2020 Playoffs - Projected Habs lineup

revvvrob

53 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If by some miracle we win, it’s because a Price stands on his head and some of the kids surprise.  It won’t be that daily friggin Weise lives up to his Dutch Gretzky nickname. Being OK on a team going nowhere is hardly a reason to play him.

I couldn’t agree more. Weise should have no place on this team during the play in. Period! With that said, what a breath of fresh air to hear that Kotkaniemi looks better on his skates and a reminder that usually it takes a year post OP to feel normal again after knee surgery. Obviously it wasn’t a reconstruction but nonetheless it takes time... He’s only 20.

The real question for me is not if Domi plays but where he plays. I see him moving to wing opening up a spot for KK to get some playoff experience and th either question is it Evans or Poehling at 4C? Between Lehkonan and Weal?

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If by some miracle we win, it’s because a Price stands on his head and some of the kids surprise.  It won’t be that daily friggin Weise lives up to his Dutch Gretzky nickname. Being OK on a team going nowhere is hardly a reason to play him.

If Dale Weise plays and wins a Stanley Cup he deserves every bit of respect that the rest of the team gets. The coach's job is to try to win games, and if that means Dutch Gretzky is lacing them up then let's go

1 hour ago, illWill said:

If Dale Weise plays and wins a Stanley Cup he deserves every bit of respect that the rest of the team gets. The coach's job is to try to win games, and if that means Dutch Gretzky is lacing them up then let's go

i have a better chance of winning the lotto max and 649 - without buying tickets, than anyone being able to say "Dale Weise Stanley cup champion". 

10 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

The schtroumpf lines are back !

https://tenor.com/HvtD.gif

Speed wins

9 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

i have a better chance of winning the lotto max and 649 - without buying tickets, than anyone being able to say "Dale Weise Stanley cup champion". 

No you dont.

Habs must have 1:1000 chance of cup.

1 hour ago, DON said:

No you dont.

Habs must have 1:1000 chance of cup.

Sounds kind of like this - though I like his chances better than the habs.

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

There is a less than Zero chance the tatar - danault - gallager trio is broken up before this series starts, so any lineup that doesnt have them together is a non-starter for julien

I was always aware that the lineup I suggested  won’t be the lineup. It’s just the manner in which I would configure things. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 10:51 PM, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I couldn’t agree more. Weise should have no place on this team during the play in. Period! With that said, what a breath of fresh air to hear that Kotkaniemi looks better on his skates and a reminder that usually it takes a year post OP to feel normal again after knee surgery. Obviously it wasn’t a reconstruction but nonetheless it takes time... He’s only 20.

The real question for me is not if Domi plays but where he plays. I see him moving to wing opening up a spot for KK to get some playoff experience and th either question is it Evans or Poehling at 4C? Between Lehkonan and Weal?

KK could certainly use some PLAY-IN experience, and may even playoff experience in the next round  ... get what you are saying as this play-in round will have a playoff-like feel as it is "best of", win or go home ... but I refuse to associate the term "playoff" to these games as it feeds the narrative that the Habs "made" the playoffs this season 

Why should we care that there would even be a narrative that the Habs made the playoffs this year? Nobody out there truly thinks they earned this opportunity in normal fashion. 

Even if this were a narrative, as Habs fans we should be happy that they are in this position. 

It’s not like fans are going to start buying more merchandise, or Bergevin and Julien’s jobs will be saved just because we are in a play-in series. They weren’t going anywhere regardless. 

Us not buying into a narrative also won’t make the GM sign free agents he wouldn’t have otherwise.

The Habs didn’t earn, and still haven’t earned a playoff spot yet this year. With that being said, why not let someone who mistakenly calls these games against the Penguins a playoff round enjoy themselves with the thought that the Habs have some competitive games ahead of them? Acting as though the Habs aren’t deserving is stating the obvious, but also a very negative outlook that leads nowhere anyway.

If the Habs do well, and it has some type of ripple effect, it will be a positive anyway.

I swear there will still be Habs fans who will say we suck and that people should be fired even if we were to win this cup this year... Because the win will have an asterix associated with it 🙄

• Like 1

I agree that we should be excited to see the Habs in the "playoffs," or "playins," or whatever the hell we want to call this bizarre configuration. They're in the mix even though it wasn't earned, and that's really just fine by me. If they do some damage, then that's great - you take what you're given and make the most of it, and no apologies should be needed if and when you do so. If by some miracle the Habs win the Cup, I will have no time at all for the "asterisk" crowd.

I think what is informing GHT's post is a frustration common to those of us who are tired of Habs mediocrity, i.e., that a huge chunk of the fan base seems to have completely given up on the demand or expectation that the Habs excel. Instead, they go cowabunga with enthusiasm over a team that misses the playoffs (2019) and buy uncritically into magical thinking about how we're going to contend "in just a few years now." And it is far from implausible to think that "making the playoffs in 2020" will indeed become part of the Bergevin spin cycle. I can almost hear him in 2021: "you look at it, we got playoff games last year, this year we're only a few points out and had a lot of injuries...our young players made good progress. Winning in this league, it's tough, but I like the direction we're going." And a huge portion of fans will lap it up.

• Like 1

I appreciate the response but it’s really far fetched to claim that Bergevin will try to brainwash fans with what you quoted, should the Habs lose to the Penguins in 3,4, or even 5 games. 

Should that happen, in two months people will not be thinking “The Habs made the play-in games”  they will be thinking “The Habs missed the playoffs again”.

Should we beat the Penguins and make the playoffs, then any mention of playoffs from there on out is fair game and our team will have earned it.

I’ve been on record saying we are the underdogs against the Penguins. What that means is that our team isn’t as good as theirs. That’s fair. 

With that being said, at this point no games have been played. If we win against the Penguins and proceed to play well in further rounds, that will have actually happened. At that point Bergevin will be allowed to talk about how we played well.

This will not excuse him if he does nothing to improve our team in the off season. 

It seems the rules are being made up before anything happens. He’s not going to be allowed to say positive things even if we do well from here on out because the reeeeal regular season was abysmal. 

38 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I appreciate the response but it’s really far fetched to claim that Bergevin will try to brainwash fans with what you quoted, should the Habs lose to the Penguins in 3,4, or even 5 games. 

Should that happen, in two months people will not be thinking “The Habs made the play-in games”  they will be thinking “The Habs missed the playoffs again”.

Should we beat the Penguins and make the playoffs, then any mention of playoffs from there on out is fair game and our team will have earned it.

I’ve been on record saying we are the underdogs against the Penguins. What that means is that our team isn’t as good as theirs. That’s fair. 

With that being said, at this point no games have been played. If we win against the Penguins and proceed to play well in further rounds, that will have actually happened. At that point Bergevin will be allowed to talk about how we played well.

This will not excuse him if he does nothing to improve our team in the off season. 

It seems the rules are being made up before anything happens. He’s not going to be allowed to say positive things even if we do well from here on out because the reeeeal regular season was abysmal. 

No, no, I was imagining him spinning an unsuccessful 2020-21 partly by referencing the 2020 post-season. If the team has success in this post-season, then that definitely will be a good thing, a real achievement to build on as a franchise. (Whether we succeed in building on it will be a whole other question, naturally).

If I had to guess, I would predict that the Habs will put in a good showing while losing to the Pens. Let's say we take them to five games and lose, or even lose in four close-fought games. The "rah-rah" crowd will enthuse about how we "almost" beat the Pens and how this shows that glory is "just around the corner."  And I guarantee you MB will milk that for as long as he possibly can, big time. "We saw how well we played against Pittsburgh...a bounce or two and anything can happen...I like the direction." But as for me, please don't expect me to be out there waving pom-poms after yet another defeat.

I have been asking for a pp that has someone doing a one timer in that spot since chucky left.

Weber at the left point and that one timer in the right circle will mean the opponent cant focus on one threat.

My body is ready.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No, no, I was imagining him spinning an unsuccessful 2020-21 .

(Whether we succeed in building on it will be a whole other question

The "rah-rah" crowd will enthuse about how we "almost" beat the Pens 

MB will milk that for as long as he possibly can, big time.

please don't expect me to be out there waving pom-poms after yet another defeat.

Just a ray of sunshine.

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

I have been asking for a pp that has someone doing a one timer in that spot since chucky left.

Weber at the left point and that one timer in the right circle will mean the opponent cant focus on one threat.

My body is ready.

A KK who has turned the corner and is ready to step up as an impact player would make a huge difference to this organization. Let’s hope.

40 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

A KK who has turned the corner and is ready to step up as an impact player would make a huge difference to this organization. Let’s hope.

It’s not Price, Weber and Gallagher that are going to determine success in the future. The habs turnaround Ais going to depend a lot on how Suzuki, KK, Romanov progress (Solid progression by Juulson, Brook, Mete would be a bonus) and if Caufield is as good In the NHL in the following season.  what would help even more is winning the lottery!

For now it sounds like KK is faster, stronger and has worked on his shot - which is a great sign.  Hopefully he gets some confidence in the play in and that translates into a break out year next seaaon.

Bourne, The Athletic; (like most) thinks safe to say that the Habs will be in lottery for the great french hope.

I think have slim chance vs Pitt; but, would love to see big upset.

"But boy, there are some legit threats beyond that. My favorites of the teams in the play-in?

Pittsburgh Penguins

Have you forgotten just how good this group looks when healthy? They got crushed by injuries and still had the league’s seventh-best record at the pause. It’s Sid and Geno, of course, but it’s a healthy Kris Letang, with healthy supporting capital-p Players like Jake Guentzel and Patric Hornqvist. They’ve got quality depth, and two goalies capable of getting hot. I think having a three-game series against the Canadiens (wink-wink) as a warmup is gonna see them come into the “first” round like gangbusters. Who’d want to draw them? Who would you pick as an easy favorite over them?"

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

Drouin - Suzuki - Armia

Byron - KK - Lehkonen

Hudon - Poehling - Evans

Chiarot - Weber

Kulak - Petry

Mete - Fleury

If Domi plays..

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

Drouin - Suzuki - Armia

Domi - KK - Lehkonen

Hudon - Poehling - Byron

Looking at this objectively, I can see the argument for moving Domi in exchange for quality assets that fit team needs, he was incredibly difficult to place in a position, he could succeed in the line up, if Suzuki and KK have indeed taken their next steps, respectively. And even still, I am not sure he would be thrilled about being out of the top 6, we are going to have to ponder long and hard on that situation as an organization going forward.

Arpon Basu and Marc Andre Godin in their podcast for the Athletic think that it's highly likely Domi joins the team in the next 4-5 days. 

They also think its a good chance he gets moved to wing with how well KK is playing and Byron ends up on the fourth line. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Arpon Basu and Marc Andre Godin in their podcast for the Athletic think that it's highly likely Domi joins the team in the next 4-5 days. 

They also think its a good chance he gets moved to wing with how well KK is playing and Byron ends up on the fourth line. 

Think that would be the best decision ... but somewhat concerned by how Max will react ... he seemed upset when he was briefly moved to wing earlier "this" season ...