(12) Montreal Canadiens vs (5)(1) Philadelphia Flyers - SC Playoffs - First Round Discussion

xXx..CK..xXx

How is everyone feeling about our matchup in these upcoming playoffs? 

During the regular season, Montreal was 1-0-2 against Philadelphia whereas Philly was 2-1-0 against the Habs.

Philly fans seem to be quite confident in general heading into the playoffs in general, as well as with their matchup here. 

My prediction is the Flyers in 6 but certainly hope to be wrong.

Thoughts? 

Penguins were predicted to win in four. Didn’t happen.

Flyers fans (and writers) are very confident about kicking the Habs to the curb. But I think this team has demonstrated that they won’t fold quite that easily.

The Athletic’s model gives the Habs a 36% probability of beating the Flyers, roughly the same as the last round. We’re not dead yet!

Alain Vigneault is my favourite recent past coach. I like his teams, and Michel Terrien gets results despite being a flawed person

CJ doesn’t have the players that fit his style, but seems to be getting the most out most of the team

advantage PHI

Challenge for this series, unlike Pens, might be the Flyers goaltending ... in the play-ins (minimum 2 games) Price had the best Sv% (.947) and 3rd best GAA (1.67) ... but in his three games in the round robin Carter Hart had a .960 Sv% and a 1.00 GAA ... would be a good time for Drouin and Tartar to break out

16 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Alain Vigneault is my favourite recent past coach. I like his teams, and Michel Terrien gets results despite being a flawed person

CJ doesn’t have the players that fit his style, but seems to be getting the most out most of the team

advantage PHI

Love me some Vigneault. Therrien is human garbage who should be run over repeatedly with a Mack truck.

I don't actually know all that much about Philly, but they do seem to beat us whenever they play us in the playoffs, so that's not so great.

If Price, KK, Suzuki, and our top-4 D unit play like they did in the second half of Games Three and in Game Four - and if we can avoid taking stupid penalties - then the Habs do have a chance. Those two games are the template.

I think these two teams match up rather well. 

Both are tough, quick, gritty teams. 

Philly has more proven, talented players especially on offense. 

Secret in this series is between the pipes. 

Can Hart keep his head clear?   If he can’t, it might end up being what the Habs need to swing the pendulum. 

Cause if there’s one thing that’s for sure it’s that no one is getting in Carey’s head. 

I think the key in this one is special teams again.

If we get into penalty trouble we will pay.

Again, I might sound like a broken record but it will come down to the continued success of Suzuki and KK. If they can maintain the form they displayed vs Pitt, we have more then a chance. If the regress, we will bow out 

To note, we won the Pitt series without our top goalscorers Gally and Tatar registering a single tally (who would of thought) As well as our leading scorer of last year in Domi and even Armia. Also, Drouin managed a goal but was probably the weakest of the top 6. That will have to change if we are going to have success going forward.

This is a nightmare matchup for us...much tougher than Pittsburgh.  Our slim glimmer of hope lies in Carey being a wall being coupled with a Carter Hart collapse.  If our powerplay continues to run at 0%, I give us no chance at all.

I agree with illWill that I will be a tough matchup.  If I was able pick their opponent I would not have picked the Flyers.  The Flyers have been in a similar position as the Habs, being on the cusp of making the playoffs but failing to.

For a long time the Habs have had some crap luck vs the Flyers.  It's better the Habs face the Flyers in the 1st round while still healthy vs round 2 or 3.  The Habs luck will hopefully change this series.  The Flyers cant always beat the Habs. 

Pitts isnt really out of the playoff because of the Habs, its really more due to the Flyers getting 3 points ahead of them that ruined their playoff chances.    I do think the Habs can beat the Flyers.  A healthy Pitts team is better than Philly and the Habs just beat them.

If the Habs are able to pull off a miracle and make it to the Cup (which I have a funny feeling about), this will likely be their toughest series.

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

... To note, we won the Pitt series without our top goalscorers Gally and Tatar registering a single tally (who would of thought) As well as our leading scorer of last year in Domi and even Armia. Also, Drouin managed a goal but was probably the weakest of the top 6. That will have to change if we are going to have success going forward.

Absolutely ... those two need to get going (hopefully Gallagher can heal up in the down time) ... but it wasn't just them ... Domi and Armia (3rd and 4th in goal scoring in the regular season) were blanked as well ... on the other hand, Philly won its games without any of their top 5 goal scorers from the season getting any either ... these teams are in VERY similar situations that way

1st question I'd ask  is what's up with Vorachek and will Lindbolm be back? That's huge.

I'd guess line match ups for me would be

Coutoriuer  vs Suzuki?

Hayes vs Danault

Grant vs KK

Thompson vs hopefully Poehling

That's guessing Lindbolm doesnt return right away from his cancer battle. But if both he and Vorachek are back in the line up and questions surrounding Raffl's injury to. If all return that will push Farabee out of the line up and Laughton down the line up creating a real match up issue on the 4th line especially if CJ thinks Weise will suddenly play better vs his former team.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Challenge for this series, unlike Pens, might be the Flyers goaltending ... in the play-ins (minimum 2 games) Price had the best Sv% (.947) and 3rd best GAA (1.67) ... but in his three games in the round robin Carter Hart had a .960 Sv% and a 1.00 GAA ... would be a good time for Drouin and Tartar to break out

Carter played two games. Only allowed one goal in each one but he also only faced four high-danger chances in each one.

Price faced an average of almost 15 high-danger chances in the four-game series against the Penguins.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Carter played two games. Only allowed one goal in each one but he also only faced four high-danger chances in each one.

Price faced an average of almost 15 high-danger chances in the four-game series against the Penguins.

Wasn't putting Price down ... just noting that Hart has played well

Right.

It surely will not be easy to beat the Flyers, but neither will it be impossible, if our team plays as well as it can.

I’m looking forward to some entertaining playoff hockey. And at the end of the day, our kids will have grown and matured thanks to this experience.

25 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Would be nice to get an update on Evans but I guess that won’t happen.

No reports from the scrimmages either — are those closed to the media?

The update on Evans will be 'unfit to play' until he's, well, fit to play.

Practices are closed to the media.

15 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Right...

?????????????

32 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

!!!!!!

Seriously, I'm not sure what the question is. :D

What was "right" related to in the context of your "Right ... It surely will not be easy to beat the Flyers ..." post ... seemed to most closely link to my saying I wasn't putting down Price, as though you thought I was lying.

44 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

What was "right" related to in the context of your "Right ... It surely will not be easy to beat the Flyers ..." post ... seemed to most closely link to my saying I wasn't putting down Price, as though you thought I was lying.

Sorry for the confusion. I accepted/agreed that you weren't putting Price down.

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Sorry for the confusion. I accepted/agreed that you weren't putting Price down.

Thanks ... likely too sensitive on my part

Hart is reputed to be "the next" Carey Price ... interesting matchup ... although neither will likely have even one shot on the other