HOSSA TRADED TO NYR!!!

Habby1197

This trade was all about getting something for a guy that the Habs were going to lose anyway. There's no way he clears waivers, not with teams like the Leafs out there starving for prospects...Hossa reminds me a lot of Zubrus...tons of talent, maybe not enough hockey sense to do anything with it. As for Murray, he was a highly touted prospect for a while, seems to be destined to life on the 4th line, a la Jason Ward.

[Edited on 2005/9/30 by hankhab]

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by beckham

I can't see how this deal means anything as far as Latendresse is concerned. He is going back to juniors and that will be better for him and the team.

The deal was made to make room for either Perezhogin or Latendresse (if we take for granted that the team will have 2 goalies, 7 d-man, and 14 forwards -of which a goon, Plekanec, Higgings, Dags and the regular vets will be part).

In my sense, the fact that Hossa was traded preseason is because of an immediate need (otherwise I don't think they would have traded Hossa preseason at discount). Latendresse brings something immediately that the team is otherwise lacking, being rough play by a talented forward. This is why Hossa was traded prior to season's start....so that that gap can be filled this year. Hossa's value would have gone up with a decent year, they could have traded him mid year for more. Perezhogin doesn't fill an immediate need, Latendresse does.

I agree we needed to make up what we owed to be even with the Rangers... its a cool thing to do from one original six to another you dont mess around (this is what sets us apart from other teams and Gm's from both teams know it.

There can't be any other reason fro trading Hossa than to make room for Perez and Latendresse... We want to make Kovalev happy too Bonk already has Bulis.

The question is do we need an enforcer or we keep both Perez and Latendresse... both players were safe anyways even if we didnt keep either.. so I think Gainey saw that with the new rules we need speed and we need presence in front of the net with someone with soft hands

Originally posted by Rooster
Originally posted by beckham

I can't see how this deal means anything as far as Latendresse is concerned. He is going back to juniors and that will be better for him and the team.

The deal was made to make room for either Perezhogin or Latendresse (if we take for granted that the team will have 2 goalies, 7 d-man, and 14 forwards -of which a goon, Plekanec, Higgings, Dags and the regular vets will be part).

In my sense, the fact that Hossa was traded preseason is because of an immediate need (otherwise I don't think they would have traded Hossa preseason at discount). Latendresse brings something immediately that the team is otherwise lacking, being rough play by a talented forward. This is why Hossa was traded prior to season's start....so that that gap can be filled this year. Hossa's value would have gone up with a decent year, they could have traded him mid year for more. Perezhogin doesn't fill an immediate need, Latendresse does.

BTW, I also think that sending Latendresse back to juniors is what's best for his development and the team (especially if keeping him now means dealing a prospect at discount), but making room for him this year is by far the most probable conclusion I can draw from today's trade for the above reasons.

I think Perezhogin needs the spot more than Latandresse, honestly. Perezhogin has played well in the RSL, and he's ready to make the step. As much as I'd love to have both Latandresse and Perezhogin, I know it can't happen, and for the future of the team, I think it's better to have Alexander start this season with the big club and give Latandresse another season in the Q to mature a bit more physically. He'll be on such a high from his preseason that he'll tear up the Q, and then next season there will be no stopping his reign in the NHL. Plus, it'll give him a shot to win a Calder.

Hey bg would have probably lost Hossa on waivers so you get the deal you can something is better than nothing. I will be interested to sewe how this guy does in the future. lets be honest Hossa was not goin to make the team, do you really care if he plays in hamilton? I only care that we have the best team in Montreal that we can have.

Originally posted by CoRvInA

I agree we needed to make up what we owed to be even with the Rangers... its a cool thing to do from one original six to another you dont mess around (this is what sets us apart from other teams and Gm's from both teams know it.

There can't be any other reason fro trading Hossa than to make room for Perez and Latendresse... We want to make Kovalev happy too Bonk already has Bulis.

The question is do we need an enforcer or we keep both Perez and Latendresse... both players were safe anyways even if we didnt keep either.. so I think Gainey saw that with the new rules we need speed and we need presence in front of the net with someone with soft hands

What did the Habs owe to the Rangers? They accepted a trade proposal of a later 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick for an earlier 2nd round pick. That's it. Do we owe them anything for failing to properly evaluate Latendresse? I think not!

No offence meant to the poster, just thought this prediction was kinda funny, only because of how quickly things changed, I have to say, this morning I probably would have said the same... just going back through some discussions from earlier today and ... talk about foresight...

Originally posted by PB

Media's related ineptitude and gainey's traditional oblique type discourse gives the reader a bit of a challenge as to what Gainey is actually saying and meaning....and my take on this foggy piece of information is that...yes, Gainey doesnt feel like not using Latendresse this year.........and also that, Hossa as nothing to do with this week-end decision about Latendresse.

Insightful. But apparently Hossa had alot to do with this weekends decisions...

Bye Bye Mr. over rated !!!

Hossa was only playing hard because it was is last chance.

This guy as no heart and no consistency. Apparently he played a horrible game in Moncton on Wednesday night...back to is usual self!!!

He was the least reliable player. On the radio today, they said that the Habs management never gad a very good opinion about him and that its no surprise that he got traded. They also mentionned that he did the same last year i Europe, starting out great and fading away after a while...back to its usual self!!!

The only thing that agree is that we, in normal circonstances, could have gotten more in return, but with being so close to October 5th, Bob got what he could in return.

Now that means that Perezhogin will be sent down and that Latendresse will make the team. Julien did mention that the fact that they play many games in the tough division will impact the selection of the team. Latendresse is the meanest player we've had in god knows how long and I think we would be there with him instead of Perezhogin. I don't buy that crap about he's earned a shot bla bla bla...I want to see the best team possible and if Latendresse makes us better then him, sorry but minors is where he belongs. Injuries will happen and he will be the first one called up.

I just got tickets for Sunday's game :) Should be a good one since its the last before season STARTS !!!

:hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo:

Many seems to have big tought about Hossa. Why? He sure was an interesting prospect and is ready for the NHL.

But couldn't the same thing be said about Murray?

Hossa played with Mora IK last year in Swedish Elitserien. He played 48 games and got 24 points. Remember that he played on the first line with his older brother Marian who scored 32 points in 24 games.

Later that season Marian played in the Czech Republic and Marcel Hossa was on a line with Dan Cleary and Shawn Horcoff.

Horcoff had 46 points in 50 games and Cleary had 37 but one less game played.

Gainey hasn't trade a star. He's traded a propect for another who's one year younger and to make room for better players.

I think room was made more for Perezhogin than Latendresse. Think about it. Can they really send Perezhogin back to the AHL and Hamilton after that fiasco that happened last year? Besides Latendresse is just too young and he doesn't have to be rushed. Why rush him? Many young prospects have been ruined by making them play in the NHL too early. It's not like the Habs are despearate to fill roster spots. Given this and Perezhogin's situation I'd say that Perezhogin is going to be staying.

Originally posted by Mark Napier

I think room was made more for Perezhogin than Latendresse. Think about it. Can they really send Perezhogin back to the AHL and Hamilton after that fiasco that happened last year? Besides Latendresse is just too young and he doesn't have to be rushed. Why rush him? Many young prospects have been ruined by making them play in the NHL too early. It's not like the Habs are despearate to fill roster spots. Given this and Perezhogin's situation I'd say that Perezhogin is going to be staying.

Who cares how old Latendresse is. So far he's done everything right, and outplayed prospect who are years older then him. Age should not matter, the only thing that should matter is playing ability. Its Bob Gaineys job to ice the best possible team he can.

Latendress is exactly what the habs need, and what we've needed for years.

Rushing a player who ISNT READY can mess up his development. But from everything that Latendresse has showed us so far, he is ready. Look at Bergeron 2 years ago, it was the exact same situation as Latendresse, he was actually picked at the exact same point in the draft is GL... From the same league, and he made a smooth jump to the NHL in his draft year at 18 years old. It can happen.

I'd be very disappointed if Latendresse gets cut after we traded Hossa.

What did the Habs owe to the Rangers? They accepted a trade proposal of a later 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick for an earlier 2nd round pick. That's it. Do we owe them anything for failing to properly evaluate Latendresse? I think not!

And the future considerations on Kovalev's deal? Couldnt that be a maybe? and why out of all 29 teams pick the rangers? Maybeeee as a sign of thanks... maybeee...

Dont be so quick to negate ponder and digest a little before...

unless u obviously can't then ... all the best to ya ;)

Here's an idea. Might Garth Murray be considered a potential 'enforcer' for the Canadiens somewhere down the line?

Here's his stats for the last year in Hartford:

The numbers are: games played|goals|assists|points|+/-|penalty minutes.

2004-05 Hartford AHL 55 4 5 9 0 182

His stats for the year before are very similar.

Although those numbers don't compare (in amount) to Vandermeer or Ivanans, they are very similar to Darren Langdon's.

TSN.ca's players section says this about him:

"Is a tenacious forechecker and sound defensive forward. Owns grit and aggression, which he displays all over the ice. Can play any forward position."

Gainey may see this in him. He's still very young, could be trained and guided and become a solid role player for the team.

Originally posted by puck7x

Who cares how old Latendresse is. So far he's done everything right, and outplayed prospect who are years older then him. Age should not matter, the only thing that should matter is playing ability. Its Bob Gaineys job to ice the best possible team he can.

Latendress is exactly what the habs need, and what we've needed for years.

Rushing a player who ISNT READY can mess up his development. But from everything that Latendresse has showed us so far, he is ready. Look at Bergeron 2 years ago, it was the exact same situation as Latendresse, he was actually picked at the exact same point in the draft is GL... From the same league, and he made a smooth jump to the NHL in his draft year at 18 years old. It can happen.

I'd be very disappointed if Latendresse gets cut after we traded Hossa.

Can you really base your opinion of Latendresse on a handful of preason games? He could find himself in a whole different situation when the real season starts with teams loaded with their vet players. Too soon to say he's the next coming before we see the real games. I'd prefer that he had another year in junior and then one on the farm. And so what do you do with Perezhogin? Would you put him back in that bad situation in Hamilton? That might be worse for him than rushing Latendresse would be.

Originally posted by Mark Napier

Can you really base your opinion of Latendresse on a handful of preason games? He could find himself in a whole different situation when the real season starts with teams loaded with their vet players. Too soon to say he's the next coming before we see the real games. I'd prefer that he had another year in junior and then one on the farm. And so what do you do with Perezhogin? Would you put him back in that bad situation in Hamilton? That might be worse for him than rushing Latendresse would be.

What else am I or the habs brass supposed to base their opinions on? Of course he "could" struggle when the real season begins, but as of right now he hasnt given us any reason to think that he will. He's progressed at a great pace, he's adapted his game to eahc new level, and not looked out of place. From the World Juniors camp (best player) , to habs rookie camp (best player) , to the rookie tourny (top habs player) , to habs training camp (one of our top players) , to the exhibition games (one of our top players).

Sure its a risk, but its a smart one, and one we should take.

get him to become like Begin or Even MAtt Cook!!! yeahhhh

Yes, that would be nice,

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

If Hossa was about future consideration on the Kovalev deal, such would have been mentionned.....and Murray wouln't be part of the deal. As for signs of thanks, none was needed as no favours were given. Latendresse was there for all to pick until selection number 45, the Rangers accepted the draft day trade cause they already had an earlier 2nd round pick. Anyways, the Habs in no circumstances lowballed the Rangers....what kind of businessman gives back to a competitor cause he feels bad about fairly getting the best of a deal? maybe lacroix should feel bad too and further compensate the habs for screwing us up on the Roy trade?

Dont be so quick to negate ponder and digest a little before...

unless u obviously can't then ... all the best to ya ;)

I don't even know what the heck your talking about hommie.

[Edited on 2005/9/30 by Rooster]

I have no problem with taking the risk as long as he can be returned to his junior team if he is overwhelmed by the pace or regular season NHL play. I don't want to see such a promising young player languish in Montreal losing confidence daily because he is not playing up to everyone's expectations. This has destroyed many a promising player and that is something I don't relish the thought of.

I agree with puck7x but I'll have to say that I hope that Gainey takes this decission with Latendresse. Maybe he want's to play World Juniors?

When did the Habs had a player on the team the same years as the draft?

And if Latendresse will stay. Is it not possible to send him to Hamilton if things aren't working out? And if he's in Hamltion will he not be able to play at the World Juniors?

Originally posted by puck7x

He's certainly mature enough and has the size, but the NHL is very unforgiving to young players. Look at Thornton? His first few years were a disaster. Everyone took runs at him and he spent most of the time hurt. I think Perezhogin is the right choice for the team. He's actually played pro hockey before, and Latandresse is unproven when the puck drops for real. I just don't wanna see the kid get hurt and hamper his development.

Sorry, I trried to post this before but it seems to have vanished, so excuse any duplication:

Here's what i don't get. If Hossa was a dodgy prospect (and based on his erratic career so far, I think that's true), then why was he offered a one-way contract in the first place? Explanations---?!?

As for Latendresse, everybody cool it, one good camp proves absolutely nothing.