TSN Power Rankings

les_glorieux

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Habby1197

Thats hillarious... Leafs over the 5-0 Preds, TSN is a joke.

True enough. This does seem a bit unreasonable.

The only thing that might support this is that power ratings are not based upon placement in the standings but, as far as I understand, upon the strenght potential of the team.

Toronto may be lower in the standings but the losses they had were all very close (shoot-outs & one goal) and their wins were much more stronger. So, in this case, it could be arguably correct.

As to Montreal's placement, it might be a bit too low but again, using the same reasoning, their wins have not been overwhelming so far. I can't really count the win against the Thrashers for pretty obvious reasons (poor goaltending & the other even greater losses before and after Montreal's win).

There may very well be a tendency to be Leaf-biased but, in this case, the bias isn't all that very strong.

I do love my hockey team and have been faithful to it for 45 years and will continue for maybe as long but I can be realistic and recognize when we're playing well and when we're not. The same goes for all other teams, even the ones that I dislike the most, Boston, Philadelphia and New Jersey.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Quick: When was the last time the Toronto Maple Leafs won the Stanley Cup?

If you guessed 1867, the year of Canadian Confederation, you're not far off. It actually was 1967. That's 37 springs without a parade -- a real parade, not the kind that erupt spontaneously on Yonge St. after winning a game in the first round -- and it's about to become 38.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ....nhl/index.html

Sports Illustrated is a magazine that prints a little more info than TSN provides. I know it is one guys opinion on there but the TSN ranking is probably done by the Leaf panel on that channel who talk in unison as one.

[Edited on 2005/10/18 by Howie_Morenz]

shortcat, i don't think that it's ridiculous that we're ranked so low. frankly, we haven't played very well as of late. however, it really doesn't make any sense to have the leafs as the second team in the league. no matter which way you look at it, other teams have shown significantly more promise than toronto

Originally posted by les_glorieux

shortcat, i don't think that it's ridiculous that we're ranked so low. frankly, we haven't played very well as of late. however, it really doesn't make any sense to have the leafs as the second team in the league. no matter which way you look at it, other teams have shown significantly more promise than toronto

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Well said les_glorieux!

We are ranked a little higher than I thought deserved being tied 2nd overall with 8? other teams in the East.

Can anyone in their right mind justifying a team without their star player (Even with potential) as the second best in any power ranking? They are not even in second in their own division as Habs have more wins.

I like the TSN website as they have become more fair with the Leafs losing; now that they are on a bit of a roll their true BIAS shines once again. Just the facts fellow habs fans as I have no personal hatred to the actual players, just the fans and TYPICAL Toronto media.

First of all, the rankings are biased, if not laughable.

Secondly, I think it's kind of gutless for TSN to have some nameless figure (Scott Cullen) do the rankings. He's not an on-air personality and it just makes it easier for them to pull this sort of stuff and not have to answer to viewers with direct commentary.

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

Quick: When was the last time the Toronto Maple Leafs won the Stanley Cup?

What about the last time Montreal and Toronto faced each other in the playoffs? (1979) I'm sure there are some who would say this was an evenly matched series that could have went either way.

Series F W L GF GA

Montreal Canadiens 4 0 19 10

Toronto Maple Leafs 0 4 10 19

Apr 16 Toronto Maple Leafs 2 5 at Montreal Canadiens

Apr 18 Toronto Maple Leafs 1 5 at Montreal Canadiens

Apr 21 Montreal Canadiens 4 3 at Toronto Maple Leafs 00:25:25 OT

Apr 22 Montreal Canadiens 5 4 at Toronto Maple Leafs 00:04:14 OT

Montreal Canadiens win series 4 games to 0

I think I might have used this before, but I really like it.

You can't really get upset at whoever crafted this fine piece of infotainment. They have to pander to their market. They like to go on about the great Toronto-Montreal rivalry, but I'm not old enough to remember that (Boston and Quebec are the much more hated rivals from my experience).

It's still early in the season. Give Toronto a chance to build up some scabs on their injuries and watch them cruise to a stop.

This is the most ridiculous ranking I've seen in a very very long time. Did anybody notice Carolina is third in the list. This is even more ridiculous than the Leafs second (which in of itself is pretty sad....Toronto deserves a good ranking but not second by ant stretch of the imagination). Montreal and Vancouver are seriously underestimated in this list. Some serious wacky tabacky being smoked at TSN.

"Note: Power Rankings are produced using a formula that takes into account a compilation of individual player grades based on statistical production. More importantly, the team grades intend to take into account which players are in the lineup to replace those who are out due to injury or suspension and aim to reflect which team would win a seven-game series on a neutral rink."

So, from what this very limited and unclear text states, individual player stats + depth (mesured by giving more brownie points to stats accumulated by "replacement" players) = who would win a seven game series?

Think this could explain the screwed up rankings. Way too many variables left out of the equation.......for starters nothing in there takes into account the team's actual performance!!!

Guess this might explain Carolina being third in the NHL in their rankings and a bunch of other absurdities.

I'm not so upset about the Leafs placement on the list...they've played well the last week or so, or the Habs placement...haven't played great yet...but how about Carolina...how could anyone place that team as high in the power ranking as they are? ridiculous.

Originally posted by simonus

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/rankings.html

interesting differences. Habs are ranked 4th, TO is 12

These rankings generally make sense to me (and not just cause of the Habs/Leafs rankings). TSN has issues to sort out with their system.....they are getting wacky results down there.

This ranking is done weekly. Toronto went 3-0, defeating Philadelphia 4-2 with Telqvist in net, followed by back-to-back road wins 9-1 and 3-2. That's why they went from #16 to #3.

Montreal went 1-2 with their only win coming via 2 goals against Atlanta's third string goalie. That's why they dropped to 16.

It reflects the past week. Carolina is a little high - likely due to defeating NJ 6-1.

Originally posted by wutabi

This ranking is done weekly. Toronto went 3-0, defeating Philadelphia 4-2 with Telqvist in net, followed by back-to-back road wins 9-1 and 3-2. That's why they went from #16 to #3.

Montreal went 1-2 with their only win coming via 2 goals against Atlanta's third string goalie. That's why they dropped to 16.

It reflects the past week. Carolina is a little high - likely due to defeating NJ 6-1.

As I understand it, these rankings reflect a team's strenght "as of now" and are not simply a report card for the past week notwithstanding anything else. I can understand why a team would score better than the standings would indicate if they are seen to be on the rise and currently better tha their standings, but in no way should Carolina be seen as the third best team in the league right now. Toronto shouln't be seen as the second best team in the league now either. Canucks are better than the 17th best team in the league now. And it goes on.

actually, tsn's rankings seem to come out every two weeks, the last rankings being on october 3.

could be, i just interpreted that as TSN not wanting to make a performance-based ranking until there was a reasonable data sample. There still is not, but at least there is something to go on.

We'll see when they put the next one out.

This ranking is done weekly.  Toronto went 3-0, defeating Philadelphia 4-2 with Telqvist in net, followed by back-to-back road wins 9-1 and 3-2. That's why they went from #16 to #3.

Montreal went 1-2 with their only win coming via 2 goals against Atlanta's third string goalie.  That's why they dropped to 16.  

It reflects the past week.  Carolina is a little high - likely due to defeating NJ 6-1.

I don't think the "Power Rankings" are just for last week, it's supposed to be for the season.

I love how the guy who makes them says it's a "formula" involving this, that and the other. Yet he refuses to tell us how he arrives at these numbers. So it's very hard to take seriously.

I could say "Well these are my power rankings but I won't tell you what they're based on"

1. Montreal

30. Toronto