GAME 6: Flyers at Habs, 7 PM on 21 August

tomh009

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I have an even lower opinion of Domi now. I would call Edmonton, Calgary, Florida and Nashville to see if one of them value him high.

Yeah, after tonight's game, based on just gut feeling, I would even keep Drouin first. And Domi probably has more rade value.

Just now, tomh009 said:

Is this really "the best team in the NHL"? If they are, we're a Cup contender next year. (And, no, I don't think either one of those is true.)

Think the Flyers were "the best team" when play was halted ... this tournament (don't consider then "playoffs" because of the circumstances) is unique because of the months off ... not all teams managed the "break" as well as others ... winner will have earned the Cup but still a very unusual process

3 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Well that sucks.

We do have some great things to celebrate though, Suzuki and Kotkaniemi are both fantastic and gained great experience. We played them hard and we could have just as easily have won.

I have an even lower opinion of Domi now. I would call Edmonton, Calgary, Florida and Nashville to see if one of them value him high.

Looking forward to see what happens this offseason

Minnesota oft-cited as being very keen on him

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

They play the Islanders next and not sure if they will make it past them

I'm not sure hockey fans will make it past that series.

Anyone suffering from insomnia be sure to tune in though.

Just now, GHT120 said:

Think the Flyers were "the best team" when play was halted ... this tournament (don't consider then "playoffs" because of the circumstances) is unique because of the months off ... not all teams managed the "break" as well as others ... winner will have earned the Cup but still a very unusual process

Oh, but then they beat everyone in the round robin because they were So Fricking Awesome.

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Is this really "the best team in the NHL"? If they are, we're a Cup contender next year. (And, no, I don't think either one of those is true.)

Undoubtedly ... but not me ... in game would be one thing but once the final horn goes off I have no interest in bloodlust for bloodlust's sake.

Just now, tomh009 said:

Yeah, after tonight's game, based on just gut feeling, I would even keep Drouin first. And Domi probably has more rade value.

I'm not fan of Drouin but he proved that when paired with skilled players he can be really effective. If Drouin can stop the high risk nonsense (think a high danger pass in the neutral zone that usually gets picked off and generates a scoring chance against us), he can be great. He needs to work his ass off every shift

1 minute ago, brobin said:

Well they put themselves in a hole with those two shutouts... couple of lucky bounces and philly was able to shut them down for the win...

frankly, no business being in the playoffs. Some good kids on this team but they need some more talent to start building a competitive team.

Ya, I agree.  I loved the game 2 5-0 win but I kinda had a bad feeling aboot that performance coming to soon and that it could bit them in the ass.  Before that game the Flyers thought the Habs had no chance but after that game they realized the Habs could actually win the series so they werent overconfident anymore and after that game and got 2 shutouts in a row. 

They Habs do have some great talent coming, Romanov next year should be exciting to see and Caufield the the year after. Caufield is tiny but he looks like he could be incredible.  I can't wait to see him play in the NHL. 

6 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Personally I think Philly looked like crap.

Islanders really shouldn’t have to hard of a time with them IMO.

I think they get Boston next 

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

Oh, but then they beat everyone in the round robin because they were So Fricking Awesome.

Round-robin was a very weird exhibition season ... it impacted standings but all the teams knew they were in the playoff tournament and didn't all approach it with the same intensity

1 minute ago, Habsfan89 said:

This just shows we're not a deep team something you need for the playoffs. So I guess the question is are we still in retool? Or has this team shown enough to Bergevin that with added help and depth this team can make a run

Need a couple of legit top 6 snipers to hopefully allow some guys to settle down into a more natural role and have better depth.

7 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

They weren't competitive? I disagree. 

Clearly the guys worked their their @$$#$ off and made it tough for the Flyers.

Think he meant in terms of a "regular" season and making the playoffs over 82 games instead of getting into a tournament by invitation ... even more, building a roster that is generally expected to make the playoffs each year, not just compete to make them

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I'm not fan of Drouin but he proved that when paired with skilled players he can be really effective. If Drouin can stop the high risk nonsense (think a high danger pass in the neutral zone that usually gets picked off and generates a scoring chance against us), he can be great. He needs to work his ass off every shift

I'd love to see Droiun score more, but at least he has shown that he can be a great passer so he is doing something vs nothing. 

In a way Drouin sorta reminds me of players like Kovalev and Subban, players that could win you the game or lose the game, and with an equal chance of either, but with Drouin the odds are much worse that he'll lose the game. 

11 minutes ago, brobin said:

Well they put themselves in a hole with those two shutouts... couple of lucky bounces and philly was able to shut them down for the win...

frankly, no business being in the playoffs. Some good kids on this team but they need some more talent to start building a competitive team.

Sure, they would not have been in the playoffs in a normal year. But I do feel that they put in a very creditable performance in the series. They didn't get swept, they didn't look embarrassing (even in the shutouts), they didn't bow to the Flyers Superior Talent and Depth, and they arguably carried the play in three of the six games they played. And that's in spite of having traded away players at the deadline.

That doesn't make them a contender. But neither were they an embarrassment.

16 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Armia, Suzuki and Drouin looked great. Armia and Suzuki work their asses off every shift and it seemed to be rubbing off on Drouin, too.

When did we last see Drouin play over 19 minutes in a game? (Armia and Suzuki were over 20.)

We need skilled players like Drouin, even when they are flawed. 

its Domi that has become superfluous with the clear emergence of Suzuki and KK (and Danault). Even Evans as 4th line C. 

trade from strength/depth. Don’t make a hole to fill a hole. 

25 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

We need skilled players like Drouin, even when they are flawed. 

its Domi that has become superfluous with the clear emergence of Suzuki and KK (and Danault). Even Evans as 4th line C. 

trade from strength/depth. Don’t make a hole to fill a hole. 

Drouin is definitely a skilled guy, I dont hate him but he can be frustrating to watch because he looks like he should be capable of getting 25-30g/yr.  It looked like he improved this year and might have had a career year if he hadnt been injured and the season was completed as normal.  In these playoffs he did really well with Armia and Suzuki so it looks promising for next year that he'll finally hit the numbers he should have.   

I'm not sure why so many like Danault, he's alright but I wouldnt place him higher than Domi.  I find it hard to say what to do with Domi seeing how he had 1 great year and 1 alright year and his contract is up.  I think a lot of what happens with him will depend on how reasonable he is with his next contract. 

Before these games started I thought that Danault and Lehkenen might be at risk of being gone next year.  Lehks stepped up and won game 4 vs Pitts and did well vs Flyers.  Danault is decent is but I am unsure if they should keep him after what Suzuki and KK have done. 

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

This just shows we're not a deep team something you need for the playoffs. So I guess the question is are we still in retool? Or has this team shown enough to Bergevin that with added help and depth this team can make a run

You do realize that they literally traded 4 players at the deadline who could have been in the lineup during the playoffs. What kind of depth are you looking for?

I hate to say that like many, and respecting logic, the Habs lost the series. They could have won if-this if-that, but logic prevailed.

I am excited for the future after we got to see Kotkaniemi and Suzuki show us how much potential they have; also encouraged after Drouin showed that he can find an extra gear despite the scrutiny he is under and the pressure of being the most skilled francophone on the team.

I am also satisfied with how well our D -corp performed despite being left wanting fo rmore offense from Weber and Petry. 

====

The Habs did well, and they did not screw up the drsft picks too much :)

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

That and decision poor decision making and floating like he is still in the Juniors is part of the issue.

he had a good playoffs with TBL before they traded him.  Don’t know if I’d want to depend upon him.

33 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That and decision poor decision making and floating like he is still in the Juniors is part of the issue.

he had a good playoffs with TBL before they traded him.  Don’t know if I’d want to depend upon him.

I agree with you that the Habs (and its fans) should not depend on Drouin; but he is a good second line wing that can still develop more consistency.