should we trade dags???

ck5523

He doesn't have much trade value so it doesn't matter. He has to score a couple of goals before abny team'll want him.

He's a guy that would help us but why would the Rangers take Dagenais? He's not their type of player. They like speed, energy and skill-handling where Dagenais is lazy and slow. They'd want a draft pick with him. Maybe we can trade a fifth rounder for him. NYR already lost that pick by packaging it with Balej to get Fedorov.

Like I said they're thinking could be be based around the thought that Jagr and Rucinsky would carry the most of the play and Dags could be used as a set up man with his good shot. I've seen lines built aroung this strategy. I question the deal however as it doesn't sound all that likely. Just trying to reason why the Rags might want him.

The Rangers already have to great scoring lines. Dagenais doesn't belong on a checking line. And by set-up I hope you mean he's the guy they set up not the one who sets them up. Either way that means you're taking away goals from snipers like Jagr and Rucinsky and counting on Dagenais to supply them. You need atleast a half-decent player to take that role.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

And by set-up I hope you mean he's the guy they set up not the one who sets them up.

Well I think that was obvious when I said he had a great shot.....not a great pass :eyes:.

Either way that means you're taking away goals from snipers like Jagr and Rucinsky

That makes no sense. If they're setting up Dags they're still getting points aren't they?? Besides I wouldn't exactly call Rucinsky a sniper any more......

Is it really time to totally give up on Pierre Dagenais?

In one full year with the habs 50 games he got 17 goals and was a +15. Now I know this is not great stats but it is not all that bad. Sometimes you can make a trade that is not worth making. If everyone slags this guy on here then he must be so bad that you can only get a bucket of pucks for him.

If Montreal trades Dagenais, I would rather see a draft pick coming back and give the icetime opportunity to our current lineup. I dont want someone elses rejects because you are just trading a project player for another project player. Sort of like the Hossa trade which should have been a draft pick instead.

Dags will need to adapt to the new NHL style before he gets any trade value. Once he keeps his penalty minutes down and scores a few goals he may have some use to a team without a scoring second line. Everyone knows he can shoot and shoot well, but he will need to at least form a bit of an all around game before we can move him.

And then there is the Ribiero factor. Hopefully he treats any Dags trade like a professional.

I would not be in favor of trading Dags right now. Remember, you have to sell high and buy low! ;)

His +15 +/- was based on the line's puck possesion skills. Ryder and Ribs better bring their game up before the trends start to appear again.

Goals are the same things with Dags. He is a finisher, not a playmaker. The things than worries me most is that its actually Dags replacement (i.e. Higgins) that did the best in terms of puck possesion on the second line.

Yes we trade Dags, but not untill his two linemates bring back 2003-2004's chemistry. I believe it should happen after about 10 games into the season.

With Ryder and Ribeiro bringing back the puck possesion aspect (Ryder in the corner and Ribs decking and passing), Dags is going to start scoring.

Now you wait 10 more games for him to "do his thing" and start having a bit more credit.

After 20 games or so you trade Dags. Not for another player but for a Draft pick. I believe our young guns can take the slack and that we have to think about replenishing our pipeline.

Of course, one might wonder why we should trade Dags once he starts scoring...

We just have to remember his many weaknesses long enough for his stock to rise a bit.

yeah, but that can be attributed to 'pre-breakout' ribs. Also, his earlier line assignments.

This is the standard problem with looking at player statistics in hockey. So much of a player's individual stats are determined by a player's teammates.

In baseball a pitcher's wins are screwed up because of his team's offensive output (see Roger Clemens), or because of his team's defensive ineptitude (see Derek Lowe).

Classic crap stat is RBI, where a barry bonds who hits tons of solo HRs has less RBI's than Manny Ramirez or A-Rod who have guys on base when they step up to the plate.

In hockey, this team dependance is true 100 fold.

But that's the beauty of hockey!

Where you actually have to know a team a lot before knowing the true value of the players involved!

Where gems can be found and players overrated!

Where a combination of different styles can produce an unexpected suprise!

Thats one of the aspects I find so interesting! :D