good defenceman. Or we can wait til his contract run out, then cut his salary in half and keep him for a couple more years. I'm not a big fan of the assistant captain.

Dandenault is a nice pick-up who can (but won't) play forward. He's the fastest player on the team and has won Stanley Cups in Detroit. Nice bit of experience, there.

Komisarek might someday become Captain after Saku Koivu. A good tough, big player who cna punish people in the boards.

Hainsey is in a make or break situation. He looks to break. I see him as our #8 defenceman, at the moment. I rate Francis Bouillon ahead of him.

Jonathan Aitken, Jeff Paul and the others are just for depth. The truth is they pretty much have no chance of playing in the NHL.

Our overall defence is average. One big name will make it great. Look at Colorado. Their only big name on D is an aging Rob Blake and the rest are average or worse. They still have little reason to believe they won't make the play-offs this year, even with a so-so goalie between the pipes.

All the Habs REALLY need is to wait a couple of years when the young guns improve. Then we'll be actual contenders.

It's evident that Norris calibre defencemen are a must to win the cup. The most prominent names in the last 5 years that have been effective are Zubov, Sydor, Bourque, Blake, Lidstrom, Niedermayer.

It's been mentioned in articles by sports wrieters that the exception was Tampa Bay with Boyle, Sydor, Kubina & Pratt. They point out that Tampa didn't have a calibre defenceman so it's not always necessary to have one.

I disagree. Let's face it. Sydor has 2 rings. He deserves mention with the other names.

In a nutshell, the last 6 years featured Norris winners or runner ups winning the cup.

Anybody see Norris potential on the Habs?

I don't. But there is always good luck and fortune-somewhere. Hopefully in Montreal. My number 1 sleeper candidate on defence for the Habs is Markov. Anybody check out the World Championship?

It could take time to have Montreal gel and come together. 2008 is when we will be happy

I hit post reply by mistake. I wasn't finished (sorry)

Continued>I'm not saying we don't have a chance to win this year or the next. If we have a birth by the deadline locked up, certain non-contending teams will address cap issues for 2007. Maybe there will be a marquee defenceman available. Anything is possible. Trust in GAINey23.

IMO, the Kovalev signing could be just what the doctor ordered!!! A strong Russian influecent could very well bring the skill that André Markov possess' to the forefront. If that is indeed the case, Markov could become that very elite D-man the this team needs!!!

I don't consider Souray a #1 defenceman. No Norris Trophy for him. But he is a good defenceman and if it hadn't been for his sudden improvement the Habs probably would not have made the playoffs last season. Despite his injuries.

Honestly, this whole thread is a little disconcerting to me. Not that I don't respect others opinions, which I do completely, however I find it almost discouraging that people don't see what they have under their noses.

First of all, Souray. I have my doubts that he'll ever be a number one defender. He just doesn't have what it takes in a one-on-one situation as far as I've seen thus far. While he has good anticipation and stick-work, it's still not what I call number one quality. He brings an excellent physical presence to the table, gets the job done down low (though will see how the new rules affect his game) and can put up some decent numbers now and again - though he seems to be streaky. There was talk of Norris last season for him, and while it was warranted talk, that's all that was ever going to come from it, I believe: talk.

On the other hand, and what I find most frustrating, is the lack of respect given to Markov's game. Here's a player who excels one-on-one and is probably one of the top-three guys in that situation league-wide. He has phenominal anticipation and stick-weilding skills, easily better than anyone on the Habs by a long shot. How often does he, instead of retreating like the run of the mill guy, stop and cut out a pass? And when he's in the corner in a scrum, there always seem to be complaints that he doesn't have enough of a physical presense. And yet, if you watch how he uses his stick, you see he has an incredibly uncanny ability to pull out the puck and take control of the play.

Markov needs one thing: confidence. He has all the skills to be a Norris defender, he just needs to be given that position by the team and allowed to grow into it.

Now, I'm sure there are going to be posters coming on here saying how he's beaten and he's this and that, but in reality, if you watch every game from the Norris trophy winners from the past? They all make the same mistakes, you just don't see those in highlight packages. I've seen Niedermeyer get whiffed through the legs by an onrushing attacker so many times it makes me laugh. He's an excellent defender, of course, but that much better than Markov? No way. More confident? Absolutely.

As for Komisarek being a number one in the future, I suppose it's possible. But he still needs a lot of work. He's what I would call the Scott Stevens of the Habs future. Not really a number one guy, but a number two who will do all the nitty gritty that's so needed.

Honestly, and sadly, I think Hainsey has more potential to be a number one than does Komi. Sad, of course, because he doesn't seem able to commit. Anyone remember Bryan Fogarty? He was supposed to be a Norris winner once he hit the big time, problem was he never really hit the big time because it all went to his head and he folded like a cheap tent under the haze of booze.

I don't think we need to look elsewhere at all. Aucoin? Sure, he would have been wonderful and people would have been cheering in the streets. However he would have taken precious time from our young and improving corps that needs playing time and confidence. This is not a "this year" team. No matter how much management would like us to believe that's their target. This is a next three years team, no doubt about it. All our kids are just stepping up, and they'll need maturing time. Then we'll be a force.

Here's another quick example of how things change in this sport, and I'll try and draw the parallel with Markov. There was a time in the '90's when some kid named Steve Yzerman was in the headlines because everyone said he was a bad leader and that the Wings were never going to win a Cup with him as captain. Boy oh boy did he ever prove them wrong. A little more time to develop into his role and he's now called one of the best leaders ever to play the game. Yet, early on, Wings fans wanted him gone or at least demoted.

Like Markov.

Today, we look at him and there are plenty out there who believe he'll never be a number one (heck some say never a number three) and lots out there are ready to give up on him and trade for someone else. Yet I believe, if we give him the patience and time in the position that I think he needs, we have our Norris candidate right under our noses. Wouldn't it be most gratifying if, in three years, he won the Norris the same year he wins the Cup? Would everyone look back then and say, "I knew it..."

Now, of course, this is just a series of observations by me, and with no influence from anyone else, so you can take it or leave it as you will. ;)

Colin

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

Don't get me wrong, I love Sheldon, but I still don't trust him 100%.

Same here.

Problem with Souray is he came outta nowhere to become an offensive force.

Look at his stats prior to his wrist injury. He was a top 4 defenseman but no one could have ever predicted he'd be the offensive backbone of the Habs blueline.

To sum up how big of an improvement Souray showed last season, he scored a total of 13 total goals from 1997 till 2002. 03/04 he scored 15.

If the NHL had a Most Improved Player award like the NBA does, Souray would have easily won it in 04.

I don't think he's a number 1 Dman in this league, however look at Tampa, Calgary, San Jose, and Philly. In 04, none of them had a superstar workhorse defenseman and they were in the leagues final 4. I'd rather have a solid group of 6, just like the 93 team.

Who is considered a top defenceman now that there are new rules? Hatcher, Stevens(retired), Foot are all slow. I consider Blake in Colorado to be the big horse in the NHL stable. Hits hard, skates fast, shoots well, can pass tape to tape. You have to ask yourself how many guys like him in the NHL.

If you have a bunch of skilled defenseman this should mask the fact that you do not have the top denceman in the league. Montreal is fine with Markov and Surray as offensive weapons. Every team in the league would trade for these guys so relax and enjoy the guys we have because it could be worse. Could be Washington or Toronto!:hockey:

I have to agree w those who feelwe need a better defense. But not necessarily a no.1 guy imo. We still need a 'closer'; a solid, strong, dependable Defensive D man who you put out in important situations and Know you can count on them to shut down anyone down low and in the corners. I always thought Rivet could be that guy but he just hasn't lived up to that role in a very consistent manner. I'm afraid I've lost my faith in Rivet to fill that role right now but i still believe/hope that Souray can achieve this. So yes we can wait and see how the team developes but we'd be wise to find a D man who can fit this role imo. Hopefully Souray will and in a few years Komi as well........ And let me add that I agree w those who remember how well Markov can play Really solid D...break up plays in his own zone and get the puck out quickly. Hopefully this will be his break-out year!!

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting that the Habs actually pursue Colin White; I was just responding to the question posed.

I think our D will be fine and i cant wait to find out if Hainsey, Bullion, Streit, or Benoit make the team....I'm secretly cheering for kevin Lavalle (Shhhh!) but more realistically I think he's AHL or ECHL material at this point.

Right now, the last thing in the world I want is a trade. Let's find out what we have and then in Jan or Feb if / when Elias comes back Bob can rob LL because the Devils will be desperate to clear some cap room:D:/):hlogo:

I have to agree a little with the Markov assesments, lets not forget the guy went from a sudden double digit minus in his first two seasons to a guy we relied upon as seasons wore on. With a good start, some more confidence, and also a better defence partner than Rivet IMO, this guy could be a Sydor type of #1 D-man.

With Sinden's penny pinching going on in Beantown right now with a few early holdouts, what about plucking Nick Boynton? He's as quality an all-around defenceman as there is in the league at 26 and could be retained for the next few years at a decent price, given your not a miser like Sinden (probably around 2 mil).

I don't think we need a Norris type D-man at this point, but someone better than Rivet alonside our #1, whether it's Souray or Markov, would get us a lot closer to that high quality 6 we had in '93.