Ribeiro

redondo

Folks seem to love or hate this guy, so unless there's a thread on him already that I missed, he seems to merit his own.

So anyway, how does everyone feel about his future with the team?

In my book, it all has to do with his effort over the next year or two (if he's around). If he turns up his intensity and skating (still) a notch, I really feel sky is the limit.

If he stays where he's at, he's still to me a serviceable 2nd line C who will give us an amazing game for every 1-2 mediocre ones. As such, I see him staying around for another year or so, until one of the kids (Plek?) proves to be a reliable, consistent replacement and then it's bye bye.

The main problem with Ribeiro is his defensive play. He is a real liability when he is called on to back check in the defensive zone. If he worked on that part of his game he could remain as a "serviceable 2nd line C" as you say. If Ribeiro can't improve in this area then Plekanec can step in as a good 2 way center. I would rather see Ribeiro shape up because I really do enjoy his creative play and I feel with a little work he can be effective on the second line. I thnk part of the problem was having Dags around. That is just too many soft players on one line. Right now I'm not too impressed with Bonk. Ideally, I would like to see Ribeiro improve his weak areas (skaitng as well) and see him remain on the second line and have Plekanec center the third line. I'm not sold on Bonk at all so far.

His biggest weakness from what I can see, is his innability to skate this season.....I remember in seasons past, that he could move much better than he is now. He's also not controlling the puck as well as I had expected.

Will be interesting to see if when Zed returns, and if Pleks keeps playing well, if he'll somehow get bumped to the 4th line.

Ribeiro on the 4rth line??? What's the point? He can't check, skate or play defense so he would be totally useless there. You can't just demote a player who's main job is to score to the 4rth line to fulfill the role of a checker. He would look much worse than he does now. Same thing goes for Dagenais. It's either the 2nd line or the highway for these guys.

Ribero's play has improved of late, but there is allways room for improvement. With Montreal's system producing tons of prospects...(Latendresse and Kostitsin will soon be knocking on the door), it'll be hard for a smallish centre with poor skating skills to hold on to hold on to a position next year. Ribero will have to excell in order to stay.

I like Ribs. He's got attitude and skill but he needs to channel it. Maybe he can check out what the first liners are doing. Playing with skill, heart and character.

~~~

Bonus tip for Habs fans;

Counter the hard on the ears elf argument of leaf 'grit and determination' with Habs heart and character. We keep getting pounded by the leafarazzi that only the leaf has g & d, well, time to counter that bu!!sh!t with true heart and character, something leaf haven't, don't and never will have.

ribeiro is a skilled player who especially excels at passing but in my opinion he is too weak. other smaller players similar to him in stature and skill, paul kariya could be one example, made up for this in natural toughness and heart mixed with steely determination. ribeiro does not posess these qualities.

i think that ribeiro needs to go to the fourth line and this doesnt necessarily have to be a pure checking line. begin and higgins can take care of the defensive end and dig the puck out for ribeiro to take up ice and set them up.

it all kind of depends on if julien wants to give zednik back his first line spot when he comes back.....otherwise a second line of zednik-plekanec-ryder looks pretty good i think

perezhogin-koivu-kovalev

zednik-plekanec-ryder

bulis-bonk-sundstrom

ribeiro-begin-higgins

this is a balanced lineup with scoring and puck posession ability from top to bottom and improves the overall defense of the team

we shall see on saturday..............

:hlogo::hlogo::hlogo::hlogo:

:ghg:

The first part of their calendar as been packed with games leaving very little time for a retrospective evaluation from coaches and players and even less for practices.

Its no surprise that in a survival mode as they where, much of what happens in the 7th game was quite alike what took place prior to that point.

This is their first brake and now that they have a perspective on their play so far, they will be working on implementing the changes

that best serve the team and individual performances.

This is a chance for some players the like of Ribeiro, Ryder and Souray to bring it up a notch and for Julien to polished the team system and heat-up the power-play units,...among other things.

I guess saturday should be a good indicator about the style and performance this team really is.

Originally posted by Mark Napier

Ribeiro on the 4rth line???  What's the point?  He can't check, skate or play defense so he would be totally useless there.  You can't just demote a player who's main job is to score to the 4rth line to fulfill the role of a checker.  He would look much worse than he does now.  Same thing goes for Dagenais.  It's either the 2nd line or the highway for these guys.

I agree 100%. I still think it is a little early to give the boot to our top point getter from last year, but he has been useless so far this year. He better pick it up or he will be riding the pines.

I totally agree with everything said about Ribs except there just isn't much roster room.. How long can Claude give Ribs the benefit of the doubt...Zeds has got to crack the lineup when he gets back...that very well could leave Ribs in the press box...and, maybe until another opening pops up that would do him some good...BTW I love the Habbit's call on the Zeds-Plekanec-Ryder line...

Ribeiro will have to change his whole game this year. The emphasis in 03-04 was on play down low; even though he's not very strong, Ribeiro made things happen from behind the net. Now there's less room back there, and the emphasis is more on generating speed through the neutral zone and free flowing play in general. Not Ribeiro's strength, and it didn't help that he started the year on a line devoid of top flight speed. He's looked better lately, looked like he's starting to adjust (well, it sounds that way anyway... not like I get to watch any games over here!).

I know that this has been bandied about... but what do you think we could get for Ribeiro in a trade?

If teams look at his 68 points (one less than Vinny in the same amount of games[81]) than we can get something good for him. Maybe a #3 defenceman a first rounder and a third/fourth liner. It would most likely be a pile of junk rather than 1 talented player for him. That doesn't really appeal to me. Maybe we can add Dagenais into the package. I would love to try something like

Ribeiro, Dagenais + 2nd rounder

=

Norstrom + Mike Cammalleri/1st rounder

Originally posted by Habiman

I totally agree with everything said about Ribs except there just isn't much roster room.. How long can Claude give Ribs the benefit of the doubt...Zeds has got to crack the lineup when he gets back...that very well could leave Ribs in the press box...and, maybe until another opening pops up that would do him some good...BTW I love the Habbit's call on the Zeds-Plekanec-Ryder line...

Hey there...I suggested a Zed-Plek_Ryder line days ago!

I liked what I saw (heard) from Ribeiro-Ryder-Higgins earlier in the year. Seems as though there should be a guy like Higgins on a line with Ribeiro at all times: fast, a good defensive player, and a good effort guy.

YEah I think Higgins could be a good fit on this line, if he could get any sort of practice time and game time with them.

I guess Julien will have to make some big decisions when Zednik comes back.

Maybe Zednik on the third line with Bonk to try and help generate some offence there? That leaves Perezhogin on the number one line, which seems to have worked well, and Higgins for the second line. Drop Bulis to the 4th line.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie

If teams look at his 68 points (one less than Vinny in the same amount of games[81]) than we can get something good for him. Maybe a #3 defenceman a first rounder and a third/fourth liner. It would most likely be a pile of junk rather than 1 talented player for him. That doesn't really appeal to me.

It seems everyone here wants to trade Ribeiro. His 68 points from the last season are worth remembering. He has been struggling so far but we are only 7 games into the new hockey. Also, he has played a lot with

Dagenais who isn't helping. I think we need to give Ribeiro time to adjust. He has the skills to excel if he can put it all together and I don't think we will get much if we trade him. I say wait and see what Julien can do to egt him back on track.

Looking at it statistically, Ribs hasn't been doing to bad. He is 4rth on the team with 5 points in 7 games and has been steadily improving. His main problem was Dagenais who was dragging him down instead of inspiring him to play better. Speaking of Dags, I can't see the 4rth line getting any sort of ice time whatsoever. Dandy is going to be on that line but he is also going to be playing defence so that cuts down his ice time. Higgins will be used a lot on the penalty kill and I say they'll give Dags a couple of chances on the powerplay. Other than that the 4rth line as a unit is going to be pretty scarce. Lots of ice time for the top 3 lines tonight.

listen, everyone seems all bent up on ribs. But to my knowledge last year was his first full season in the nhl and he did lead us in scoring, mind you on the 2nd line. OK so he's started off slow,is plus/minus -3 and plays poor defence...SO WHAT. HE also has 5pts in 7 games. HE scored the game winner against TO and set up the tying goal in the re-match. He also tied it up against Boston. He really isn't playing all that bad outside of a weak defence of game. SH*T, we haven't even played ten games and all you guyz already want him on the block. IF any part of a players game can improve its the defencive part. give him a chance.

Originally posted by IN THE HEARTS OF MEN

listen, everyone seems all bent up on ribs. But to my knowledge last year was his first full season in the nhl and he did lead us in scoring, mind you on the 2nd line. OK so he's started off slow,is plus/minus -3 and plays poor defence...SO WHAT. HE also has 5pts in 7 games. HE scored the game winner against TO and set up the tying goal in the re-match. He also tied it up against Boston. He really isn't playing all that bad outside of a weak defence of game. SH*T, we haven't even played ten games and all you guyz already want him on the block. IF any part of a players game can improve its the defencive part. give him a chance.

Could be a bit hyper-ventilated in tone but as far as the content is concerned I am with you on all count...as most anybody is actually,..including Gainey and Julien to start with.

As I said earlier he is not the only CH players that can bring-up a notch.....its the first time the team as 3 days off.....time to practice a few things and tunes things up.....its sport....not a market where moving bodys around the league becomes the main action.

Originally posted by PB
Originally posted by IN THE HEARTS OF MEN

Could be a bit hyper-ventilated in tone but as far as the content is concerned I am with you on all count...as most anybody is actually,..including Gainey and Julien to start with.

As I said earlier he is not the only CH players that can bring-up a notch.....its the first time the team as 3 days off.....time to practice a few things and tunes things up.....its sport....not a market where moving bodys around the league becomes the main action.

and he did do better tonight - good for him :D