1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

Over the last three seasons:

• Price: .910/2.77
  • Allen: .909/2.67

• Niemi: .909/3.10
  • Lindgren: .902/3.19
  • Kinkaid: .875/4.24
  • Montoya: .863/3.77

Nothing is guaranteed, but Allen should enable us to win some more games, and allow Price to get the rest he needs.

Don't forget he was playing on a team with better D in front of him then he will have here in Montreal unless we upgrade. 

I will argue that our D, when healthy, is not so terrible. Certainly not best in the league, but Weber, Petry, Chiarot and Kulak are more than credible. And we are adding Romanov into the mix next year.

1 hour ago, Habsfan84 said:

Don't disagree that he is a good goalie but it was a bad contract from the Blues perspective. They are tight against the cap and need to still need to sign Pietrangelo amongst others. In a flat cap this off-season I can't imagine there were too many teams willing to take on that kind of money for a backup.

100% agree.  You would think they’d be more of an incentive for us to take salary when a lot of teams will need to dump salary (includes the Blues).

11 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I wonder how Price feels about this? He might welcome it in the abstract, but on a bubble team nearly every game becomes important...how will he take to suddenly being asked to sit for X number of "key" games? It's going to be an adjustment for him, I suspect.

i doubt he ever wants to sit, but I have to imagine the 20/21 season will feature a significant amount of back to backs with a (most likely) compressed schedule.

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Over the last three seasons:

• Price: .910/2.77
  • Allen: .909/2.67

• Niemi: .909/3.10
  • Lindgren: .902/3.19
  • Kinkaid: .875/4.24
  • Montoya: .863/3.77

Nothing is guaranteed, but Allen should enable us to win some more games, and allow Price to get the rest he needs.

So basically we are paying around $15M For goaltending???  Is anyone else even close to that???

50 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

😄

Honestly, I'm unconcerned about the supposed "overpay"...the amount of time the Habs have gone without an adequate backup (or #1A) is ridiculous and has been costly to team success. We've finally got a quality solution to the problem. Thank heavens.

It’s not the overpay I have an issue with - we’ve got the cap space.  What I don’t get is everyone knows St Louis NEEDS to shed salary along with a lot of other teams. There are also going to be a lot of free agent goalies available that are not going to get close to usual free agent money.  

based on market conditions, we should have been able to get a sweetener for taking him.  I also can’t get my head around paying $15m for goaltending.  For one year I’d be okay if we got something more in return.

35 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

So we traded a 3rd and a 5th for a goalie that’s a decent starting goalie, that should reasonably be a real solid backup goalie that’s capable of lessening Price’s workload without much worry?  We have cap room to spare and he has 1 year left on his deal.  The only downside is the cap hit, but if it wasn’t for that, he would of costed a 2nd plus.

Goaltending solved.  That should almost guarantee playoffs next year.  Can you imagine a well rested Price the entire season?

Alarm isa hardly a consistent goalie to say we are guaranteed making the playoffs by making this deal.

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I will argue that our D, when healthy, is not so terrible. Certainly not best in the league, but Weber, Petry, Chiarot and Kulak are more than credible. And we are adding Romanov into the mix next year.

I doubt if a Price was being honest that he’d agree with you.  Did you look at some of the glares he gave his dman this year.

16 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Our D isn't close to as good as the Blues. Allen is a better back yes, probely the best we have had here since we traded away Halak. But that won't guarantee us a playoffs because theirs a lot of different factor's one of which is our D isn't the blues D.

16 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Our D isn't close to as good as the Blues. Allen is a better back yes, probely the best we have had here since we traded away Halak. But that won't guarantee us a playoffs because theirs a lot of different factor's one of which is our D isn't the blues D.

I thought our D could be really good next year. One of the sure bright spots.

Chiarot Weber

Kulak Petry

Romanov Fleury/Juulsen

Mete

Kulak's emergence has really changed the quality of our defence at 5v5.

We still need to be better on the PK though. 

Chiarot was particularly bad on the PK in the first half of last season, but did get better as the season went on and into the playoffs.

A guy like Juulsen could also help the PK considerably if he is healthy. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

$15 mil in G is indeed crazy, but what are you gonna do? We've had eight years of MB trying to score a quality #2 on the cheap, and the results have been horrible. I don't see giving up a 3rd as that big a deal and we have the cap room to carry that contract for one year.

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Kulak's emergence has really changed the quality of our defence at 5v5.

All due respect, I am less sanguine about a guy who was a healthy scratch on a team that desperately needed a good puck-moving LD. We know he can play great in spurts. That's not the same as changing the profile of the D corps.

I can, however, see hoping that some combo of Kulak & Romanov is worth gambling on, going into the season.

2 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Overpayed backup and we have to pay a pick? Maybe we just helped them resign their captain...

For 1 year and who cares about Pietroangelo, Habs dont need a highly paid RH d-man, so that is irrelevant.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

In 2021-22 we will have a lot of cap space as we have a lot of guys that have 2 years left on their contracts.

But 5 significant UFAs to resign.

43 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Nothing guarantees playoffs. Nothing.

But Allen should significantly improve the probability of us making it into the post-season (without a qualifying round).

Yes I agree like I said he will help our chance's. But you can't just base that on his numbers, different team in front of him now.  I am just saying to your point stats means shit. Look at when we signed Kinkaid, everyone thought that was enough to make the playoffs alone last year, because he would give us more wins than the other backups. He didn't last half a season and we were going to miss the playoffs.

We still need that #1 LD, and some add depth in the goal scoring department. That with Allen and Romanov should improve our team and give us better odds on making the playoffs.

35 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

$15 mil in G is indeed crazy, but what are you gonna do? We've had eight years of MB trying to score a quality #2 on the cheap, and the results have been horrible. I don't see giving up a 3rd as that big a deal and we have the cap room to carry that contract for one year.

All due respect, I am less sanguine about a guy who was a healthy scratch on a team that desperately needed a good puck-moving LD. We know he can play great in spurts. That's not the same as changing the profile of the D corps.

I can, however, see hoping that some combo of Kulak & Romanov is worth gambling on, going into the season.

Basic coaching errors in scratching him and in splitting up a Kulak-Petry pair, doesn't change the fact that he was performing. 

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Yeah would that make this a 2 year window to compete and see what we got with this core? 

Why?

You know the roster today will be different from that next fall and that one will be different from 22-23.

Why is it a 2 year window, knowing parts of core (depending on your opinion of core) will be moved in next 2 years and hopefully upgraded on.

(Also, whose spot does Caufield take, how good with Romanov/Norlinder be, will Poehling be in top nine, will Primeau become a NHL starter...)

And if team sucks next year, would be big changes no doubt in both Mgmt and roster.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

100% agree.  You would think they’d be more of an incentive for us to take salary when a lot of teams will need to dump salary (includes the Blues).

There is a difference between dump and move ... while goalie stats are impacted by the team in front of them, only one UFA goalie had a better Sv% last season than Allen (.927) ... it was Khudobin at .930 ... only Lehner (.920), Cam Talbot (.919), Markström (.918) and Crawford (.917) had .915 or better ... doubt any would have been looking at Montreal ... maybe Crawford, but I expect he will stay in Chicago, perhaps not as the starter ... IMO Blues were going to find a trade for Allen, only question would have been salary retention ... no retained salary meantt they only got a LATE third rounder

Glad they found a good back up.  I was a little surprised that the Habs had to give up a 3rd to make it happen with St. Louis' cap situation.  Would have thought there would have been some salary retention at that price.  Overall, I don't think this is a bad deal though.