Streit to begin season with the Habs?

Tony_

Just heard it on RDS.

He should begin the season with the Habs. Apparently he has some sort of clause in his contract that permits him to play 30 NHL games with the Habs.

Looks like Hainsey really should pick up his game if he wants the 7th d-man spot.

I'm guessing the Habs wanted to sign him, he said he'd only come over to NA for a one-way deal.

BG said 2-way deal.

Given how much faith the Habs have in Hainsey, they ended up with a compromise... sign a 2-way deal BUT we'll guarantee that you get a fair shake by putting it in the contract that you must play 30 NHL games.

It makes sense... I can see how they came to that arrangement.

Again, he could spend the whole 1st half of the year in Hamilton... then we make a trade to make room and call him up.

Or there's an injury and he gets a good part of his 30 games that way.

I don't know exactly what this clause means in terms of what we'll do with him...

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

He is a late Gainey draft choice so this does not surprise me. Obviously B.G. sees something that I am missing.

Amen to that one, Howie.

:ghg::hlogo::ghg:

On Swiss TV, Streit said that he thinks he has a good chance to start the season in Montreal although he doesn't really know what Julien thinks. Julien doesn't talk much to him so he gets most of his news from the media.

the 30 game clause was never mention in any Swiss media

Originally posted by Tony

Heard the piece again on RDS and Mark Streit has a clause in his contract stipulating he is guaranteed to play 30 NHL games with the Habs this season.

I think that means if he is sent to Hamilton he still gets NHL pay for at least 30 games, a sort of conditional two-way contract with a 30 game clause. I can't imagine a contract wherein he HAS to actually play a certain number of games -- I mean what if he's terrible or he's injured, Julien still has to dress him?

It must be about money, the 30 games thing.