Lukas Vejdemo re-signs

dlbalr

Thanks ... and good news (IMO) ... as long as he comes back if/when the AHL season starts (don't see him on Habs roster this season) I'd rather he be playing in Sweden in the interim.

I have not seen a single report putting him on the Habs NHL roster in the near future.

does he seem to be a career depth player in the AHL or is there potential for more ?

Edited by alfredoh2009
Added « in the near future »

20 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Does he project to better than. Weal? Or plateau like Hudon?

I am not sure what to make of his place on the 50 contracts 

dlbalr's write up from Dec

25) Lukas Vejdemo

Centre, Laval (AHL)
3rd round pick (87th overall) in 2015

As someone that was older than most AHL rookies and coming off playing a regular role in the SHL, expectations were fairly high for Vejdemo heading into the season.  The thought was that he’d be able to play an important role right away and potentially play himself into a recall with Montreal fairly quickly as a result.

That didn’t exactly happen.  He spent a lot of time on the fourth line early on and while it’s understandable that some sort of transition period was needed, it was longer than it should have been.  As injuries struck though, Vejdemo got a chance in the top six (until he got hurt) and he showed considerable signs of improvement offensively to end his season on somewhat of a higher note.

Heading into the season as a 23-year-old in the final year of his entry-level contract, Vejdemo is at somewhat of a crossroads.  He’s at the point where if he doesn’t take another step or two forward, there’s a chance he could be non-tendered in June (or be encouraged to sign overseas).  He is playing a little better so far but he may still have to find another gear in the second half.

16 minutes ago, DON said:

dlbalr's write up from Dec

25) Lukas Vejdemo

Centre, Laval (AHL)
3rd round pick (87th overall) in 2015

As someone that was older than most AHL rookies and coming off playing a regular role in the SHL, expectations were fairly high for Vejdemo heading into the season.  The thought was that he’d be able to play an important role right away and potentially play himself into a recall with Montreal fairly quickly as a result.

That didn’t exactly happen.  He spent a lot of time on the fourth line early on and while it’s understandable that some sort of transition period was needed, it was longer than it should have been.  As injuries struck though, Vejdemo got a chance in the top six (until he got hurt) and he showed considerable signs of improvement offensively to end his season on somewhat of a higher note.

Heading into the season as a 23-year-old in the final year of his entry-level contract, Vejdemo is at somewhat of a crossroads.  He’s at the point where if he doesn’t take another step or two forward, there’s a chance he could be non-tendered in June (or be encouraged to sign overseas).  He is playing a little better so far but he may still have to find another gear in the second half.

From that I take it this signing must be a "one more chance" opportunity to prove himself ... Habs saw some good, not enough to recall him or project in as a 20/21 Hab but enough to want one more look ... 

55 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He's a different type of player than those two.  Those two don't play much defence with some offensive flashes while Vejdemo is mostly defence with minimal offence.  He's a fairly safe option on an NHL fourth line to eat a few minutes but I haven't seen much progression from him in two years in Laval to make me think that he has another gear that he needs to have a shot at being an NHL regular.  If he does go to the Allsvenskan, hopefully he winds up with an offensive role to try to work on that part of his game.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

He's a different type of player than those two.  Those two don't play much defence with some offensive flashes while Vejdemo is mostly defence with minimal offence.  He's a fairly safe option on an NHL fourth line to eat a few minutes but I haven't seen much progression from him in two years in Laval to make me think that he has another gear that he needs to have a shot at being an NHL regular.  If he does go to the Allsvenskan, hopefully he winds up with an offensive role to try to work on that part of his game.

So at worst , he is the next de La Rose and at best the next Lehkonen ?

that is “something” 

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He projects as an AHLer, who might help out if we need a 4th line centre due to injuries. 

Some news on Vejdemo:

33 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

No interest from SHL teams? Because it’s only for few month maybe?

Perhaps ... or maybe he was looking for somewhere he could get lots and lots of ice time while there