2020 NHL draft

HabsWEST

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Let’s bring PK home  on that trade :nuts: 

Well ... technically ... they would be getting younger (31 vs Petry turning 33 and Weber 35) ... and he "only" has the next two seasons left @ $9M AAV ... 

:sarcasm_on:

Suppose it might be theoretically doable (but MB unlikely to consider) ... something like Alzner, Weal, and two 2nd rounders for PK and Arizona's first (18th) ????

8 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Maybe would be better taking a chance on Pietrbngelo or Krug if any of them go to UFA than trying to trade for PK.

Well ... If you're going to be serious ... Of those two, Krug makes more sense unless a Pietrangelo signing leads to Weber or Petry being dealt

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Well ... If you're going to be serious ... Of those two, Krug makes more sense unless a Pietrangelo signing leads to Weber or Petry being dealt

I wouldn’t have a problem with that. Both would bring good returns and don’t know what kind of term or dollars Petry will be looking for.

what I do know is that Weber has 6 or 7 years left and I’d be pretty scared having Petry on a 7 or 8 year deal as well.  I also wouldn’t want Weber and Pieteanglo both with contracts that long.  League is getting younger and faster at every position.  I don’t want to become the Calgary flames. Old at the backend and slow overall. Giordano won the norris last year and had a substantial fall off this year and the pitchforks are out right now.

15 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I wouldn’t have a problem with that. Both would bring good returns and don’t know what kind of term or dollars Petry will be looking for.

what I do know is that Weber has 6 or 7 years left and I’d be pretty scared having Petry on a 7 or 8 year deal as well.  I also wouldn’t want Weber and Pieteanglo both with contracts that long.  League is getting younger and faster at every position.  I don’t want to become the Calgary flames. Old at the backend and slow overall. Giordano won the norris last year and had a substantial fall off this year and the pitchforks are out right now.

Weber has 6 years ... but his actual salary is $6M for 20/21 and 21/22, then $3M for a season and then $1 million for the last three seasons ... I suspect he will play only 2, maybe 3 more seasons ... he will be 36 after the second $6M season, he might be back for $3M but h-hard to see him playing for $1M.

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Weber has 6 years ... but his actual salary is $6M for 20/21 and 21/22, then $3M for a season and then $1 million for the last three seasons ... I suspect he will play only 2, maybe 3 seasons ... he will be 36 after the second $6M season, he might be back for $3M but h-hard to see him playing for $1M.

Depends if he wins a cup or not and how. I had that matters to if he has t won it when he gets to that stage.

I think we have room for one big contract this offseason, not two. 

If I'm looking for a big contract, I'm after a game breaker at wing, not a defenceman.  I think Kulak, Chiarot, Romanov, and Mete.... is a good 1-4 on the Left, and you have Weber, Petry, Juulsen and Fleury on the right. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If I'm looking for a big contract, I'm after a game breaker at wing, not a defenceman.  I think Kulak, Chiarot, Romanov, and Mete.... is a good 1-4 on the Left, and you have Weber, Petry, Juulsen and Fleury on the right. 

Agree ... there may be an opportunity for two major moves (UFA, RFA or trade) if MB can manage to offload Alzner somehow

32 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Assuming we strike out on Hall, who would you most want out of Granlund, Toffoli, Dadanov and Hoffman and how much would it cost? 

48 minutes ago, Neech said:

Assuming we strike out on Hall, who would you most want out of Granlund, Toffoli, Dadanov and Hoffman and how much would it cost? 

this is the draft thread but will post here: I was going through the salary structure of the Habs compared to other teams to get an idea of what UFAs may be asking for, and I think it is not very likely we will get Krug, Pietrangelo , Hall etc. They do not fir in the Habs salary structure.

I am guessing MB will be looking for a 4.5M to 5.5M winger and a 7M RD that are upgrades on what he has on term and production. The goalie will need to be within the mid range (I don't know what that may be) to keep the enough cap for the summer of 2021 re-signings.

4 hours ago, Neech said:

Dadanov

Hoffman

Toffoli

Granlund 

Is my order and probably starts with a 6.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... I am guessing MB will be looking for a 4.5M to 5.5M winger and a 7M RD that are upgrades on what he has on term and production. The goalie will need to be within the mid range (I don't know what that may be) to keep the enough cap for the summer of 2021 re-signings.

FORWARDS: Don't disagree, but it will solve nothing ... $4.5-5.5M winger(s) adds a guy(s) who at best can be counted on for 20--25 goals ... or more of what they already have ... Habs need at least one (ideally two) high-end top 6 wingers

DEFENCE: Only RHD worth $7M is Pietrangelo ... and that won't get him to Montreal

GOALIE: Doubt MB pays more than $2M ... and that doesn't get a goalie who he "knows" can play 25-30 games ... it gets another Kinkaid-like journeyman starter on the back-end of his career

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Dadanov

Hoffman

Toffoli

Granlund 

Is my order and probably starts with a 6.

Dadonov  ... 30 goals per 82 games scorer since returning to the NHL ... definite upgrade ... term may be more of an issue with him given he is 31 ... 

Hoffman ☑️ ... 28g/82 games scorer, 35g/82 since leaving Ottawa ... definitely an option ... my only concern is that Habs be certain the understand WHAT happened in Ottawa with Karlsson's wife and be confident nothing similar would happen here ... issues of any kind will be harder to hide under the Montreal Media Microscope (trademark pending) than it was with the "team friendly" Ottawa sheep.

Toffoli ...  23g/82 games career scorer, even counting his one 31 goal season (this season was on average except for a blip in his 10 games in Vancouver) ... not an upgrade IMO ... only worth signing if the AAV is good and a couple of current top 9 wingers are moved out in a deal for a legit Top 4 LHD or top line winger

Granlund  ... 17g/82 scorer with a career best 26 goals ... not an upgrade ... pass

As for Domi.  Here are some numbers on him this season and this playoffs.

Even in the regular season, he was better than his point total indicates.  The guy was setting up plays and teammates werent finishing.

In the playoffs, playing with Dale Weise completely cratered his effectiveness.

57 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Fine, I get it. Weise was a drag on Domi.

But like in life, you do like we all had to do when we were paired with lazy student in class that only showed up to get his name added to the group project: you carry the load.

Domi is not able to carry teh load, he is a complementary player and not a player you can count/build on (like Drouin... actually not even like Drouin). The Habs need a reliable top 6 winger and Domi is not it.

20 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Fine, I get it. Weise was a drag on Domi.

But like in life, you do like we all had to do when we were paired with lazy student in class that only showed up to get his name added to the group project: you carry the load.

Domi is not able to carry teh load, he is a complementary player and not a player you can count/build on (like Drouin... actually not even like Drouin). The Habs need a reliable top 6 winger and Domi is not it.

A reliable top 6 winger?  Yes he is.

A number 1 game breaking winger?  No... no one on the team is that. 

That doesn't mean that Domi can't be opposite that game breaking winger (in fact Domi's playmaking ability makes him the perfect winger to form a duo with that goal scoring game breaker that we need to acquire). 

Drouin - Suzuki - Gallagher 

GameBreaker - KK - Domi

Tatar - Danault - Armia/Lehkonen

Is a strong top 9 assuming that our centres play in the playoffs continues. 

What are your thought of taking Zary at 16?

Would it be worthwhile to try and trade up to get a Quinn or d-man, or just take BPA at 16?

What is chance Devils would deal one of later 1st round picks?

Zary is a really good talent.  I'd probably go for Holloway in that range though, or Mercer.  Quinn would be a nice trade up to get.  Normally i say don't trade up that you are better making multiple picks, but given the number of picks the Habs have, the strength of the pool and the 50 contract limit, trading up makes some sense. 

I have a weird feeling that Hendrix Lapierre will get a lot of consideration ... depending who goes ahead of #16 ... Hendrix was a top 10 rated prospect entering 19/20 ... dropped because of what was initially called a concussion but apparently was a neck issue that caused concussion-like symptoms ... think he is better than his ranking suggests, just have to be certain about the neck ... he had an excellent 2019 Hlinka Gretzky Cup (2nd leading scorer) ...