July 28, Maple Leafs vs Habs, 8 PM

dlbalr

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Weber knows the difference between exhibition and the real thing.

I hope thats all it is.

In other news KK looks great and Price has been sharp.  Hard to blame him on either goal.

In the 6th d battle... Ouellet has shaky moments and great moments.  Havent noticed fleury at all.

Anderson may need a Red Bull to stay awake

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

... Price has been sharp ...

A couple of nice saves ... but it could be 4-0 if not for a couple of close-in shots being put over the net ... Habs team defence still not great ... at one point in the first they had 5 players in a semi-circle around Price ... all within 6-ish feet ... with one Leaf behind the net

24 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

IMO it is NEVER a "clean hit" when the opponent goes flying uncontrollably into the boards ... Glad Belzile seemed OK

Belzile not coming back in.

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

... In other news KK looks great ...

Domi line also playing well ... think he makes much more sense stylistically playing with those two than would KK

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

A couple of nice saves ... but it could be 4-0 if not for a couple of close-in shots being put over the net ... Habs team defence still not great ... at one point in the first they had 5 players in a semi-circle around Price ... all within 6-ish feet ... with one Leaf behind the net

The Habs defence looking like shit is not a mark against Price.

I can't blame him on any of the goals and he's stopped other ones that should have been goals. 

Other 2nd period thoughts

Kotkaniemi looks really good. Suzuki is also playing well.

Drouin looks closer to what we saw in October/November than what we saw in March. Not totally there.

In the battle for the 6th d spot, Ouellet seems to be ahead of Fleury as far as playing way more minutes. He's had some really nice plays and some bad ones too.

Byron has his speed. Armia has been good too. Gallagher is normal Gally

Most of the rest look like shit, especially in the D-zone.

At this point Mete has the lowest TOI and couldn't tie up Kerfoot's stick on the third goal ... Ouellette hasn't looked great either ... Fleury has not been noticeable ... often a good thing for a defenceman ... 3rd pairing still an issue

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

In the battle for the 6th d spot, Ouellet seems to be ahead of Fleury as far as playing way more minutes. He's had some really nice plays and some bad ones too.

Ouellet terrifies me in the defensive zone.  He struggles in his own end so much that it baffles me that they're shifting Mete to his off-side to accommodate him being in there.  Fleury has largely been quiet but that's okay.  Considering how bad most of the D have looked, I'll take quiet.

Just now, dlbalr said:

Ouellet terrifies me in the defensive zone.  He struggles in his own end so much that it baffles me that they're shifting Mete to his off-side to accommodate him being in there.  Fleury has largely been quiet but that's okay.  Considering how bad most of the D have looked, I'll take quiet.

What are Fleury's minutes? I haven't even seen him.

I'm shocked he's played 7:41

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Kotkaniemi looks really good. Suzuki is also playing well.

Drouin looks closer to what we saw in October/November than what we saw in March. Not totally there.

Byron has his speed. Armia has been good too. Gallagher is normal Gally

Most of the rest look like shit, especially in the D-zone.

So, same old same old, in other words 😄

I like that Byron's wheels are intact. I've been concerned about him losing a step (since that will be the end of him as an NHL player).

Gally is such a fun player to watch.

Agree completely with Brian.

Shocked that its only 1:30 difference between Fleury and Ouellet.

I'd definitely go Mete- Fleury over  Ouellet-Mete.

Fleury is more solid and the fact I've barely notice him shows that. 

Mete is also better on his left side.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The Habs defence looking like shit is not a mark against Price.

I can't blame him on any of the goals and he's stopped other ones that should have been goals. 

Never said it was ... but it could be 4-0 ... NOT the fault of Price ... but basically this team is built on Carey being the 2014-15 Price ... which he isn't any longer ... few have ever or will ever be.

For anyone who doesn't like looking things up ... after two periods

As noted, Fleury at 7:41 ... slightly ahead of Mete ... both well behind Ouellette

Nice to see that being on the "4th line" hasn't hurt Max's minutes

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 9.51.33 PM.png      image.png

It's a nice illustration of the problem of being Carey Price. At the end of the 2nd he had let in three and had a save % of under .700. And yet, all three goals were basically un-saveable, owing to defensive lapses or rebounds. When you have a weak D, you can make no mistakes and yet come out with horrible-looking stats and a big fat L.

• Upvote 1

I’m looking forward to Domi taking his first shot.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Domi has made some plays that weise just can not finish at all.

Yep, if I never see the Dutch Gretzky squandering a close-in scoring chance again, it'll be too soon. Hard to believe we don't have better than him somewhere in the system 😝

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Weber is skating in quick sand.

Let's hope he lost a bet that required him to play this entire game doing his best impression of Alzner.

• Upvote 1