Aug. 1, Game 1 - Habs vs Penguins, 8 PM

dlbalr

Personally... i think he lacks “hockey sense” as well. But, then he shows those flashes of brilliance and all hope is restored. The problem for me is that he has has stopped driving the net... with and with out the puck. Like i said, king of fly bys and backhands with soft board play.... its all perimeter for him

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

If the downvote system still existed, this would get one. 

When Drouin had 14 points in 17 games in his last playoff appearance, including 5 points in 6 games against Pittsburgh, all the while looking better than Crosby, was he still “too dumb” to play in the NHL?

I can’t take the opinion of anyone who wants the Habs to lose this series seriously. 

Why do you derive some type of pleasure by criticizing someone’s mental capabilities? Do you think it will get you “in” with everyone else who is doing so? “Other people are bashing him, so people will like me now because I am too.”

Oh, it’s your own opinion? That’s probably even worse.

Watch a little bit of hockey, and you will see players like Patrick Kane display the exact same type of body language as Drouin. Half the time, he looks like he doesn’t care/isn’t trying, yet I am sure Blackhawk fans are not complaining about having him.

Now, before I get criticized for comparing simpleton Drouin to God-Reincarnated Kane, I am not saying Drouin has as much skill as Kane. What I am saying is that they are both skill based players however, who exibit the same mental lapses, turnovers, and lack of enthusiasm. The “nonchalant” backhand move that Drouin tried is the exact same “nonchalant” move Kane would make as well. When it works, it’s beautiful, when it doesn’t it looks like he “is too dumb to play in the NHL”.

Finally, it’s really fun to get your words twisted. No one is counting on Drouin to be the guy this play-in(off). With that being said, if the Habs are going to have long term success in these playoffs, they will need Drouin to contribute. That’s all that’s being said, and it isn’t rocket science in and of itself.

I look forward to seeing what happens when he does score a precious goal for us. The haters will forget about it and move on to the game after where he AGAIN!! has 0 points. 

There’s a saying one of the old CBC announcers had.  “He’a got all the tools in the world.  Just doesn’t have a toolbox.” That somes up Drouin in 12 words.

Guys Domi is a one season wonder, who is, and i quote "nothing more than a 30-40 point guy."

Career stats

52 points in 81 games... 

38 points in 59 games (the only season he was actually between 30-40 is a season he missed by 2 points and was injured for 23 games)

45 in 82

72 in 82

44 in 71 (likely would have been over 50 in a full season)

So tell me again how he is a guy whose upper limit is 40 points.

1 minute ago, zumpano21 said:

Two thoughts:

never been a huge fan of Drouin’s inconsistency

its his first game in four months.

Funny how every other player on the ice didn’t need that excuse 🙄

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

I don't want Lafreniere

I want Stanley

Lafreniere is a more likely path to a Cup than getting past Pittsburgh

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

True.

Also, have seen a few advocate falling on our face for a reasonable shot at Lafreniere. To be the devils advocate, I think its more important to establish that the franchise is a place where people come to exceed their potential and ultimately win games that matter.

I want nothing to do with a franchise that doesn’t have a winning culture or expectation.

6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Up 1-0 in 5gm series, i think better than 12% chance of winning series, cup likely still 100;1 or something like that,

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He also only played 27gms last season and was just 1st real game...just gotta hope he drives the net, forechecks a bit, buries a couple and does some inspired backchecking work in next few games.

40 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Guys Domi is a one season wonder, who is, and i quote "nothing more than a 30-40 point guy."

Career stats

52 points in 81 games... 

38 points in 59 games (the only season he was actually between 30-40 is a season he missed by 2 points and was injured for 23 games)

45 in 82

72 in 82

44 in 71 (likely would have been over 50 in a full season)

So tell me again how he is a guy whose upper limit is 40 points.

It is wrong to say his upper limit is 40 points ... outside his career season he is a 48 points per 82 games scorer ... until he repeats the 70+ points I don't think it is reasonable to expect more than 45-50 points from him ... valuing/assessing a player based on his best season is why some insist on calling Galchenyuk a 30 goal scorer, despite the fact that in the rest of his career he scores at an 18 goals per 82 games pace ... it is also how some really bad contracts get signed 

40 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I still think getting Lafreniere is more likely than getting past Pittsburgh.  We had our kids really step up and Price was solid.  But based on the highlights and the box score (with the number is stupid penalties taken by veterans), this is still the same team we saw in the season. Not very good and would have been over in the first 5 minutes had it not been for Price’s heroics.

i can’t see Crosby and Malkin only getting a combined 1 point/game for the remainder of the series. It’s been one game.  Yes, with a short series, our chances our higher for the upset.  But I can’t see us winning a series if we play like we did yesterday unless Price is pitching shutouts or is allowing only 1 goal/game.

we need to score and die that to happen we have to play guys that have some finish and give us at least a chance to score more goals.

I don’t have much faith in Pittsburgh’s goaltending and defense. The Habs have a chance. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Winning is fun.

Cheering to lose for a 12.5% chance at lafreniere... where is the fun in that.  

Both routes are likely to end up short of the ultimate goal, but id rather enjoy the journey.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I still think getting Lafreniere is more likely than getting past Pittsburgh.  We had our kids really step up and Price was solid.  But based on the highlights and the box score (with the number is stupid penalties taken by veterans), this is still the same team we saw in the season. Not very good and would have been over in the first 5 minutes had it not been for Price’s heroics.

i can’t see Crosby and Malkin only getting a combined 1 point/game for the remainder of the series. It’s been one game.  Yes, with a short series, our chances our higher for the upset.  But I can’t see us winning a series if we play like we did yesterday unless Price is pitching shutouts or is allowing only 1 goal/game.

we need to score and die that to happen we have to play guys that have some finish and give us at least a chance to score more goals.

I think all the penalties may have been a symptom of being over-matched, talent-wise. It’s when a player is under pressure that he’s most likely to make that kind of play.

27 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I don’t have much faith in Pittsburgh’s goaltending and defense. The Habs have a chance. 

We do have a significant chance now. The longer we hang in, the more confident we get and the more frustrated Pittsburgh becomes. Price has to be an absolute rock. If he is, the upset scenario becomes feasible despite what I say above.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We both know its true that every other player didnt have good games (on both teams and in the other games too).

As i said, and im sure you agreed before the tournament.  This thing is so weird... 3 months off with limited training, way less than a normal offseason, and then two weeks of practice, one exhibition game and away we go... its hard to draw really meaningful conclusions from anyones play in this tournament.  Its a small sample size of weird hockey.

Suzukis play is encouraging but it isnt 100% proof of who he will be in the future and neither is Drouins play.  

Some players will react better than others to this environment but that doesnt mean their bodies will react the same to when we get back to normal.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

It is wrong to say his upper limit is 40 points ... outside his career season he is a 48 points per 82 games scorer ... until he repeats the 70+ points I don't think it is reasonable to expect more than 45-50 points from him ... valuing/assessing a player based on his best season is why some insist on calling Galchenyuk a 30 goal scorer, despite the fact that in the rest of his career he scores at an 18 goals per 82 games pace ... it is also how some really bad contracts get signed 

You cant just take out 1 season in a 5 year career and do averages.

The average is what he does every season.  Just like you can't take out a bad month and claim a hypothetical hockey team is a .600 team if novembers 2-10 record is excluded.  You are what you are over large samples and large samples include both the good and the bad.

That said hes 24 and not even on his prime so im not sure why 50 is the upper limit either.

In his prime hes likely a 55-60 point guy as he is likely to still progress from where he is to what hes at 26, 27, 28, 29.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

You cant just take out 1 season in a 5 year career and do averages.

The average is what he does every season.  Just like you can't take out a bad month and claim a hypothetical hockey team is a .600 team if novembers 2-10 record is excluded.  You are what you are over large samples and large samples include both the good and the bad.

That said hes 24 and not even on his prime so im not sure why 50 is the upper limit either.

In his prime hes likely a 55-60 point guy as he is likely to still progress from where he is to what hes at 26, 27, 28, 29.

I think most big scorers peak much earlier than 27-29, dont they?

Just now, Commandant said:

Winning is fun.

Cheering to lose for a 12.5% chance at lafreniere... where is the fun in that.  

Both routes are likely to end up short of the ultimate goal, but id rather enjoy the journey.

It is not just the 12.5% chance at Lafreniere but also the alternative of the Habs pick being 9th in every round instead of 16th, or worse.

I'd rather not end the journey as the habs have over the 25 seasons (not counting 2019-20) by missing the playoffs 10 times, first round loses 8 times, 2nd round loses 5 times ... only the two measly 3rd round (Conference Finals) loses really gave any hope of a Cup win ... since the last Cup, in one form or another, striving to "make the playoffs and then see" has been the mantra of the last five general managers ... not good enough IMO

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

You cant just take out 1 season in a 5 year career and do averages. The average is what he does every season. ......You are what you are over large samples and large samples include both the good and the bad ...

You have to when assessing a player with ONE season so much better than his others ... averages inflate expectations ... especially with what is still a small sample size ... his inconsistent performances make an average useless.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

... That said hes 24 and not even on his prime so im not sure why 50 is the upper limit either.

Agreed that at 25 he's not yet in his prime ... but he is close ... 20/21 will tell a lot about what it is reasonable to expect from him each season

27 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

It is not just the 12.5% chance at Lafreniere but also the alternative of the Habs pick being 9th in every round instead of 16th, or worse.

I'd rather not end the journey as the habs have over the 25 seasons (not counting 2019-20) by missing the playoffs 10 times, first round loses 8 times, 2nd round loses 5 times ... only the two measly 3rd round (Conference Finals) loses really gave any hope of a Cup win ... since the last Cup, in one form or another, striving to "make the playoffs and then see" has been the mantra of the last five general managers ... not good enough IMO

Meh... i just cant cheer for my team to lose.  Im not built that way 

38 minutes ago, DON said:

I think most big scorers peak much earlier than 27-29, dont they?

If we are talking the crosby, mcdavid types then it skews a little younger.

If we are talking most top 6 nhlers which is where id put domi then we are talking 25-29  (look at gallagher, tatar, who are just recently hitting their best years).

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I can’t understand it. I want the best for the Habs in the past, present and future but had the Habs lost last night, I’d still feel very upset. I’m glad we won. I think that’s normal? 

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Fair enough ... I was generally in that mode until the last year or two ... but I have simply lost patience, and confidence that this management team will ever deliver ... their two best youngsters are KK (when they could have had Thachuk or Hughes ... both the type of player the Habs have desperately lacked for years) and Suzuki (who MB didn't REALLY want in the Pacs trade) ... even small bits of success lets MB continue to sell HOPE ... that, like Houle, Savard, Gainey and Gauthier before him, will likely prove to be false

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

That argument is moot because it isn't like we automatically get him if we lose this series

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I will bet you all of your Habs29 disposable funds that the Habs win this series at 8-1 odds. I might lose the bet, but that might be the dumbest line I ever seen. 

And again, you're blaming the win on the performance of our best player as if it is a bad thing. Why is this a narrative? He is our highest paid player. You complain he gets paid so much but then complain when he wins a game by playing great. 

• Upvote 1

Now, i'm trying not to get too excited, but if i'm being honest, Last time I saw a young player playing with that level of intelligence, slithering around like an apex predator out their, mixing lethal accuracy and cerebral thinking at both ends of the ice......

*Whispers*  His name was Pavel Datsyuk..

And we may just have an non evolved version of him on our team, getting ready to evolve in the very near future, named Nick Suzuki. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, illWill said:

That argument is moot because it isn't like we automatically get him if we lose this series

I will bet you all of your Habs29 disposable funds that the Habs win this series at 8-1 odds. I might lose the bet, but that might be the dumbest line I ever seen. 

And again, you're blaming the win on the performance of our best player as if it is a bad thing. Why is this a narrative? He is our highest paid player. You complain he gets paid so much but then complain when he wins a game by playing great. 

tenor.gif?itemid=10865461

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1