Joel Edmundson signs

Trizzak

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

As the TSN690 noon show guys were discussing/mocking Craig Button's Canadiens Depth Chart I wondered ... might Edmundson have been brought in to be the 3rd pairing RHD mentor for Romanov, leaving Kulak with Petry ... if/when Alexander moves up with Petry, Joel can either form a very solid 3rd pairing with Kulak or move to LHD and work with Fleury/Juulsen/Brook ... apologies if someone else has already suggested this 

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 11.46.18 AM.jpg

If I reminder correctly from this forum, it seems like Button is hit and miss in evaluating NHL talent. He is better in evaluating prospects 

Edited by alfredoh2009

7 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If I reminder correctly from this forum, it seems like Button is hit and miss in evaluating NHL talent. He is better in evaluating prospects 

Which is why the TSN guys discussed and "mocked" his depth chart.

19 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Ya, never took what he said too serious, cant even remember quoting him before, or checking if he actually has OK crystal ball and track record (other than he was high on Fucale, but goalies are almost impossible to predict) .

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

From the NHLPA Website, which has both the CBA and the July 10, 2020 MOU, variability was amended:

image.png

Thanks. But I don't think this is the right clause, because Edmundson's contract is not front-loaded, he actually gets paid more in years 3 and 4. It appears that the clause that tripped them up was this one:

(b)"The 100 Percent Rule" for Multi-Year SPCs.For any SPC that is not a Front-Loaded SPC, the difference between the stated Player Salary and Bonuses in the first two League Years of an SPC cannot exceed the amount of the lower of the two League Years. Thereafter, in all subsequent League Years of the SPC, (i) any increase in Player Salary and Bonuses from one League Year to another may not exceed the amount of the lower of the first two League Years of the SPC (or, if such amounts are the same, that same amount); and (ii) any decrease in Player Salary and Bonuses from one League Year to another may not exceed fifty (50) percent of the Player Salary and Bonuses of the lower of the first two League Years of the SPC (or, if such amounts are the same, 50 percent of that same amount).

The proposed drop from year 3 to year 4 was $1.75M, which is more than $1.375M (50% of the first-year salary of $2.75M). The revised numbers squeak in under this limit.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I realise that I don’t really know Edmundson at all except for the fact that he won the SC in St—Louis and spent a year with the stacked Canes’ defensive unit. 

is he any good? Reliable ? Better than Alzner ? (I sure hope so...)

17 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

I realise that I don’t really know Edmundson at all except for the fact that he won the SC in St—Louis and spent a year with the stacked Canes’ defensive unit. 

is he any good? Reliable ? Better than Alzner ? (I sure hope so...)

I don't know much about Edmundson either, but he seems to be similar size as Scandella plus he gets more points and only costs $250K more.   I liked Scandella, he wasn't great but I would have liked to see him return and the Blues messed that up resigning him.  Does anyone know how Edmundson compares to Scandella? 

I did some research and watched numerous videos on Edmondson.  Even though he is from Manitoba, his fathers side of the family is French, so he was in French immersion in public school and is fairly fluent in it.  There are likely pics of him wearing a Habs jersey as a kid too, because his whole family are huge Habs fans so he is exited to be a Hab and always wanted to play for them. 

What I learned from the vids:

Pros:  he likes to step up in the neutral zone and do open ice hits, he  joins in on rushes - can even lead them and several of his goals it looks like he's a forward (sorta looks similar to Petry in that regard).  It looks like he has a decent slap shot from the point and wrist shot too.  He doesnt score tons and his current career high is 7g, but did it twice, so I could see him getting career highs with 10+ g/yr.  Also seems to like attempting long break out passes.

Cons:  he seems to hit guys from behind into the half boards - a lot, potential issue when he steps up to make a hit it can create an odd man rush (but Habs are defensive and fast so that should be less of an issue - if it was one), for his size he looks underwhelming in fights, needs to work on the accuracy of his long break out passes..