Canadiens Sign Arsen Khisamutdinov to 2 year ELC

mineral

I'm surprised at this but not surprised.  The Habs weren't hiding the fact that their original plan was to sign him after this season so from that standpoint, this wasn't unexpected.  But after how little he played (and didn't do much), I thought they may have tried to encourage him to stick around for one more year and hopefully lock down a bigger role.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I'm surprised at this but not surprised.  The Habs weren't hiding the fact that their original plan was to sign him after this season so from that standpoint, this wasn't unexpected.  But after how little he played (and didn't do much), I thought they may have tried to encourage him to stick around for one more year and hopefully lock down a bigger role.

What role will he likely get in Laval next year?

Bottom six winger.

2 minutes ago, DON said:

What role will he likely get in Laval next year?

I think he's a bottom-six guy to start so his ice time may not be all that much higher than it was in the KHL. 

12 hours ago, Trizzak said:

ECHL, even?

It's possible but I hope it doesn't come to that.  The KHL is a pretty strong league so dropping to the ECHL would be a huge step back.  We already know he can produce against weaker competition based on his VHL and MHL numbers.  Not having a guaranteed ECHL affiliate doesn't help either.