How do we feel about Theodore?

Roo-AH! Roo-AH!

The RDS page is lit up with people ranting about Theo's struggles thus far...I think that many goalies are struggling a bit with the double-whammy of new rules and new equipment and I don't actually think Theo has been that bad, but I do worry that he'll let the criticism bother him. For a guy with such an ego, he does seem capable of letting setbacks lead him into erratic play.

What does the mighty Forum think? Should we start fretting about the man between the pipes?

[Edited on 2005/10/12 by Roo-AH! Roo-AH!]

Garon is doing NOTHING in LA, infact he's lost the #1 job so please no "We shoulda kept Garon" posts.

Theodore, Belfour, Kiprusoff, Khabibulin, some great goalies are struggling bad right now. No need to throw yourself off a building, Theodore will regain form. Just watch.

I agree with both of you. When I look at the Chicago/Khabibulin situation, I shiver a bit. THAT potentially has the makings of a BAD move.

Like you said, Kiprusoff, the other hero of the last Stanley Cup finals is struggling too. As to Belfour, I think that the man is way past his prime but, hey, what do I know about that situation.

Theo will be fine. He made some incredible saves last night that amazed me. Problem was Montreal spent almost one entire period worth of time killing penalties. On Saturday night against the Leafs he had 3 easy goals against him.

Wide open NHL is definitely going to bring the averages up. Jose is our #1 netminder and I believe he will come through for the team this year wiyth an impressive season.

Imo when you have a goalie that is 3-1 u can't complain to much... yes he has let in some bad gols but he is playing well enough to get the win. On a side note the trade for theo for roberto might have paid off a little.

by saying that dont get me wrong theo is the man and he will get stronger as the year goes on.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He had a good game last night. He stopped some tough shots that other goalies would have let in.

Two of the goals were deflections (a combined total of 3, OFF OUR OWN PLAYERS) and one was goaltender interference. The other they were hsorthanded and Alfredsson was on fire. Bonk might've lost us this one.

Theo only has to practice deflected shots in practice. And the Habs have to improve on the PP.

Originally posted by ck5523

Imo when you have a goalie that is 3-1 u can't complain to much... yes he has let in some bad gols but he is playing well enough to get the win.  On a side note the trade for theo for roberto might have paid off a little.  

by saying that dont get me wrong theo is the man and he will get stronger as the year goes on.

While I'm far from being a Théodore basher, I still think that if such a trade could have taken place, Montreal would have come out better for it.

But that's ok. we can't have the very best of the very best of everything - not possible.

We can be sure, though, that we do have one of the best and, for that, we should be thankful.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

and that makes 1500. I never expected to see this. All comes from yackin' 'n yackin' and, importantly, the 'discussions' with BTH (a side project of BTO - BTH really meaning Bachman Turner Hoverdrive ;););) ).

[Edited on 2005/10/12 by shortcat1]

Originally posted by shortcat1
Originally posted by ck5523

Imo when you have a goalie that is 3-1 u can't complain to much... yes he has let in some bad gols but he is playing well enough to get the win.  On a side note the trade for theo for roberto might have paid off a little.  

While I'm far from being a Théodore basher, I still think that if such a trade could have taken place, Montreal would have come out better for it.

But that's ok. we can't have the very best of the very best of everything - not possible.

We can be sure, though, that we do have one of the best and, for that, we should be thankful.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

and that makes 1500. I never expected to see this. All comes from yackin' 'n yackin' and, importantly, the 'discussions' with BTH (a side project of BTO - BTH really meaning Bachman Turner Hoverdrive ;););) ).

[Edited on 2005/10/12 by shortcat1]

I very seriously doubt that there was ever a "Theo for Roberto" trade on the table. That has all the smell of being put out by his agent to his media buddies to put a little pressure on Kennan during the negotiations.

Theo and Ryder (as it was) for Roberto would have been a steal for the Habs IMHO and Florida could have gotten a lot more. Anyway, I don't think they were shopping Roberto at all this offseason.

Luongo has gotten off to a great start... and Marcel Hossa has 3 goals... not saying that luongo is on hossa's level, just that the way you start isnt necessarily the way you finish.

Luongo will be a top goaltender this season, lets call it 2.50 GAA... Theo will be a top goaltender too. Once the D gets settled and he gets used to the style of play his numbers are going to improve a lot

Originally posted by Mark Napier

Ryder and Theo for Luongo a steal??  Hmmm...think you need to think that one over.

Yep that would have taken away maybe 10 points from our final ranking. What a horrible trade. Maybe Dagenais for Huselius, Hagman and Weiss.

Originally posted by Mark Napier

Ryder and Theo for Luongo a steal??  Hmmm...think you need to think that one over.

I have. That is my opinion and I don't just base it on Luongo's season start. I think Luongo will become (is becoming) an all time great goalie while Theo is "simply" a good starter (and I don't put any pejorative connotation to that). Rider is a fine sniper, but has other meaningfull shotcomings. If Montreal, with its offensive depth, could have traded Theo and Ryder for Luongo that would have been a MAJOR steal in my books. I can understand that others may have different evaluations of these players, but I'm pretty comfortable with mine. Anyway, like I said, that trade was most probably pure Lupien fabrication.

I'd give Jose another couple of games before he finds his footing. Although there has been a high incidence of soft goals let in by Theo, you can see definite improvement on some particular issues. Let's not forget that he is 3-1, and it has been a somewhat grueling schedule for him, against some decent oppostion. All we need is for him to stop letting in the soft ones, and for heaven's sake... stay in the net! ;)

I guarantee we'll be worshiping Jose in no time.

Theo loves playing the puck. His problem: he can't. It's amazing how this guy scored a goal. Oh man, what a shot! And on the backhand too. Anyway, he's a bad puck0handler and I yell at the TV screen whenever he races with a forward for the puck. He lets in too many goals because he's out of position. He sometimes makes a good pass up to the redline though.

What I saw in the leaf game Theo hasnt adjusted to the smaller glove yet. That Domi goal wouldve been saved if he had the old glove... I remember about 10-15 years ago when 3.00 was a good goals/game... maybe we are heading back to those days again?... Roy's best goals/game in habs was 2.57 I think... We will know in 78 games what the average goal/game will be. Give Theo some time to adjust to the smaller gear.

all the numbers are going to be skewed off of their new means until next season. The most informative numbers this season will be the moving average. Once there is more data, I will start posting the moving average. Right now there is high deviation from mean and an impossibly small sample size. In 20 games there will be enough data to get some meaningful results. It will be interesting to see the overall trends throughout the season. at the very least, the deviations will grow smaller.

Guys, not every easy goal that Jose let in was totally his fault. The Ryder giveaway that led to a goal was due to the Montreal Defence being up ice, a line change was being made and Ryder pulled a dumb dumb move passing near the centre of the blue line. Oh I can still see that horrible move. Domi's deflected goal could have been stopped, but it was a tough one.

Last night Boullion did the same giveaway thing and Ottawa missed the net.

I find Montreal's forwards and Defence can really play outstanding defensively when they want to. One thing that happens is they collapse in on Jose so he sometimes cannot see the puck. Pretty tough to stop when you cannot see the puck, but most of the time he does.

He had one bad game and won. He had a very good game and lost. Team Team Team! The team needs to protect the net a little better and Jose just has to try and not let rebounds out. This will eliminate most garbage goals. Overall I like how he has played knowing that he will be better. Canadiens are 3-1 ! Jose keeps the games close. Roberto would not be doing any better in a Habs uniform.

my bold prediction is the habs win the cup this year and theo wins the conn smythe. he's the real deal although he is admittedly struggling at the moment.

he just needs one big playoff run that i believe is happening sooner rather than later to catapult him into superstar status that he flirted with a couple years ago.

Theo said this on the canadiens.com site

“It’s really tough because there’s just so much traffic in front of the net now,” said Theodore. “There were a few times when [Ottawa] had guys in the crease and the referees didn’t call it. I heard a few warnings after the whistle, but if that’s not going to be enough, the refs are going to have to be stricter about guys crashing the net.”

The Senators game-winning goal by Antoine Vermette is the one that most upset the Canadiens’ goalie.

“I know I had someone hit me on that play,” said Theodore. “Someone knocked me off balance that much I can tell you. I guess I’ll see the replay later but I think as a goalie you’ve got to expect that when an opponent skates through the crease, the referee has to spot it and least stop the play or call a penalty for interference.”

Referees gotta wake up at least keep up with the rules... you can see the interference! (slight as it may be) clearly on the vid.

Originally posted by CoRvInA

“It’s really tough because there’s just so much traffic in front of the net now,” said Theodore. “There were a few times when [Ottawa] had guys in the crease and the referees didn’t call it. I heard a few warnings after the whistle, but if that’s not going to be enough, the refs are going to have to be stricter about guys crashing the net.”

The Senators game-winning goal by Antoine Vermette is the one that most upset the Canadiens’ goalie.

“I know I had someone hit me on that play,” said Theodore. “Someone knocked me off balance that much I can tell you.  I guess I’ll see the replay later but I think as a goalie you’ve got to expect that when an opponent skates through the crease, the referee has to spot it and least stop the play or call a penalty for interference.”

Referees gotta wake up at least keep up with the rules...  you can see the interference! (slight as it may be) clearly on the vid.

Jose is right. Vermette's goal was nice from the point except an Ottawa player(I would bet Neil) tapped his left pad skating through the crease which did not allow Jose to do the butterfly! At first I thought good goal, but like Hulls goal for Dallas in Stanley Cup final, player in the crease... NO GOAL!!!!!

Another thing we played 16 min with at least one man short when ottawa just played 6 min... Getting rid of stupid penalties is what we have to concentrate on! of course the boys will get tired specially if there's only realy 11 forwards!

Another thing we played 16 min with at least one man short  when ottawa just played 6 min... Getting rid of stupid penalties is what we have to concentrate on!  of course the boys will get tired specially if there's only realy  11 forwards!

This is true almost a whole period being down one guy. And the team played better with more breakouts and long passes that gave chances on Ottawa's goal. Maybe Montreal should decline future power Plays and request to be short handed! :o

back to simonus if last year average was lets say 2.5 gaa then were okay with an error of 0.25 gaa all this at a 95% confidence level then we only need 384.16 games thus a 12 season games and 2 periods per club.

“I know I had someone hit me on that play,” said Theodore. “Someone knocked me off balance that much I can tell you.  I guess I’ll see the replay later but I think as a goalie you’ve got to expect that when an opponent skates through the crease, the referee has to spot it and least stop the play or call a penalty for interference.”

Referees gotta wake up at least keep up with the rules...  you can see the interference! (slight as it may be) clearly on the vid.

Players in the crease not being called on interference seems to be a frequent event so far this season. With the way the refs have been applying all other rules, you gotta wonder if this isn't intentional on the NHL's part (ie. so that they get higher scoring games).

[Edited on 2005/10/12 by Rooster]