Joel Edmundson signs

Trizzak

3 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Now that 5th RD price tag  looks like a really good deal for MB. 

Whats next?

Wait before claiming victory, what if that 5th becomes a great puck-moving point-producing clutch-scoring rallying-captain mythical franchise player :spamafote: you, know, the ones MB can never sign because they are not cool-aid-drinking fox-hole buddies :spamafote:

15 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Wait before claiming victory, what if that 5th becomes a great puck-moving point-producing clutch-scoring rallying-captain mythical franchise player :spamafote: you, know, the ones MB can never sign because they are not cool-aid-drinking fox-hole buddies :spamafote:

Timmins wouldn't have drafted him anyway ... 

• Upvote 2

I like that Edmunson just turned 27 in June. which means we have him while he’s 27, 28, 29 and 30. We shouldn’t see much decline due to age there. 

3.5 per should be a good deal as long as Edmunson is a good fit in the habs system. 

Question now is what other movement might we see with the glut on defense?

7 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

I like that Edmunson just turned 27 in June. which means we have him while he’s 27, 28, 29 and 30. We shouldn’t see much decline due to age there. 

3.5 per should be a good deal as long as Edmunson is a good fit in the habs system. 

Question now is what other movement might we see with the glut on defense?

Well, we know every team in the league is banging down MB's door to try and get Domi + Mete 😉

• Upvote 1

Seems like a reasonable deal.

Say again, just hope he can outskate and outshoot Alzner.

Truculent fella he supposed is, maybe Price wanted more grit around him? :spamafote:

And he would have to be an upgrade over Ouellet on the PK (but Ouellet did better than i thought he would).

Edited by DON
2nd thought

Solid stuff all around here, pay him until he is 30, use a 5th rounder to get him, solid player suitable for a 2nd pairing and eventually a 3rd  pair when Romanov moves up the depth chart.

No complaints here, we are starting to shore up weaknesses, right as some of our most promising players are breaking out, this is starting to look much less like a bubble team, and a more like a team ready to make some noise.

• Upvote 1

This may explain more why he signed:

On 9/16/2020 at 9:16 PM, dlbalr said:

This contract was vetoed by the league for failing to comply with year-to-year variance rules.  The revised version that was approved is as follows:

20-21: $2.75M salary

21-22: $2.5M salary, $1M signing bonus

22-23: $2.5625M salary, $2M signing bonus

23-24: $1.1875M salary, $2M signing bonus

14 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

This contract was vetoed by the league for failing to comply with year-to-year variance rules.  The revised version that was approved is as follows:

There seems no logical reason any team wouldn't be able to figure out compliance with the variance rules (isn't it just math) before even signing the contract ... let alone submitting it to the league

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

It is a good thing that the league veto doesn't turn Edmundson into an UFA again

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

There seems no logical reason any team wouldn't be able to figure out compliance with the variance rules (isn't it just math) before even signing the contract ... let alone submitting it to the league

It boggles the mind. There's no excuse for such incompetence.

3 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

It boggles the mind. There's no excuse for such incompetence.

Not as bad as Tallon/his staff not filing RFA offers by the deadline.

it’s stupid.  But at least it didn’t cost them like it did with the Hawks.

I haven’t checked but from memory I think it is the variability of the contract year to year 

I think the $2M bonus one the second third year may have thrown it off

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Are the rules posted online somewhere? I couldn't find anything.

From the NHLPA Website, which has both the CBA and the July 10, 2020 MOU, variability was amended:

image.png

• Upvote 1

As the TSN690 noon show guys were discussing/mocking Craig Button's Canadiens Depth Chart I wondered ... might Edmundson have been brought in to be the 3rd pairing RHD mentor for Romanov, leaving Kulak with Petry ... if/when Alexander moves up with Petry, Joel can either form a very solid 3rd pairing with Kulak or move to LHD and work with Fleury/Juulsen/Brook ... apologies if someone else has already suggested this 

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 11.46.18 AM.jpg