streit or hainsey

MAK

wich one of the two will we in Mtl on opening night

I think hainsey as an edge...but everything could change in the next few games.

if they decide to keep streit, they would have to put hainsey in waivers..::

I've been less than impressed by Hainsey so far in camp. He has all the skills but his brains just can't seem to follow. When he's not making judgment mistakes, he's slacking off. He also doesn't appears to have enough vision & hockey smarts to be a good d-man at the NHL level.

I'd say right now, from what I've seen in pre-season, Streit is already more reliable than Hainsey. And Streit's just getting used to the NHL game, so that can only improve. The only thing I'm worried about Streit is that he gets fatigued as the season goes on.

Heck, based on games so far even J-P Côté is doing better than Hainsey:

POS NO. PLAYER                  GP   G   A PTS  +/-  PIM PP SH GW OTG  S   PCTG

D    64 *Cote, Jean-Philippe     2   0   1   1   1     4  0  0  0  0    4   0.0

D    32  Streit, Mark            3   0   1   1   2-    4  0  0  0  0    3   0.0

D    65  Hainsey, Ron            3   0   0   0   2-    2  0  0  0  0    4   0.0

[Edited on 26-9-2005 by ap79]

In my opinion neither player is anything to write home about. Think Hainsey probably has the edge as he'd have to clear waivers (but then again Streit might prefer to return to being a star in Switzerland than go to Hamilton). In either case, I think we are talking about very mediocre NHL level players.

Good job on the stats AP79.

I pick Hainsey because of the possible upside. He is 6'3" had 2 points in 11 games with Montreal and a +3 in +/- in 2003-2004. He is young, 211lbs and will probably fill out some more.

I think Striet is a good defenceman but we do have to get a little tougher back of the blue line or our guys are going to get pushed around. I think Hainsey is tougher but that's my opinion.:hockey:

I'd go with Hainsey also. It may be that he'll be paired off with Komisarek. Last year, in Hamilton, when Komisarek came to the Bulldogs, Hainsey's game improved dramatically.

Maybe Julien will respect that pairing but I doubt it. The problem with it is that if Hainsey only plays well with Komisarek, what happens if Komisared is gets hurt or sick. Do we see Hainsey slide down into mediocrity?

Geezzzzz what a situation.

I think they will keep both, for awhile at least. Hainsey is a valuable commodity. Once he settles in, he will be an NHL regular for the next dozen years at least. Streit is a valuable commodity because he has a lot of experience and could handle being the 8th dman in a similar fashion that Cristobal Huet is a good fit as a backup goaltender. Both Euros are smart, experienced, cost little to employ, and don't have high expectations.

Originally posted by ~moeman

Pains me to say it but give Hainsey a chance.

Doctor Fozzy says that if it hurts to say it then the best medicine is 'don't say it'. ;););)

I think they'll end up using Streit. He's only got the one-way contract, so they'll probably try him out for a bit, and if he can't cut it NA. style, bring Hainsey back up.

I think Hainsey has more potential, but he just can't seem to get his head into it.

Originally posted by lazy26

I think they'll end up using Streit. He's only got the one-way contract, so they'll probably try him out for a bit, and if he can't cut it NA. style, bring Hainsey back up.

I think Hainsey has more potential, but he just can't seem to get his head into it.

It's not true, Streit has a two-way contract.

Originally posted by diebels

It's not true, Streit has a two-way contract.

If so throw him to the Dogs to adjust to less ice and more hitting, call him up in awhile if Hainsey isn't performing.

The fact that they're playing together isn't bringing out the best from either competing for this roster spot, I think the first thing they need to do is split these two up.

All things considered though, I think Hainsey needs a change of environment, whereas Streit could definitely use the AHL icetime more to his advantage, and give him some much needed confidence outside the Swiis league. My first thought is that this scenario sets Hainsey up to stumble while Streit steals his spot mid/late season, but man it has to be now or never for Hainsey the same way it is for Hossa. It can't send the right message to guys like Hossa, Plekanec or even Komisarek that mediocre and listless play will get get you an NHL job.