Shea Weber's statement

Meh, they are hockey players.

I give em credit for speaking out but most of these guys only have a high school education (especially a whler like shea).

I dont worry if he isnt eloquent and gets some help from a PR person, as long as his heart is in the right place.

Also Kevin Weekes was on the 2 man advantage podcast (pierre lebrun via The Athletic) and he said there were a few NHLers who have done a lot money wise and support wise for the black community who dont push for their work to be publicized but have done great things.  He named Sidney Crosby and a few others.  One of the players was Shea Weber.  So when it comes to things like this, I'm an actions speak louder than words kind of person and Kevin Weekes says that Weber's actions speak loud and clear, so I'm more than willing to accept that. 

• Upvote 1

From all of the NHL’ers who have tweeted or spoken out, I was most impressed by Braden Holtby.  Not the kind of eloquence and stance hockey players are known for when it comes to social/political  matters.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Personally I can't stand Trump but is it wrong to say the rioters who  burned and looted buildings are wrong? 

What's wrong is drawing an equivalence between murder by police brutality, and the damaging of private property.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Hes a maga hat wearing full throated trumpanzee 

That's a pity. Didn't know that. 🙁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Personally I can't stand Trump but is it wrong to say the rioters who  burned and looted buildings are wrong? 

Im not going to get too political here as this is a hockey message board, so Im going to refrain from going down this road.

18 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What's wrong is drawing an equivalence between murder by police brutality, and the damaging of private property.

That's a pity. Didn't know that. 🙁

Agree there is no equivalence,  what happened to George Floyd was despicable\tragic  and systemic racism must be rooted out. Perhaps I was just trying to look at it from Jack Poehling's  point of view as I believe he lives in Minnesota. If it happened in our state/city/province then we would likely  be less forgiving of those that committed vandalism and destroyed buildings.  

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah. The rioting is bad, and I disapprove of it. But it's only a tiny percentage of the protestors. And It's nowhere near the same thing as the cold-blooded murder of a helpless, unarmed, handcuffed man.

And I think that's as far as I'll wade into this debate on HW. (And Poehling may want to learn to keep quiet in the future, too, and stick to playing hockey.)

I don’t see what’s wrong in getting political debates on a hockey forum when quite a few of the players are doing so

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t see what’s wrong in getting political debates on a hockey forum when quite a few of the players are doing so

I'm not stopping you. I just said that I don't want to get into it myself.

20 hours ago, nhfarber said:

image.png

He is not  very good at expressing himself on this topic on social media. But I cannot find any fault with him: staying quiet is way worse.

He'll gain maturity and hopefully he will also perform great on the ice.

#RememberGeorgeFloyd

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He is not  very good at expressing himself on this topic on social media.

The text in the original tweet is admittedly his brother's, he only retweeted it (and also retweeted the Trump ones).

16 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The text in the original tweet is admittedly his brother's, he only retweeted it (and also retweeted the Trump ones).

thanks, I had not paid attention.

I am still debating whether to go to the Ottawa rally or not. I don't feel like being in self isolation from my family for two weeks  when I come back after the march. 

But I feel that it is so important to participate. #DontKnowWhatToDo

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I don't feel like being in self isolation from my family for two weeks...   

BUT, maybe your family is more than good with that.:devil:

Just kidding; but, good on you if you do opt to go.:clap:

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He is not  very good at expressing himself on this topic on social media. But I cannot find any fault with him: staying quiet is way worse.

He'll gain maturity and hopefully he will also perform great on the ice.

#RememberGeorgeFloyd

What’s the old saying -  “It’s better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than speak and remove all doubt.”

25 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

What’s the old saying -  “It’s better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than speak and remove all doubt.”

I should shut up more often :)  

1 hour ago, DON said:

BUT, maybe your family is more than good with that.:devil:

Just kidding; but, good on you if you do opt to go.:clap:

With the in-laws at home today, I caved in and didn't go. I will probably regret it. My father in-law has diabetes and at risk and I would hate to put him in danger.

My family was all for it though 

That Ahmaud Arbery video is just another example of craziness by Good ol Boys doing what they do and videoing it themselves, so they can proudly replay it...I assume?