GAME 6: Flyers at Habs, 7 PM on 21 August

tomh009

4 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm not 100% sold on CJ but I'm not suggesting that he should be fired, but in the event that his health doesnt allow him to continue it will be an issue of who to replace him with.  I would not consider KM at all.  I question if KM should be the AC and theres no way I would suggest promoting him. 

I often agree with you say but a big oh hell no to trading Domi to the Leafs.  That is potentially an absolutely terrible idea.  If the Leafs were the only team in the NHL that would take Domi I would probably sign him long term with the intention of sending him to the AHL to rot forever before I'd trade him to T.O.  Hypothetically, if Domi was a Leaf and only scored in 4 games a year it would be the games against the Habs.  It could easily bite the Habs in the ass big time and make the Habs a perennial wildcard team at best if they lost 3-4 games to the Leafs every year.    Same goes with any other team in the Habs division.  It would not be smart to risk that chance. 

the deal needs to be for Marner not Nylander...

Domi for Nylander saves them arguably nothing in CaP... 

54 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Domi should come in $1M less and Mete would be another cheaper puck mover.  They need help on their blueline, which was already bad and Barrie won’t be back.  But yeah, I get your point. I’m just not keen on having two $10m+ players unless one of those players is a Matthews type of player.  I also think that if Suzuki progresses he may be better and than would expect to have similar salary as Marner.

6 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Dubas said that he is not moving Mathews, Tavares or marner.

Also, Nylander makes $6,962,366 where Domi will probably make $4,500,000

If the Habs took another contract like Kerfoot at $3,500,000 or Andres Jonhson at $3,400,000 with Nylander's maybe that would work for Toronto

Edited by alfredoh2009

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Dubas said that he is not moving Mathews, Tavares or marner.

Also, Nylander makes $6,962,366 where Domi will probably make $4,500,000

If the Habs took another contract like Kerfoot at $3,500,000 or Andres Jonhson at $3,400,000 with Nylander's maybe that would work for Toronto

Nylander would look damned good in the CH if you ask me. I just doubt that TO would bite at Domi/Mete for him. If they did, I'd be all over it.

Don't get me wrong, I would take Nylander ina heartbeat as well but I would prefer Marner who is 10x the player.

We don't need another 3C in Kerfoot... we have the best 3C in Danault and don't need to blow CAP on kerfoot when Evans as matured into the 4C role at a fraction of the cost

Is Johnsson an upgrade to what we already have?

We need to go after a BIG fish...

22 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Don't get me wrong, I would take Nylander ina heartbeat as well but I would prefer Marner who is 10x the player.

We don't need another 3C in Kerfoot... we have the best 3C in Danault and don't need to blow CAP on kerfoot when Evans as matured into the 4C role at a fraction of the cost

I don't know about "a big fish." This team could use an upgrade on every top-6 W except Gallagher. To my mind, that needn't be a stud superstar; you can improve just by adding better players than you currently have. That said, sure, if we can bring in a truly elite, impact player, you won't hear me crying about it.

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

If you look at the Leafs forwards salary on Cap Friendly you will see that Kerfoot and Jhohnson are overpaid third liners. To make the trade for Nylander work, we will need to take on some of those players and relieve the Leafs from salary cap purgatory

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If you look at the Leafs forwards salary on Cap Friendly you will see that Kerfoot and Jhohnson are overpaid third liners. To make the trade for Nylander work, we will need to take on some of those players and relieve the Leafs from salary cap purgatory

No We don't...To help relieve their CAP, we can take 7 M or 10M off it by taking one of those 2 wingers in return for a cheap replacement and picks / prospects. we don't need to take bad Contracts as well.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't know about "a big fish." This team could use an upgrade on every top-6 W except Gallagher. To my mind, that needn't be a stud superstar; you can improve just by adding better players than you currently have. That said, sure, if we can bring in a truly elite, impact player, you won't hear me crying about it.

We agree here. A Big Fish in my book is a proven scorer / point producer. I want a Laine / Hall / Marner / Nylander/ Boeser...

I don't want Johnsson or Kap or Kerfoot types, They are NOT upgrades on the Drouins Domi Tatar Danault we currently have

AIso if NCAA ends up Canceling season Caufield could go PRO? something to pay attention to has we head towards the new season

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

.. AIso if NCAA ends up Canceling season Caufield could go PRO? something to pay attention to has we head towards the new season

Since Habs were apparently "pushing" him back to college for another year they may prefer he play in the OHL (Sault Ste-Marie currently has his rights) ... could sign him but send him down without burning a year of the ELC ... 

6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Since Habs were apparently "pushing" him back to college for another year they may prefer he play in the OHL (Sault Ste-Marie currently has his rights) ... could sign him but send him down without burning a year of the ELC ... 

I read that, but is the CHL going ahead?  This year will be an interesting year for a lot of prospects and minor leaguers.  May not be a place to play.

26 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I read that, but is the CHL going ahead?  This year will be an interesting year for a lot of prospects and minor leaguers.  May not be a place to play.

They are planning for a December start ... whether it works (like AHL and even NHL) remains to be seen

42 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

They are planning for a December start ... whether it works (like AHL and even NHL) remains to be seen

Well NHL can play in empty arenas and still get TV revenues, but that’s not an option for CHL/AHL/ECHL, if there are still restrictions in place.

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, yes, upgrades are good, but if the new player is only five more points per season, all other attributes being equal, it may not be worth the disruption and cost -- and risk that it doesn't work out.

If I assume the top-six wingers are Gallagher, Tatar, Drouin and Armia, then we are talking about the last three given that Gallagher is likely untouchable (along with Lehkonen, I expect, of the wingers). Drouin has a long-term contract at $5.5M, so we would need to find someone to take him off our hands; Tatar and Armia are UFAs after the next season so it's trade now, resign them or let them walk. Armia is currently a bargain at $2.6M but will surely need more after 0.5 PPG and both PP and PK duty. Tatar isn't going to be a bargain, either.

I agree on looking for an impact winger, preferably of the sniper variety, but the cap and contracts will come into play, too, to determine who should be replaced/upgraded. Tatar and Domi appear to be the most likely trade/upgrade candidates, given that players like Byron or Weal have limited trade value.

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Well NHL can play in empty arenas and still get TV revenues, but that’s not an option for CHL/AHL/ECHL, if there are still restrictions in place.

Not certain how many NHL teams can afford a full regular season without fans in the stands ... I won't be surprised if they all go to 2/3 of a season starting in early 2021.