FLYERS @ HABS IN TORONTO ON AUG 16, 20:00 ET

illWill

I like our Hart better than their Hart

Not sure of any line up changes at the moment, had to post now since I won't have a chance later on today. 

I like to put Toronto in the title because it is absolutely amazing that the Habs are playing playoff hockey in Toronto and the Leafs are not.

Side note: Carey Price turns 33 today

Other side note: LET'S GO!

• Upvote 1

I expect this to be the toughest game of the playoffs/playins so far. The Flyers were humiliated, and even though the series is tied, psychologically it feels like a "must win" for them.

I have a funny feeling Captain Kirk will have the team ready and raring to go, however.

Go Habs Go!

37 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I expect this to be the toughest game of the playoffs/playins so far. The Flyers were humiliated, and even though the series is tied, psychologically it feels like a "must win" for them.

I have a funny feeling Captain Kirk will have the team ready and raring to go, however.

Go Habs Go!

Agreed.  Flyers will definitely be coming out hard and we wont have the old “win one for the gipper” thing going for us.

I think more than Price, it’s really going to depend on how well the kids continue to do well. Unexpected Price to be good after the long rest after being over worked.  But the time away makes it like a KK is going into season - coming back much bigger, stronger and confident.  Ditto for suziki who was slowing down and he time off has been great for him as well.

And it’s not just the habs, you look at the young players on the Canucks and the Avs and it’s like they all came back learning from last year and having time to get stronger and more confident.

anyway, as far as this series goes, be interesting to see how Hart responds - that I think is the key to this series from the flyers side.

15 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Agreed.  Flyers will definitely be coming out hard and we wont have the old “win one for the gipper” thing going for us.

I think more than Price, it’s really going to depend on how well the kids continue to do well. Unexpected Price to be good after the long rest after being over worked.  But the time away makes it like a KK is going into season - coming back much bigger, stronger and confident.  Ditto for suziki who was slowing down and he time off has been great for him as well.

And it’s not just the habs, you look at the young players on the Canucks and the Avs and it’s like they all came back learning from last year and having time to get stronger and more confident.

anyway, as far as this series goes, be interesting to see how Hart responds - that I think is the key to this series from the flyers side.

Indeed! Price and the Trident are the foundation, but in a sense they're just doing what core, accomplished vets ought to do - be at their very best in the crunch. What is having a transformative effect on this team is the sudden and largely unexpected emergence of two brand-new top-6 C. If they keep playing like this, it is absolutely huge for the Habs. It makes them a totally different team from the regular season.

The Canucks are interesting but a somewhat different case, in that their young core is elite and showed itself to be so during the season. But you're right that skipping the dog days - the final grinding 20 games, when young guys often start to flag - gives an unanticipated boost to kids in general. Also, you look at St Louis or Rask ...some ring-toting NHL vets seem to be struggling with motivation in this format. It apparently doesn't feel as "real" to them. Which is really just fine by me, since OUR vets clearly do not have this problem.

34 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Also, you look at St Louis or Rask ...some ring-toting NHL vets seem to be struggling with motivation in this format. It apparently doesn't feel as "real" to them. Which is really just fine by me, since OUR vets clearly do not have this problem.

You can add Washington to that list. Seems like They are ready to be beaten 

I agree with Cucumber that the biggest difference is we grew two top 2 centres between the shutdown and now. Suzuki looks fresh and to me he reminds me of a young Plekanec (offensive flair, good passer and strong defensively) and Kotkaniemi looks like Getzlaf (uses size in offensive zone, goes to net, great shot, excellent passer).

Centre position went from a real weakness to a growing strength.

Add in our depth and some real great play by Kulak and we are looking good.

Not to mention Price is playing so well

6 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I agree with Cucumber that the biggest difference is we grew two top 2 centres between the shutdown and now. Suzuki looks fresh and to me he reminds me of a young Plekanec (offensive flair, good passer and strong defensively) and Kotkaniemi looks like Getzlaf (uses size in offensive zone, goes to net, great shot, excellent passer).

Centre position went from a real weakness to a growing strength.

Add in our depth and some real great play by Kulak and we are looking good.

Not to mention Price is playing so well

Suzuki is way better than pleks was at this age and looks to have a much higher ceiling.

15 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Suzuki is way better than pleks was at this age and looks to have a much higher ceiling.

I love how calm Suzuki is with the puck in his own zone. You just see his hockey IQ everytime he has the puck. 

1 hour ago, zumpano21 said:

Hoping for 2 tallies or less for Philly.

Price is on the verge of putting the fear of extinction into the other side.

Hoping for 2+goals by Habs with one being of the PPG variety.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Agree 100% the comparison isn't even close... plex was 3 years older breaking into the league. Can we even imagine were suzuki will be then?

8 minutes ago, illWill said:

Apparently Chris Lee is reffing tonight, can't wait to punch a hole in my wall

I was going to wait until puck drop to crack a beer, but I think I'll start drinking early 😡

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, DON said:

This is precisely why I compared Suzuki to Plex but Bergeron is even better.

Philly will come out flying so I hope Price can hold the fort until we get our speed game going.

Hoping for a real great game from the Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Domi line, all 3 guys have something to prove and they are certainly working on that.

GHG