Habs acquire negotiating rights to Joel Edmundson

dlbalr

3 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Didn't think Carolina would even trade with us after the Aho offer sheet.

They get a draft pick for nothing, why wouldn’t they make the deal. We also did them a favour on negotiating such a great contract for Aho.

7 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Uh... unless you plan on offering a guy an 8 year contract, what is the point of trading for someone's rights when UFAs don't tend to sign in Montreal anyway?

It doesn't sound like they got a window to negotiate beforehand with a deal all but finalized either.  Clearly, he's at the top of Bergevin's wish list for defencemen and he thinks he can sell Edmundson on signing with them.  He'd be a useful addition but he's not a top-pairing player either.

I have been high on Edmundson for two years now. I think he would be a great partner for Petry.

Solid, young defensive LD with size. 

if it works out, I would then be ok signing Petry to an extension instead of trading him. 

It would give the Habs a lot of options to trade from a position of strength form their LD pool

Okay say he signs and then go with probable pairings based on NHL work to date:

Chiarot - Weber

Kulak - Petry

Edmundson - Mete

Romanov, Juulsen, Fleury either 7th D or AHL...

Plus Olofsson, Leskinen, Alzner, Brook in the minors...

This has got to be a precursor to another move, right? I know you can never have enough defensemen but we have enough defensemen. 

I would think in this instance, Mete would be on the move (though if Edmundson doesn't sign, I still think Mete is on the move).  Kulak and Romanov battle for the other LD spot with the other perhaps taking RD3 if they're comfortable moving over.  Juulsen is probably 7 by default because of his waiver status. 

22 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Chiarot - Weber

Kulak - Petry

Edmundson - Mete

Chiarot-Weber

Edmundson-Petry

Kulak-Juulsen

and

Romanov-Fleury top pairing in Laval (added) if there is a season 

Mete-Folin resigned to be

traded or left unprotected for the expansion draft

Edited by alfredoh2009
Added clarification

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

... Clearly, he's at the top of Bergevin's wish list for defencemen and he thinks he can sell Edmundson on signing with them.  He'd be a useful addition but he's not a top-pairing player either.

With respect ... that is a very negative/cynical view ... and I want MB gone, so don't wear the rose-coloured glasses when looking at his moves.

There are wish lists and there are practical plans ... there was an opportunity to acquire the rights to a useful LHD, with a history of solid-second pairing (and PK) minutes, at minimal cost.

Have to wonder if ***PERHAPS*** there ***MAY*** have been some back channel discussions about Joel's interest in Montreal ... perhaps via his agent ... OR ... he was teammates with newly acquired Jake Allen for several years in St Louis ... even if not, Edmunson is not likely to get a big UFA offer ... I have to wonder if it won't be a two-year feel each other out and see what happens to the cap offer.

31 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Edmundson isnt even good.

Not impressed. I actually recommended they pick him up when he was still in St.Louis but that ship sailed for me a while back.

Hes not even in the Canes top 6.... 

Clearly this a potential depth signing. But a 5th? I would of just made a play on UfA day

24 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Okay say he signs and then go with probable pairings based on NHL work to date:

Chiarot - Weber

Kulak - Petry

Edmundson - Mete

This has got to be a precursor to another move, right? I know you can never have enough defensemen but we have enough defensemen. 

He still can add a UFA also, some LD names hitting UFA are

Krug 

Vatanen 

Adding Krug to the mix now with Edmundson and Romanov now we have ourselves a Dcore

Krug  / Weber

Romanov   / Petry 

Edmundson  / Chiarot 

Looks like a pretty solid D something we haven't had here in sometime.

Would then package Domi/Mete and our 1st or one of our 2nd round picks to land us a top scoring winger. 

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

With respect ... that is a very negative/cynical view ... and I want MB gone, so don't wear the rose-coloured glasses when looking at his moves.

There are wish lists and there are practical plans ... there was an opportunity to acquire the rights to a useful LHD, with a history of solid-second pairing (and PK) minutes, at minimal cost.

Have to wonder if ***PERHAPS*** there ***MAY*** have been some back channel discussions about Joel's interest in Montreal ... perhaps via his agent ... OR ... he was teammates with newly acquired Jake Allen for several years in St Louis ... even if not, Edmunson is not likely to get a big UFA offer ... I have to wonder if it won't be a two-year feel each other out and see what happens to the cap offer.

Wasn't trying to be cynical with that.  My thought is that if he's willing to give away a pick to talk to someone, that player would then logically have to be at (or near) the top of his wish list.  If they were only mildly interested, they'd take their chances next month in free agency.

Just now, dlbalr said:

Wasn't trying to be cynical with that.  My thought is that if he's willing to give away a pick to talk to someone, that player would then logically have to be at (or near) the top of his wish list.  If they were only mildly interested, they'd take their chances next month in free agency.

maybe he sees i  him what I saw in him at St. Louis. Nonetheless, MB's thinking could be that he's landing another Chairot type signing.

If so then why not? 

Just now, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Not impressed. I actually recommended they pick him up when he was still in St.Louis but that ship sailed for me a while back.

He was top 4 with 'Canes in TOI most of the season (depending on how often Hamilton and Skjei played in the same game) ... 3rd (23:41 per game) in the playoffs

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Think where we differ is the term "wish list" ... to me it is not the same as his plan ... if MB is hoping to upgrade forward scoring then the bigger names on what I would refer to as a wish list disappear due to cap plans ...  I agree, it seems he was prioritized as part of whatever "grand plan" MB has for the offseason ... it may well reflect that he feels Krug is either not interested in Montreal or not worth what he is expected to ask for ... OR ... has grand plans for many, many deals/trades.

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

He was top 4 with 'Canes in TOI most of the season (depending on how often Hamilton and Skjei played in the same game) ... 3rd (23:41 per game) in the playoffs

He is a better LD than Mete. 

Makes the whole D better

Don’t get this deal...I suppose if we sign him a 5th is reasonable for a potential bottom pairing guy, but it has a faint whiff of ‘we have so many picks we can throw them around at will.’

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Clearly this a potential depth signing. But a 5th? I would of just made a play on UfA day

with MB you can never have enough marginal bottom pairing dmen or 4th liners.

Even if we trade Mete, we have enough depth dmen.  We need a top pairing dman and a top line wingers. But who knows maybe he’s a late bloomer and will be the perfect partner for Weber and maybe my aunt has balls and will become my uncle.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We also did them a favour on negotiating such a great contract for Aho.

Why is this still a thing? Aho signed the offer sheet, clearly it was beneficial to him to do so. If it was such a dumb offer, he wouldn't have signed it. 

14 minutes ago, illWill said:

I don't know much about Edmundson, but have to assume he is better than Ouellette. If he gets signed why are we complaining again? 

I think people are just complaining because of the 5th round pick for a UFA even though we had 3 5th round picks. I for one like it. He's a stay at home type D which is a big upgrade on that left side.