Habs trading up for some solid D help...

ch for life

I have heard rumours everywhere about this possibility. And as we have great depth and prospects at every posistion other than that it makes sense..unlike those jesus is going to be traded to the leafs for pat quinns toupee and a bag of pucks crap that you constantly have to hear about from tsn, sportsnet and thn (toronto hockey news).

I just wondered if any body had heard anything substantial and if not if they would care to speculate...

the most realistic i have heard so far is brendan witt and a draft pick for zednick and heino-lindberg or colin white for a third round and a milroy/ferland type prospect...

:hlogo: the only way to go is up..

Given a choice, I'd go for the second of those two.

Trading "up" for what? The way you worded it, it sounds like your talking about trading up in the draft.

Anyways, I'm all for trading some of our forward depth to strenghten the D. But that first trade proposal is horrible, Witt isnt worth anywhere near that much. Colin White has higher value then B.Witt, but yet your offering less for White? Makes no sense.

Also, why would the Devils trade White after already losing Niedermayer and Stevens?

Originally posted by ch for life

I have heard rumours everywhere about this possibility. And as we have great depth and prospects at every posistion other than that it makes sense..unlike those jesus is going to be traded to the leafs for pat quinns toupee and a bag of pucks crap that you constantly have to hear about from tsn, sportsnet and thn (toronto hockey news).

I just wondered if any body had heard anything substantial and if not if they would care to speculate...

the most realistic i have heard so far is brendan witt and a draft pick for zednick and heino-lindberg or colin white for a third round and a milroy/ferland type prospect...

:hlogo: the only way to go is up..

ch for life, You Kill Me. this is one of the funniest things I read in a long time about Quinn and Toronto :/)

If we can get Witt (NOT for any of our top 6 forwards) it would be a major help on defense. I am not convinced our defense is set. It is not bad, just not tough enough to play physically against those walking Redwood Trees in Philly. As long as the Habs are skating hard I am sure they can skate rings around Flyers, Leafs. Must skate fast though!

To Puck:

New jersey has no choice but to dump salary and getting rid of rookies or low paids is not going to do it. Colin white is a solid d-man and even though what i heard does seem low for him..even with the cap considerations..if they are shopping him..i would give up quite a bit more if we could lock him down for 3 or 4 years.

And yes Witt is not that great.. but he is tough and likes to hit(underated imo)..things we need in a defensman..if you think he is that bad what does that say about our defense because i would say he would be 4 or 5 on habs d.

plus washington is going to blow hard this year and a first or second round draft pick from them would be great to have..

p.s. : dont get so worked up..these are rumours i didnt even say they were realistic ..jsut what id heard.

Originally posted by ch for life

To Puck:

New jersey has no choice but to dump salary and getting rid of rookies or low paids is not going to do it. Colin white is a solid d-man and even though what i heard does seem low for him..even with the cap considerations..if they are shopping him..i would give up quite a bit more if we could lock him down for 3 or 4 years.

I think they'll probably trade a forward (Friesen maybe) before Colin White or other D's.

p.s. : dont get so worked up..these are rumours i didnt even say they were realistic ..jsut what id heard.

Worked up? Me. No, I'm actually very easy going.

DAMNIT! I NEVER GET WORKED UP &*$*&@^$^*@$*! :o

trading friesen would be a much better choice for new jersey but much harder..he underperforms for his salary and new jersey will want picks or prospects for him..which are now at a premium in this new nhl..in other simpler times..toronto would just pick him up and he could underperform while rreading about how he was going to win the hart int the globe and mail everyday. although new jersey wouldnt need to trade him then.. iguess

Originally posted by DANFALCAO

dumb rumours zeddnik for witt lol no coment

I agree, Richard Zednik is one of those guys that you trade and they come back to bite you in the fanny. I did not like him at first. Now I think he is an important part of the first line. Only if we could trade a future prospect or draft pick would I trade for Witt. Montreal is like a gold mine right now, and many clubs are going to try and trade for our forwards.

Originally posted by ap79

Just got to keep the salary cap in mind...

I think Habs should wait to see what the kids do over half a season. If they're OK and we can afford to let a veteran forward go, pull the trigger.

I think we need our veterans in the play-offs. Youngsters have no experience with that!

I've heard Witt is a horrible team player. Venim for the locker room. Anybody else hear this? (can't recall where I read it, but it came up when he first asked the Caps to trade him)

I think we should stay put for awhile and see how things go. I don't think Hainsey or Stait are panning out too well. Maybee just so, so at best. We'll wait and see first.

Don't trade Zednik. He comes to us fairly inexpensive and great for that first line.

Here's an article by TSN.ca on Mark Streit:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=137464

Some extracts:

the Habs like him and appear ready to be patient.

Now, he has to adjust to the smaller rink and quicker, more physical play in the NHL.

''He's very smart with the puck and he has an excellent shot,'' said Julien. ''I think he's feeling more at ease as the camp goes on.

''He was a star for his country at the world championships and we feel he'll get better from week to week.''

There are also comments on Hainsey & Benoit.

It's too early to pull the trigger unless the trade offer is sure-fire (e.g., a proven D-man for a third-round pick or something). Based purely on the preseason results the Habs are looking like a dangerous blend of speed, depth, and experience + youth. This is true even on D---and if Souray or Markhov or even Dandenault step up, our problem is basically solved. So I say, let the new mix play together for a while and see what shakes out. And given that Cool Hand Bob is in charge, that's exactly what I expect will happen. :/)

[Edited on 2005/9/25 by Roo-AH! Roo-AH!]

I'm with Roo-AH...I think Gainey is listening to all offers but is unlikely to pull off a trade involving our youth till after the holidays...No reason to jump the gun...The D is solid and our young guys are competing for spots...We're pretty deep up front...Gainey will only pull the trigger if the Habs get some upside value...

Originally posted by Leafs Suck
Originally posted by DANFALCAO

dumb rumours zeddnik for witt lol no coment

I wouldn't trade Zednik's left skate for dressing-room-cancer Witt.

Leafs Suck, where did you read this. Sometimes guys get a false reputation because another guy is not happy with them. Which is why I never get involed in Corporate Politics at work. Is it fact or fiction, I do not know....