2020 NHL draft

HabsWEST

32 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Unless Bergevin trades away some D in the next week or so, he better be picking up a forward in the first round.

At #16 the players are almost certainly at least a couple of years ... if a defenceman is available who they rank as distinctly superior to the available forwards you take him ... but at equal "internal rating" you obviously take a forward, ideally a scoring winger.

Wonder if MB & TT could resist if somehow Yaroslav Askarov slips to #16.

6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

At #16 the players are almost certainly at least a couple of years ... if a defenceman is available who they rank as distinctly superior to the available forwards you take him ... but at equal "internal rating" you obviously take a forward, ideally a scoring winger.

Wonder if MB & TT could resist if somehow Yaroslav Askarov slips to #16.

Two things about picking a D. First, we have a lot of decent prospects in the pipeline already. Second, a D prospect will take several years longer to make an impact in the NHL. Pick one now, and the Price/Weber window will have closed before he is ready for a Habs sweater. A forward might be ready significantly earlier.

6 hours ago, DON said:

Corey Pronman did 7 round mockdraft, bit of a trend in his top Hab picks.

16 Kaiden Gruhle    D WHL

47 Ty Simlanic        LW/C USA

48 Will Cuylle          LW OHL

57 Roby Jarventie  LW Liiga

78 Brent Berard      LW USA

That makes me feel better about some of the picks we made in HW's mock draft last night (which should go up on Monday).

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Two things about picking a D. First, we have a lot of decent prospects in the pipeline already. Second, a D prospect will take several years longer to make an impact in the NHL. Pick one now, and the Price/Weber window will have closed before he is ready for a Habs sweater. A forward might be ready significantly earlier.

JUST said you don't pass on a superior D prospect to draft a good forward prospect ... especially when whoever is drafted at #16 is very likely to not be in the NHL before at least 22/23 ... when Weber will be 37 and set to make $3M in real salary (followed by 3 years @ $1M), I wonder if he plays it out at that point .. especially if he has any more injury issues.

That's fair. But will there be a substantially better defenceman available at #16? I suspect not, but we won't know for a few weeks yet.

Personally, I really like the look of Reichel. A solid season at 17/18-yo in the DEL, with speed and playmaking skills. But, hey, I have never seen him play, I just read other people's prospect assessments! 😆

14 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

If Quinn is on the board do you trade up and try to draft him? 

Depends what it costs ... Assuming #16 isn't traded ... if it takes #16 and #56 yes ... #16 and #48 maybe

My only concern with Quinn is the ***possibility*** that he was Drouin to Rossi's MacKinnon.

Great comment on TSN690 "Habs Lunch" ... with your first and second round picks you should almost always draft GOALS

It's interesting that, pre-draft, Bergevin has extended Petry, but no one else. Not that I'm unhappy, but why Petry and only Petry? Was he the only one willing to sign at a decent price?

Bergevin said in the interview that extending someone does not take long at all, as long as they are in the same ballpark. So, either they decided to defer the others, or they were asking for more than the Habs were willing to pay at this point.

5 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Can't wait for the draft. This draft from it seems like their could be a lot of trades going down. Should be very interesting to see.

Even if there aren't many trades ... the "experts" broadcasting the draft will IMO have a hard time predicting picks past the first 2-4 (unless they have GREAT inside sources)

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It's interesting that, pre-draft, Bergevin has extended Petry, but no one else. Not that I'm unhappy, but why Petry and only Petry? Was he the only one willing to sign at a decent price?

Expect that is a reasonable assumption ... 

38 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Bergevin said in the interview that extending someone does not take long at all, as long as they are in the same ballpark. So, either they decided to defer the others, or they were asking for more than the Habs were willing to pay at this point.

I have a feeling that they are unsure about some of the other players.  

Tatar is good during the regular season, but has disappeared in the last two playoffs.  

Danault has expressed some displeasure with the ideal of potentially being third fiddle to Kotkaniemi and Suzuki.

Domi is unhappy with his role on the team as well and feels he should be playing center on one of the top two lines.

Mete is starting to look like the odd man out after being outplayed in the playoffs by Kulak and the trade/signing of Edmundson.

Not sure about the hold up on Gallagher or Armia.  I could see Gallagher wanting more than what the Habs cap structure would allow and getting big money (in what could very well end up being a "bad" contract) in free agency.

The rest of the UFAs/RFAs for this season and next are kind of "meh".

Also have to take into account protection slots for the expansion draft.  Could be why they are not trying to extend everyone. 

41 minutes ago, John B said:

I have a feeling that they are unsure about some of the other players.  

Tatar is good during the regular season, but has disappeared in the last two playoffs.  

Danault has expressed some displeasure with the ideal of potentially being third fiddle to Kotkaniemi and Suzuki.

Domi is unhappy with his role on the team as well and feels he should be playing center on one of the top two lines.

Mete is starting to look like the odd man out after being outplayed in the playoffs by Kulak and the trade/signing of Edmundson.

Not sure about the hold up on Gallagher or Armia.  I could see Gallagher wanting more than what the Habs cap structure would allow and getting big money (in what could very well end up being a "bad" contract) in free agency.

The rest of the UFAs/RFAs for this season and next are kind of "meh".

Also have to take into account protection slots for the expansion draft.  Could be why they are not trying to extend everyone. 

Yeah only way I see them trading Gallagher is if he's asking for too much money. So I guess the question is what's Gallagher's worth? 

5 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

If Quinn is on the board do you trade up and try to draft him? 

Depends if Nashville or Florida will trade down from 11th & 12th to 16th. Dont think he would fall to 13th, from what i have read, watched and guess anyways.:spamafote:

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Bergevin has said he wants to go one at a time.  Petry was first, now talks are opening up with Gallagher with a pledge to make him the top-paid forward and a statement from Bergevin that he knows four or five years won't be enough.  There has also been preliminary tire-kicking with Danault's camp but nothing for Tatar.

For whatever its worth ... Hockey30 reports Marc Bergevin & Trevor Timmins in Chicoutimi tonight to watch Dawson Mercer, Hendrix Lapierre et Mavrik Bourque.

They all made the scoresheet

13 hours ago, DON said:

Depends if Nashville or Florida will trade down from 11th & 12th to 16th. Dont think he would fall to 13th, from what i have read, watched and guess anyways.:spamafote:

Regardless, MB has said he won’t trade up in his recent interviews

4 hours ago, Meller93 said:

Regardless, MB has said he won’t trade up in his recent interviews

And GMs have never said anything that isn't true ... to be clear, I don't expect MB will trade up ... but Bergevin, like any GM, says publicly that which will best advantage him when it comes to trades and contract negotiations.

This profile (extracts below) certainly makes it sound like a good pick

Gunler is a pure, natural sniper ... heavy wrist shot with a good release ... excellent slap shot and one-timer ... quick and accurate snapshot ... strong backhand ... the hands to deke a goaltender as well as to put the puck through tight spaces ... hand-eye coordination to get tip-ins and rebounds ... a good playmaker, his quick hands change angles and create passing lanes ... strong on the puck and protects it on the cycle ... patience to slow down the play and allow his teammates to get open ... vision to find them and the skills to get them the puck ... Gunler has the potential to be a top-line winger in the NHL and an effective point producer ... a year or two away from the NHL at a minimum ... needs to work on getting stronger, as he has good height but really needs to add muscle to his frame at this point.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

This profile (extracts below) certainly makes it sound like a good pick

Gunler is a pure, natural sniper ... heavy wrist shot with a good release ... excellent slap shot and one-timer ... quick and accurate snapshot ... strong backhand ... the hands to deke a goaltender as well as to put the puck through tight spaces ... hand-eye coordination to get tip-ins and rebounds ... a good playmaker, his quick hands change angles and create passing lanes ... strong on the puck and protects it on the cycle ... patience to slow down the play and allow his teammates to get open ... vision to find them and the skills to get them the puck ... Gunler has the potential to be a top-line winger in the NHL and an effective point producer ... a year or two away from the NHL at a minimum ... needs to work on getting stronger, as he has good height but really needs to add muscle to his frame at this point.

Pronman says:

Gunler played all season up in the SHL, getting limited minutes for one of the top teams in that league. He excited folks when he scored 27 goals in 31 junior games last season. Gunler is a high-end passer and shooter. He shows great vision and patience, holding pucks and finding teammates through seams. He shows good creativity on his entries with flashes of top-end skill. He has a very hard shot and projects as a legit mid-distance shooter. The combination of his shot and vision makes him a threat inside the offensive zone and on the power play. Off the puck, his game is just OK. He is a physical player who regularly throws his weight around and can win battles versus men, however, scouts criticize his compete level and discipline at times. Gunler’s skating is average as well. His stride looks good but lacks any real power.

25 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Pronman says:

Every profile is the authors opinion/analysis ... seems to me Pronman's description of his offensive skills is very similar ... which is what the habs need ... enough of the well-rounded, "complete" players

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Every profile is the authors opinion/analysis ... seems to me Pronman's description of his offensive skills is very similar ... which is what the habs need ... enough of the well-rounded, "complete" players

17 Noah Gunler – F – He’s a goal scorer and when he’s on, he’s fun to watch. Great shot and makes fun plays offensively, great offensive instincts. He’s not higher due to consistency issues, he tends to disappear sometimes, plus although he shows quick bursts, sometimes he’s gliding out there, so might be an effort thing. Potential: No.2 RW

Jokke Nevalainen - Dobber Prospects - Sept. 30th: "His shot release is arguably the best in this draft class as he can get shots off faster than anyone without hurting the power or accuracy of the shot. He’s also a great playmaker who can utilize his skills and vision to create scoring chances."
Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Sept. 21st: "I would argue his straight-line skating is actually an asset. It looks a little weird. Like some others his age, he picks up his stick and pitchforks more than you would like. You’d prefer to see him extending his stick forward in one smooth north-south motion."

Steve Kourmianos - The Draft Analyst - Aug. 10th: "He can be a bit of a floater or stay on the periphery without starting or stopping much, and Sweden has never been keen on inviting him to championship tournaments. If the lad has in fact matured and can add some spark to his game, look out."

Chris Peters - ESPN - June 30th: "A polarizing figure in this draft class, Gunler certainly has the skill to be a higher pick. Concerns about maturity and the Swedish federation's avoidance of using him at international tournaments have raised some red flags."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - June 25th: "A good late option for a team with multiple picks trying to hit a home run."

Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - June 22nd: "The 6-2, 176-pound forward possesses good passing skills, shot selection and willingness to drive to the net to create offense ... He has intimidating size and earned big minutes on the power play with his soft hands and playmaking ability."

Josh Bell - The Hockey Writers - May 11th: "He’s a very offensive player, but don’t put too much weight into the rumours that he can’t defend – he can. He’s one of the best shooters in this class."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Apr. 8th: "A wildcard for a number of reasons, including limited playing time, being excluded from international teams, and inconsistency. Those factors work against his elite scoring ability."

Cam Robinson - Dobber Prospects - Apr. 1st: "For whatever reason, Sweden has shied away from including Gunler on their national teams, but wherever this kid goes, he produces. Owns one of the most lethal shots in the draft. A great mind for finding soft spots."

Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - Mar. 20th: "A strong skater with good passing skills, shot selection, and a willingness to drive to the net to create offense. He had 13 points (four goals, nine assists) in 9:49 of average ice time in 45 SHL games."

Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com - Mar. 6th: "A skater with good passing skills, shot selection, and who is unafraid to drive the net to create offense."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Mar. 4th: "Like many of the young Swedes, he’s in between being to good for the U20 league and not yet good enough to be a top six in the SHL. In any event, his ability to shoot the puck will translate."

Steve Koumianos - The Draft Analyst - Feb. 20th: "His skill set is more than impressive, especially when you consider his dual-threat capabilities. Gunler’s skating being criticized is a bit odd to me because I don’t think I’ve ever seen an instance (other than at the end of a shift) where his foot speed, agility, or balance was problematic."

Sam Cosentino - Sportsnet - Feb. 5th: "Goal-scoring is the driving force behind this player. Plays with energy, especially in the offensive zone. Has deception in his lightning quick release."

It is curious as to why he has not been selected for any national teams after a handful of U17 games. However, I expect that the scouts have figured out whether that's significant or not.