HOSSA TRADED TO NYR!!!

Habby1197

I thought we could have used Hossa in a package deal to get an interesting player. It's sure we were going to lose Hossa since he cannot go to Hamilton without having to clear waivers.

So there's more chance to see Latendresse in Montreal ! :o

BTW, will we see a Rangers line of Hossa - Ward - Balej ? lmao

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess, they are planning to use Latendresse on the third line.

They need to have 2 guys from that line for KP (Bulis, Bonk) and 2 additionnel PK players on the fourth line.

Hossa thought, was really one of the better player during the pre-saison games,...yet I always thought a little strange that Julien was never complimenting him to the extent that he deserved.......did they see something else behind his good performance ?......was their mind set on letting him go since the beginning ? I really thought seing him in all those games that he would make the CH a better team than without him, specially if replacing Sundstrom.......bummer for now, thats for shure.

[Edited on 2005/9/30 by PB]

I think this trade is fair.

It fair to Hossa. Obviously he had Plekanec before him who had to clear waviers. And Higgins, Latendresse and maybe even Perezhogin are ready. Where would they play Hossa?

In New York Hossa gets a fresh start and I wish him good luck.

I'd say it's a fair trade. I don't know much about Murray more than that he is one year younger than Hossa and that Hossa still hasn't proved anything yet. Maybe this deal will work in our favour. How knows? Hossa wasn't going to play anyway as it seems.

Wow, I don't feel good about this at all.

This is gonna look real bad if Josef Balej and Marcel Hossa light it up with the Rangers.

I can't believe they didn't get a draft pick as well...I just have this bad feeling that this was Marcels year...I soooo hope that I am wrong.....

On the other hand, Guillaume Latendresse just made the team, I guess Bob Gainey believes in Guillaume

IN GUILLAUME WE TRUST!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited on 2005/9/30 by kaos]

Originally posted by beckham

This deal has nothing to do with Latendresse. The team was 4 or 5 players over the limit, and I still think that Vandermeer, Higgins, Plekanec and probably Perezhogin are still ahead of Latendresse.

We're 3 players over the limit now.

One of Vandy/Ivanans will be cut. That drops us to 25

One of Streit/Hainsey will be cut. That drops us to 24

To get to 23 we need to make a big decision. We could send Perezhogin back to the AHL (no waivers for him) , we could send Latendresse back to juniors. We could trade someone like Dags or Sunny. Or we could send both goons down to the farm (unlikely since Vandy has a one-way deal).

Whats with the Rags picking up failed habs prospects? Balej, Ward now Hossa.

Not big on this. Murray sounds like a decent checker but Hossa has alot of talent. It's a gamble, but so is every trade. However this team is so deep with youth that it wouldn't hurt, inless Marcel turns into Marian II.

GL offically on the team? Not gonna complain.

If I had to choose between GL, Plekanec, Perezhogin, Higgins and Hossa not making the team, I'll take Marcel.

[Edited on 2005/9/30 by Leafs Suck]

This deal is all about making room for Latendresse. If we take for granted that a goon, Higgins and Plekanec are on the team......this deal is either about Perezhogin or Latendresse. Don't think Hossa was traded over Perezhogin. He was traded so that Latendresse's rough play can be part of the Habs this season.

Well to simplify this further I'd say that the lone unknown player that's going to be cut is either Latendresse or Perezhogin unless there is a trade but I don't see a trade happening. The guys you suggested, Dags and Sunny, are unlikely because Dags is lighting it up and the coaching staff loves Sunny. So it's Latendresse or Perehogin gone and I would bet Perezhogin gets a shot and Latendresse goes back to the juniors.

Originally posted by Mark Napier

Well to simplify this further I'd say that the lone unknown player that's going to be cut is either Latendresse or Perezhogin unless there is a trade but I don't see a trade happening. The guys you suggested, Dags and Sunny, are unlikely because Dags is lighting it up and the coaching staff loves Sunny. So it's Latendresse or Perehogin gone and I would bet Perezhogin gets a shot and Latendresse goes back to the juniors.

Hossa was also lighting it up like Dags, but that didnt stop him from being traded. You just never know. I'd be very surprised to see Latendresse sent down after trading Hossa. Why trade away a player who provided a need for your team (Size, Strenght) without replacing him. Hossa was going to be a big strong player who could win battles in the corners for the habs, why trade him if we're not going to keep Latendresse? I dunno.

Originally posted by Le démon brun

It's sad we only got a career AHLer for Hossa, a player who could become a 25 goal scorer this year.

I wouldnt call Garth Murray a career AHL, not at all. 2 years ago people were calling M.Ryder that, actually it wasnt career "AHL'er" it was career minor leaguer, since he spent some time in the ECHL before his big year with the dogs.

Murray has potential, Murray has captain-like qualities according to alot of Ranger fans. I wont lie, yes we lost this trade based on potential, Marcel could become a 20-30 goal scorer. But dont write off Murray, he's got size, grit, and lots of heart. He's a good skater with some scoring ability. He could fit very well onto our 3rd or 4th lines in a year or two when we have the space.

Gainey isnt a dummy, he's not going to acquire a player before extensively researching him.

Here are the goods on Murray

Garth Murray #28 C/LW

NY Rangers

DOB: Sep 17, 1982

Place of Birth: Regina, Sask., Canada

HT: 6-1 WT: 205

Shoots: L

NHL Seasons: 1

Drafted by NY Rangers in 2001 (3/79).

GAME-BY-GAME

CAREER STATS

NY RANGERS ROSTER

Current Status: Off Season

Year GP G A Pts +/- PIM Shots Sh% GWG GTG SHG SHA PPG PPA

Season Totals: 2003-04 20 1 0 1 -5 24 18 5.56 0 0 0 0 0 0

Scouting Report

Assets Is a tenacious forechecker and sound defensive forward. Owns grit and aggression, which he displays all over the ice. Can play any forward position.

Flaws Is an extremely limited offensive contributor. Must work extra hard just to maintain a spot in the NHL because of a lack of natural talent.

Career potential Checking line forward.

Transactions / Injuries / Suspensions

28-Sep-05: Assigned to Hartford (AHL).

18-Aug-05: Re-signed as a restricted free agent by the New York Rangers.

03-Apr-04: Assigned to Hartford (AHL).

03-Mar-04: Recalled from Hartford (AHL).

05-Feb-04: Assigned to Hartford (AHL).

29-Jan-04: Recalled from Hartford (AHL).

Trades

24-Jun-01: Drafted by the New York Rangers in the 3rd round (79th overall) in 2001.

Career Stats

Year Team League GP G A Pts +/- PIM Shots Sh%

2004-05 Hartford AHL 55 4 5 9 0 182 59 6.78

2003-04 NY Rangers NHL 20 1 0 1 -5 24 18 5.56

2003-04 Hartford AHL 63 11 11 22 +5 159 92 11.96

2002-03 Hartford AHL 64 10 14 24 +2 121 81 12.35

2001-02 Hartford AHL 4 0 0 0 -5 0 1 0.00

2001-02 Regina WHL 62 33 30 63 +21 154 - -

2000-01 Regina WHL 72 28 16 44 0 183 - -

1999-00 Regina WHL 68 14 26 40 -9 155 - -

1998-99 Regina WHL 60 3 5 8 -3 101 - -

1997-98 Regina WHL 4 0 0 0 -1 2 - -

1997-98 Calgary AMHL 56 26 34 60 - 110 - -

Total NHL 20 1 0 1 -5 24 18 5.56

Total AHL 186 25 30 55 +2 462 233 10.73

Total WHL 266 78 77 155 +8 595 - -

Total AMHL 56 26 34 60 - 110 - -

Playoff Stats

Year Team League GP G A Pts +/- PIM Shots Sh%

2004-05 Hartford AHL 5 1 0 1 0 8 6 16.67

2003-04 NY Rangers NHL - - - - - - - -

2003-04 Hartford AHL 16 0 4 4 +4 29 15 0.00

2002-03 Hartford AHL 2 0 0 0 -1 6 0 -

2001-02 Hartford AHL 9 1 3 4 +4 6 7 14.29

2001-02 Regina WHL 6 2 3 5 +2 9 - -

2000-01 Regina WHL 6 1 1 2 -2 10 - -

1999-00 Regina WHL 7 1 1 2 -4 7 - -

1998-99 Regina WHL - - - - - - - -

1997-98 Regina WHL 2 0 0 0 - 0 - -

1997-98 Calgary AMHL - - - - - - - -

Total NHL - - - - - - - -

Total AHL 32 2 7 9 +7 49 28 7.14

Total WHL 21 4 5 9 - 26 - -

Originally posted by Canajun

Garth Murray???

Is Houle back in charge again?

Canajun

Gainey know what he is doing.

He did what was best for the team. He didn't had a lot of option. He also had to follow NHL rules.

Originally posted by puck7x

Murray has potential, Murray has captain-like qualities according to alot of Ranger fans. I wont lie, yes we lost this trade based on potential, Marcel could become a 20-30 goal scorer. But dont write off Murray, he's got size, grit, and lots of heart. He's a good skater with some scoring ability. He could fit very well onto our 3rd or 4th lines in a year or two when we have the space.

Gainey isnt a dummy, he's not going to acquire a player before extensively researching him.

Couldn't agree more.

Hossa also had several opportunites to earn a full-time spot with the Habs and failed.

Habs are so loaded with prospects who deserves to be here ahead of Hossa that it makes a certain amount of sense.

GL or Hossa? After the last week, gimme GL.

Originally posted by Toren

Glen Sather is a smart man sometimes. Pick up the garbage Montreal is shedding. I think we took Edmonton's place as their the big apple's new Farm Team.

I agree with this. Montreal has to be careful not to shed assets out of necessity, (and it's at least nice to see the Rangers trying to do things right). I believe however this is exactly why Gainey made this trade, so his hand wouldn't be further forced come the beginning of the season.

I'm not that upset by this move. I guess some people are disapointed by the return but even they can't argue Montreal had too many pro roster players. There were too many guys to fill only 23 spots. Plekanec, Hossa and Dagenais, who would have to clear waivers and be lost - for nothing - are fighting for spots with, perhaps, better players like Higgins, Perezoghin, Latendresse. I think Plekanek outplayed Hossa this training camp.

The markets never that high when someones gotta go, but that aside I'm still not that upset by the return.

Hossa had a great camp but was the most suspect forward left... after all this time in the organization he was still an unknown quantity. Maybe I haven't seen enough of Garth Murray first hand, but - 23years old, two-way contract, 6'1 205, high energy, responsible defensively, and plays anywhere up front doesn't sound that bad to me.

A deal had to be done so it was, now won't it be cool to be able to keep Perezoghin, Higgins or Latandress in the lineup. I'm mean, the lack of experience in this Montreal lineup makes Sundstrom indespensible... Plus Julien loves Sunny and the vibe around the NHL already is that Montreal will have one of the best two-way 3rd lines out there with Sundstrom involved with Bulis and Bonk.

Would you trade Hossa for another, (bigger) Steve Begin, I think so...

[Edited on 30-9-05 by HaliHab]

Originally posted by puck7x

Yea, this isnt the HWL, lolz.

Anywayz, too many people are making too big a deal about this trade.

It's pretty simple, every team knows that Montreal wants to make some room, so no one's going to offer anything major when they know that they can just pick up Hossa from waivers when/should the time come.

Look at some of the other trades taking place this year...

LW Friesen for a conditional pick (2006)

LW Leclerc for a conditional Pick (2007)

G Thibault for a 4th Round pick

F Roenick for Future Considerations...

etc.

Things have changed in the new NHL, these trades were all done to make room in one form or another.

I mean, if your only getting conditional picks, 4ths, and future consideration for these good players, I think we're lucky to get Murray at all.

i didnt even know WHO was garth murray until i read the article about the trade~~~~

well well, i thought that bobby would trade a young player (hossa) but to get another defenseman~ well well... we dunno what bobby is thinking but is murray going to play with the big team???? i dunt think so~ oh well~~~ we'll see on monday who's going to stay in montreal~ since the coach said that he'll prolly get his final lineup by next monday

I think Latendresse is officially on the team with this latest move by BG. Now we have to see who will take the fall, personally i think it's going to be Perez being sent to Hamilton. Sunny is here to stay, the only other option is trading Dags but i just don't see that happeneing.

Not a big fan of the move, but if it allows Latendresse to make the team than I'm all for it.