Garon

les_glorieux

I'm hoping he does well. He was a great guy in the Habs organization. We can't take that away from him. Gainey managed to get Bonk, who we needed as a big third line center. Gainey also redeemed himself by also getting Price this year. Hopefully LA and Montreal will benefit from the trade. I think they both will. Bonk is not expected to score 30+ goals in Montreal. 15-20+ would be nice. I think he can certainly attain this.

I will say one thing more...I'm glad that we won't have to face Garon often.

Big deal, so he passed waivers before he was good enough to be in the NHL. That's meaningless. Martin St. Louis was never drafted. That's 10 times harder to do than passing waivers, where teams only have 1 chance to get you, instead of 9. Does that mean if the Bolts lose St. Louis it's no big deal?

They would be WRONG!

There is a possibility that he could be as good or better than you know who, but he isnt at present

Originally posted by zumpano21

Huet better than Garon?

I know this is heresy around these parts but SOME people might say that Garon was better than you know who.

Regardless. His presence with the team was, at the time, as a back-up goalie. Théodore was well established and widely recognized as one of the best in the league by the ones that count, not the armchair or rinkside coaches.

We needed to be bigger up front - Bonk gives that (with a good level of talent). We also got a very good back-up also, considered by, again those who count, as even possibly a 1A goalie.

So, on the whole, Montreal did very well with this trade. Like most others, I hope things go well for Garon. If he ends up being better than Théodore, I can probably refer to the Lafleur in Montreal / Dionne in Detroit/LA discussions.

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

Kaos: that was my point. There is no point comparing players until both of them have had similar opportunities to succeed or fail. If Garon is LA's # 1 guy, then, barring serious injury, we will be able to evaluate his ability and the trade after both he and Bonk get to play.

This Garon-mania drives me crazy...

The guy might or might not end up becoming a fine NHL starting goalie. But anyone who thinks he's better than Theodore is falling prey to the old 'grass is always greener' fallacy. What he is, is UNPROVEN. Because of that, people can read all kinds of wonderful things into him. He's a blank slate on which they can write their goaltending fantasies.

I'm old enough to remember the old Patrick Roy/Brian Hayward tandem of the mid- to late 1980s. Hayward got 30+ starts, mostly against weaker teams. He looked good. A lot of people at the time preferred him to Roy on the grounds that he was more 'consistent.' Guess what---Brian Hayward NEVER MADE IT as a #1 goalie. Meanwhile, the 'inconsistent' Roy went on to do pretty well.

I'd also like to remind Theodore-bashers that a lot of Montreal fans (mostly Anglophones) never thought much of Patrick Roy, either, although they won't admit to that now, of course. 'Overrated' was a word I heard a lot back in the day. People just love to look gift goalies in the mouth. All they remember are the mistakes---they quickly forget about all the games Roy (or, to a less degree, Theodore) steal, all the game-breaking saves, etc..

The fact is, it's hard to be an elite NHL goalie. Lots of guys look great for short periods (e.g., Brian Boucher)and as backups (Hayward, Laroque), but only a few can deliver the goods for full seasons, season after season. 'Delivering the goods' doesn't mean perfection; it means giving your team the knowledge that their goalie is as good or better than the guy at the other end, on a nightly basis. Theodore has proven that he can do this. He has also proven that he can steal playoff rounds, a sign that, if the Habs ever build a strong enough team, they'll be able to win the Cup with him. Garon hasn't even proven that he can put together a decent season, let alone carry a team on his back or win anything in the playoffs. And until Garon does prove these things, he is inferior to Theodore. End of story.

This is one Anglophone who always thought Patrick was the best goalie to have when the game was on the line. I'm not a Theodore or a Roy basher. If I was, I WOULD admit it!

Those who thought that Roy was overated missed the 1986 playoffs and the 1993 Playoffs and other years as well. Maybe they were not true habs fans.

Trust me, Brett, these guys were a significant minority right up to the 1993 playoffs. After that, they did shut up.

The line of thinking that criticized Patrick Roy was similar to that that criticizes Theodore. It went like this: 'Roy's playoff run was a fluke, he just got hot, he's really not that great, he's inconsistent, Hayward is more reliable.'

Nowadays, the same mindset is saying, 'Theodore's not that great, his MVP season was just a fluke, he just got hot, he's inconsistent, Garon would be better.'

Both attitudes are equally full of crap. :mad:

Originally posted by Roo-AH! Roo-AH!

Trust me, Brett, these guys were a significant minority right up to the 1993 playoffs. After that, they did shut up.

The line of thinking that criticized Patrick Roy was similar to that that criticizes Theodore. It went like this: 'Roy's playoff run was a fluke, he just got hot, he's really not that great, he's inconsistent, Hayward is more reliable.'

Nowadays, the same mindset is saying, 'Theodore's not that great, his MVP season was just a fluke, he just got hot, he's inconsistent, Garon would be better.'

Both attitudes are equally full of crap. :mad:

I think we all know that without Theo or even Roy, Montreal wouldn't have even made the playoffs or won the cup in '86 or '93.

Sure, they have had poor games...Roy's last game in Montreal...but I think he'll be remembered as a winner!!!

Win as a team, lose as a team!!!

Originally posted by beckham

...no great loss. Huet is probably a better goaltender.

I can't really say how good Huet is but I'm confident Garon is better. Garon is also much younger. He was always overshadowed by Theodore so no one ever appreciated hi greta saves. Him and Theo were possibly the best 1-2 punch in the league.

.........if they were concerned about their goaltending depth. Bonk is much more valuable to the team than Garon. Huet is a proven NHL goaler who is content to back up and doesn't have a big salary. Danis brings everything that Garon did and he was a free agent.

I can't really say how good Huet is but I'm confident Garon is better. Garon is also much younger. He was always overshadowed by Theodore so no one ever appreciated hi greta saves. Him and Theo were possibly the best 1-2 punch in the league.

Huet is 2 years older than Garon. He has slightly more NHL experience, but a lot more international experience.

Their career records are about the same. Huet earns less than half the salary as Garon. Biron is just a few months older than Garon but has loads of NHL experience, and also has a similar career average to the other two.

Originally posted by beckham

Huet is a proven NHL goaler who is content to back up and doesn't have a big salary.

I agree. Last seson (I think) when Cechmanek was out due to an injury, Huet played so well that he was the main reason that LA just about made the playoffs. He's solid.