Max Domi Re-Joins the Habs Training Camp

Commandant

Apparently skating (Today) as the 5C

But is rotating on the 2nd unit PP

12 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

If I were him, I would stay home and worry about his health. If he gets sick with covid19 it will hit him harder because he is type 2 Diabetic. I wouldn't chance it. 

Max is type 1 diabetic which means it was innate. I don’t think there’s a worse in this case between type 1 and type 2 as they’re both compromising immune systems.

With that being said, the only people I’ve seen say things along the lines of what you have said here are generally those who are pessimistic about the Habs. I am not saying we should be wearing rose colored glasses (my prediction would be Pens in 4, though I really want to be wrong) but anyone who says what you are saying already thinks the Habs are out.

I can’t take the comment that he should stay home even though he has been cleared to play seriously. 

There have been multiple teams (Luke Kenin on Minny) who have cleared diabetics to play and so I will have to say that those who are saying he should stay home are wrong.

For what it is worth, I care about his health more than the team’s success, and I have someone very close to me who is on dialysis due to type 2 diabetes, and I still feel that way.

We just have to hope it is indeed as safe as the doctors are presumably saying, and that Max is 100% following the best medical advice. If he is not, then he shouldn't be there.

Assuming that this is indeed a case of following sound medical practice, as opposed to just another hockey player acting like an idiot because he wants to play, then it's a welcome development for sure. Domi's chippy game seems admirably suited to the playoffs, and he's such a competitor that it's a real shame he hasn't yet been able to participate in the post-season in his young career. Plus, the Habs really, really need some depth at C beyond the unproven duo of Suzuki and KK if they want to have a chance against Crosby-Malkin. Assuming Crosby plays, natch.

16 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Max is type 1 diabetic which means it was innate. I don’t think there’s a worse in this case between type 1 and type 2 as they’re both compromising immune systems.

With that being said, the only people I’ve seen say things along the lines of what you have said here are generally those who are pessimistic about the Habs. I am not saying we should be wearing rose colored glasses (my prediction would be Pens in 4, though I really want to be wrong) but anyone who says what you are saying already thinks the Habs are out.

I can’t take the comment that he should stay home even though he has been cleared to play seriously. 

There have been multiple teams (Luke Kenin on Minny) who have cleared diabetics to play and so I will have to say that those who are saying he should stay home are wrong.

For what it is worth, I care about his health more than the team’s success, and I have someone very close to me who is on dialysis due to type 2 diabetes, and I still feel that way.

In fairness to Habsfan89, I think it is just their individual opinion that the greater threat of serious complications should Max be infected does not warrant the risk ... that Domi was cleared to play does not change that greater threat, really it means that the NHL/team doctors have decided that the risk of becoming infected are no worse than any other player ... Max clearly faces greater of serious complications (potentially further aggravated by his also having celiac disease?) has decided to accept the risk, but Habsfan89 simply would advise he not ... simple opinion ... there is no right or wrong

I respect Max's decision to play ... would have equally respected his deciding not to play ... we each assume responsibility for our own lives

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

And he is playing centre! Oh the suspense on line combination goes through the roof

giphy.gif 

Agreed ... assuming Danault will play (rumoured the separate training group is focused primarily on conditioning), IMO Domi's role depends on how well KK plays ... if he continues to impress then Domi plays LW beside him ... if KK falters as camp goes on the Max may be the 3C and KK may sit or fill the 3LW slot

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

In fairness to Habsfan89, I think it is just their individual opinion that the greater threat of serious complications should Max be infected does not warrant the risk ... that Domi was cleared to play does not change that greater threat, really it means that the NHL/team doctors have decided that the risk of becoming infected are no worse than any other player ... Max clearly faces greater of serious complications (potentially further aggravated by his also having celiac disease?) has decided to accept the risk, but Habsfan89 simply would advise he not ... simple opinion ... there is no right or wrong

I respect Max's decision to play ... would have equally respected his deciding not to play ... we each assume responsibility for our own lives

I totally respect the fact he wants to play knowing the risk is higher with him. He needs to have total trust in players that they will be honest and not try to leave the bubble. We're already hearing in the NBA that players are taking the risk and leaving their bubble.

I don't think anyone would think any different about him if he didn't want to play. Guess you just got to hope for the best for these guys that they stay safe. 

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

If I were him, I would stay home and worry about his health. If he gets sick with covid19 it will hit him harder because he is type 2 Diabetic. I wouldn't chance it. 

1) Its his decision.  I support either choice he makes.

2) He's type 1 (not sure that makes a difference in this case). 

3) He's also 24 years old and in tremendous physical shape.  His blood sugar levels have been extremely well controlled for years as an athlete, far better than the average type 1.  Its not the fact that he is diabetic that does the damage to the body.  Its the uncontrolled blood sugar spikes and lows that do the damage.  If he is controlling his sugars and doesn't have many spikes and lows, then he has the body of a healthy 24-year-old, who is a professional athlete.  Ultimately his doctors and the team doctors know more than we do. 

24 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Agreed ... assuming Danault will play (rumoured the separate training group is focused primarily on conditioning), IMO Domi's role depends on how well KK plays ... if he continues to impress then Domi plays LW beside him ... if KK falters as camp goes on the Max may be the 3C and KK may sit or fill the 3LW slot

there is another option here.  Domi centres line 3, and KK centres line 4. 

The Habs could choose to roll 4 lines in the series. 

Given that they are playing 5 games in 8 days... and this is coming off a short training camp and one exhibition game, endurance could be an issue.  4 lines, short shifts, rolling things and playing a high paced game could be a strategy to wear an opponent into the ground.  We are in an unprecedented situation.  I wouldn't assume the fourth line is getting less than 10 minutes a night.  This could take advantage of a Conditioning factor that no doubt will effect all times. 

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

there is another option here.  Domi centres line 3, and KK centres line 4. 

The Habs could choose to roll 4 lines in the series. 

Given that they are playing 5 games in 8 days... and this is coming off a short training camp and one exhibition game, endurance could be an issue.  4 lines, short shifts, rolling things and playing a high paced game could be a strategy to wear an opponent into the ground. 

Possibility ... but I think Julien is very fond of a more "traditional" 4th line ... and also not certain the Habs have the scoring depth to make KK useful as an offensive 4C ... but time will tell

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

He actually has two auto immune issues - he’s also celiac.  I’ve got two auto immune issues and while my office is looking at a sept 8 restart, I’ve been told I probably won’t be cleared to return to the office.

do I prefer the habs losing and getting a shot at the lottery pick - yes.  Is that the reason I think Domi is better served sitting out - absolutely not.  Given his dual auto-immune conditions,  he is much higher at risk IF he contracts the virus.  At my company from 10,000 employees across Canada, USA and Europe, we’ve had a totall of 17 employees test positive for COVID (all travel and community transmissions - not at work place - since majority are non-essential and working from home like me).  How many NHL players are there- 600-900 (with the expanded lineups)?? it’s a small percentage -  less then 10% of my company’s workforce, yet there have been more players test positive.  Yes, a greater population of players (not sure if it’s 100% or not), have been tested, but a pretty high percentage tested  positive, not sure why someone with two auto immune issues would Want to come back?  Medical clearance is based on his current health and probably his willingness to take the risk and desire to play - not based on what may happen if he was to get COVID.

8 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He actually has two auto immune issues - he’s also celiac.  I’ve got two auto immune issues and while my office is looking at a sept 8 restart, I’ve been told I probably won’t be cleared to return to the office.

do I prefer the habs losing and getting a shot at the lottery pick - yes.  Is that the reason I think Domi is better served sitting out - absolutely not.  Given his dual auto-immune conditions,  he is much higher at risk IF he contracts the virus.  At my company from 10,000 employees across Canada, USA and Europe, we’ve had a oral of 17 employees test positive for COVID (all travel and community transmissions - not at work place).  How many NHL players are ther - it’s a small - less then 10% of that, yet there have been more players test positive.  Yes, a greater population of players (not sure if it’s 100% or not), have been tested, but a pretty high percentage tested  positive, not sure why someone with two auto immune issues would back?  Medical clearance is based on his current health and probably his willingness to take the risk and desire to play - not based on what may happen if he was to get COVID.

Good post, and the boldfaced part is what I'm afraid of.

That said, I do not know what criteria the docs used to give him medical clearance.

In the back of my mind is the long history of players risking their health and being allowed to do so by team doctors. I recognize that this is quite a different case from, say, concussions, but - while it's Domi's decision of course - it still seems a bit concerning to me.

26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That said, I do not know what criteria the docs used to give him medical clearance.

In the back of my mind is the long history of players risking their health and being allowed to do so by team doctors. I recognize that this is quite a different case from, say, concussions, but - while it's Domi's decision of course - it still seems a bit concerning to me.

All the doctors can do in this case is determine whether or not a player is at higher risk of getting infected ... if yes, then decide whether to clear the player ... if not, then explain to the player the risks involved should they get infected ... as the NHL&NHLPA have determined that the risk of exposure is mitigated, the approval just puts the ball in the players' court to decide whether or not to play.

Concussions is perhaps the obvious parallel, as there are greater risks associated if you are concussed again ... but with concussions (and other injuries) the problem is that players have admitted that they lie to doctors so as to be able to get back on the ice ... doctors can only make assessments based on what they know, or are told.

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Possibility ... but I think Julien is very fond of a more "traditional" 4th line ... and also not certain the Habs have the scoring depth to make KK useful as an offensive 4C ... but time will tell

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

Drouin - Suzuki- Armia

Lehkonen - Domi - Byron

Hudon - KK - Weal

That would be how I would put the lines together if I decided to roll four lines at them, and wanted some offence out of the fourth line. 

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I do think the age, the shape he is in physically, and the fact he's had his sugars monitored around the clock for years is a huge factor here.  I note that Luke Kunin and Kaapo Kakko have also been cleared.

Also team doctors had to clear him as well, and Minnesota, Montreal and the Rangers team doctors are all in agreement here on clearing them.

When it comes down to it, everyone who has tried to get back to a somewhat regular routine by going back to work have put themselves at a certain level of risk.

Habs29 if i were you, I probably would not go back to work by September 8th. Even I have contemplated what I want to do when it comes to working in the fall as I would be moving from outdoor coaching to indoor coaching. 

With that being said the most important thing to note (diabetic or not) is that once again Max is in his lower 20s. I am convinced that the doctors have taken that into consideration when it comes to assessing his worst case scenario, even though it’s been said here that they don’t do that. 

While diabetics are at a higher risk, it’s still a fact that it’s also diabetics who are elderly that are at the greatest risk. 

I hope no one out there in the NHL contracts the virus and develops severe symptoms. However it’s also probably true, without throwing out random statistics, that Domi’s chances of developing severe symptoms is only mildly higher than another 30 year old in the league. 

22 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Drouin - Suzuki- Armia

Lehkonen - Domi - Byron

Hudon - KK - Weal

That would be how I would put the lines together if I decided to roll four lines at them, and wanted some offence out of the fourth line. 

That is how it would have to be ... but don't see Hudon and Weal really offering any offensive support for KK in a "roll the lines" scenario ... and Lehkonen IMO brings little if any offence to the 3rd line ... so I would bump up KK (maybe have KK and Max play rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock for which plays centre), drop Lehkonen to 4th line and put Evans between him and Weal ...  I am tired of the brief flashes of Hudon's potential spaced out with tons of disinterested play

4 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

When it comes down to it, everyone who has tried to get back to a somewhat regular routine by going back to work have put themselves at a certain level of risk.

Habs29 if i were you, I probably would not go back to work by September 8th. Even I have contemplated what I want to do when it comes to working in the fall as I would be moving from outdoor coaching to indoor coaching. 

With that being said the most important thing to note (diabetic or not) is that once again Max is in his lower 20s. I am convinced that the doctors have taken that into consideration when it comes to assessing his worst case scenario, even though it’s been said here that they don’t do that. 

While diabetics are at a higher risk, it’s still a fact that it’s also diabetics who are elderly that are at the greatest risk. 

I hope no one out there in the NHL contracts the virus and develops severe symptoms. However it’s also probably true, without throwing out random statistics, that Domi’s chances of developing severe symptoms is only mildly higher than another 30 year old in the league. 

Don't know that anyone has said they "don't do that" ... rather that the clearances are based on the risk of catching Covid ... can't really be based on what would happen if someone catches it as even a perfectly healthy 20 year-olds could end up on a ventilator, or dead ... informing Max of their assessment of the risks of hin catching it and *** if *** he catches it informs the decision that Max had to make in terms of accepting the consequences of catching Covid

54 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Don't know that anyone has said they "don't do that" ... rather that the clearances are based on the risk of catching Covid ... can't really be based on what would happen if someone catches it as even a perfectly healthy 20 year-olds could end up on a ventilator, or dead ... informing Max of their assessment of the risks of hin catching it and *** if *** he catches it informs the decision that Max had to make in terms of accepting the consequences of catching Covid

There’s to factors here.  One is risk of catching Covid - which is greater for someone who has auti-immune issues like Celiac.  If you are taking immunosuppressant medication, your risk of contracting the virus is higher IF exposed to someone that has it.  With a weakened immune system, the chances of a bad outcome are also higher. Domi being young will help him as a diabetic who is closely monitoring his sugar levels.  However, the weakened immune system is I think puta him more at risk - particularly if is taking any immunosuppressants. as an extreme example, If you’ve known anyone who has cancer they are usually on immunosuppressants - and aw usually told to avoid contact from those that may have a cold.  I know with the immunosuppressants I’m on, I get sick fast and it lasts much longer than anyone else in my family - despite otherwise very fit.

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I’ve already been told that I won’t be cleared unless things get substantially better, so I doubt I will be part of the regular workforce that is slated to return in September.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Drouin - Suzuki- Armia

Lehkonen - Domi - Byron

Hudon - KK - Weal

I really want to see KK with some skilled players. I’ve read a lot about how much better his shot is and how much faster he is.  I also want him to develop into a centre, so I’d rather have with Domi and Lekhonan as his wingers.  Byron would also be an option - that would be a very fast 3rd line.

i can’t see us progressing very far in these playoffs, so I see this as more a development opportunity for the kids and see how they handle a higher pressure situation. With Domi due a contract, I also want to see if he can show that he can be effective on the wing and if he’s got chemistry with KK.

13 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I really want to see KK with some skilled players. I’ve read a lot about how much better his shot is and how much faster he is.  I also want him to develop into a centre, so I’d rather have with Domi and Lekhonan as his wingers.  Byron would also be an option - that would be a very fast 3rd line.

i can’t see us progressing very far in these playoffs, so I see this as more a development opportunity for the kids and see how they handle a higher pressure situation. With Domi due a contract, I also want to see if he can show that he can be effective on the wing and if he’s got chemistry with KK.

No one's development will be hampered by playing on the fourth line for 3-5 games. If KK is ready to take a step, then he will rapidly play his way up the lineup. If he's not, then the 4th line is an OK place for him. The wider point is that when you are in the 'play-offs' or whatever we want to call this, you play to win games, not to develop young players. Heck, just having exposure to playoff action is itself a significant developmental step.