2020 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, DON said:

... Wonder how soon a schedule for a training camp, reg season will be proposed? They have to assume CoVid is not going away and likely will be the summer/fall before all fans can likely get some vaccine and standard precautions are adopted or accepted by more people.

Maybe they will find some way to squeeze more profit out of broadcasts and allow partially filled rinks?

Doubt that broadcasters are going to give them more money ... at best they MIGHT be able to squeeze an advance on future years ... but don't know if robbing Peter to pay Paul is really a solution ... there may be a need for greater sharing of revenues; for example, putting some significant % of gate receipts and local TV/radio revenues into a pool

I expect things like that will need to be worked out before we see any sort of schedule

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Commandant, I probably agree with you 95% of the time but not on this one.   I can think of a lot of loser's but  Bobby Orr is not one of them, maybe he is  just a little misguided. 

You can disagree... he supports a racist, and that makes him a loser... same with anyone else who is willing to overlook the racism and facism in order to get a couple tax cuts. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, revvvrob said:

Ya - I was about to comment but figured politics belongs elsewhere. 

I’m glad Orr isn’t ashamed or afraid of being public with his convictions. Nothing wrong with that. 

Yep, nothing wrong with supporting someone who thinks and says groups that act like the Klan are good honest folks.  Orr shouldn’t be ashamed of that, should’ve added that on his ad.  It’s pretty pathetic that Orr and Nicholaus’s adds were worded almost exactly the same. Tells, you what a tool both of them are.

I always hated the Bruins, but always admired Esposito and Orr.  Not anymore, now Orr isn’t any different than the rest of the Jack Edward’s favourite garbage franchise to me.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Doubt that broadcasters are going to give them more money ... at best they MIGHT be able to squeeze an advance on future years ... but don't know if robbing Peter to pay Paul is really a solution ... there may be a need for greater sharing of revenues; for example, putting some significant % of gate receipts and local TV/radio revenues into a pool

I expect things like that will need to be worked out before we see any sort of schedule

OK, how soon will that likely happen, sometime in November?

34 minutes ago, DON said:

OK, how soon will that likely happen, sometime in November?

November 29th ... 3:42 p.m. ... Eastern

1 hour ago, DON said:

Russo, The Athletic:

Leafs only canadian team a lock for playoffs it appears. Hmmm.

image.png

If y you I I have an all Canadian division, you’re going to have 4 trams in the playoffs and I really don’t see any of them as locks. There’s question marks with all of them

-Leafs - they got older and gave up some of their depth, not sure if they improved.  Should make the playoffs and heads will probably roll if they don’t (unlike Montreal)

-Montreal - depends on whether Suzuki and KK play like they did in the summer and continue to progress. Should be be better having a backup. I still don’t like the D, but they are better than last year. More likely to be an actual playoff team than they were to be a play-in team this year (had the season gone a few games longer and the way things were going, they may not even have been a playoff team).

-Edmonton - weaker on D, but I think Puljujarvi will have a good year and should be a playoff team, but with the D and Goaltending, can’t call them a lock.  
-Calgary- depends on whether it’s Vezina candidate Markstrom or journeyman Markstrom. Chances are they are in, but not a lock.

-Vancouver, will depend on Demko being able to replace Markstrom (I wouldn’t want to depend on Holtby as the starter, but he could surprise). The team could take a step back with the  player losses outweighing the gains.

-Winnipeg, like the additions up front, but are hurting on D. If they get stellar goaltending, could be a bubble team.

So I’d say there really is no dominant teams in the Canadian division (like the central or Atlantic).  All have question marks, but I think, Montreal, Toronto, Calgary and Edmonton  should make it, but wouldn’t be surprised to see Vancouver or Winnipeg get in.

22 hours ago, GHT120 said:

November 29th ... 3:42 p.m. ... Eastern

Or not

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Can someone go to the NHL HQ and give it a "kick" to get it going again.

It seems it has stalled and is stuck here:

image.png

As arbitration winds up we might see a few more trades and UFA signings, but there isn't a whole lot of rush for teams here. The season doesn't even have a start date yet.

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

As arbitration winds up we might see a few more trades and UFA signings, but there isn't a whole lot of rush for teams here. The season doesn't even have a start date yet.

The arbitration case for Strome, in particular, will be interesting.  If the award comes in over the walkaway threshold, I could see the Rangers walking away and hoping that Strome then sees there's not much out there on the open market and opts to come back at New York's offer.  (This is actually in the CBA for this year only.)  Beyond that, it's going to be really quiet for six weeks or so.  That's why I'm bringing back the All-Time series to wrap it up as we'll have a lot of time to fill on the site.

I like Dany Dubés' lines better ... 

image.png

image.png

They agreed on the defence pairings but I still believe that, to start the season at least, it is best if Kulak stays with Petry and Edmundson tutors Romanov

image.png

6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I like Dany Dubés' lines better ... 

They agreed on the defence pairings but I still believe that, to start the season at least, it is best if Kulak stays with Petry and Edmundson tutors Romanov

I would be planning on playing Suzuki the most centre time even-strength and be designated #1 centre (lots PP time).

But Danault will still get lots icetime between, defensive draws, reg and PK time.

18 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Personally, I would balance the three top lines, with the fourth not far behind. That's the whole idea behind a balanced line-up without any superstars.

Well, I’m still holding out hope that one of Suzuki or Kk (preferably both) turn into superstars.   Would be nice to have a Tampa like situation with players like Point and Kucherov exceeding drafted expectations.

21 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Well, I’m still holding out hope that one of Suzuki or Kk (preferably both) turn into superstars.   Would be nice to have a Tampa like situation with players like Point and Kucherov exceeding drafted expectations.

That would be great. But, for now, balanced lines sounds about right.

53 minutes ago, tomh009 said:
1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That would be great. But, for now, balanced lines sounds about right.

Agreed ... plan for what you know and adapt to what happens

1 minute ago, DON said:

Lots of works to be done until then.

THAT is an understatement

On 11/1/2020 at 1:42 PM, hab29RETIRED said:

Yep, nothing wrong with supporting someone who thinks and says groups that act like the Klan are good honest folks.  Orr shouldn’t be ashamed of that, should’ve added that on his ad.  It’s pretty pathetic that Orr and Nicholaus’s adds were worded almost exactly the same. Tells, you what a tool both of them are.

I always hated the Bruins, but always admired Esposito and Orr.  Not anymore, now Orr isn’t any different than the rest of the Jack Edward’s favourite garbage franchise to me.

It’s official.

Bobby Orr is a certified loser.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, zumpano21 said:

It’s official.

Bobby Orr is a certified loser.

Well it ain’t over until the lawyers are done singing (crying) when it comes to Trump.

• 2 weeks later...

Gallagher on Romanov (translated):

"He's good and strong. No one realizes how strong he is. He will have an impact on the team. He's hungry, he wants to play in the NHL. In the bubble, he worked tirelessly even though he knew he wouldn't play. We all noticed that. And, physically, he's ready."

• dlbalr unpinned this topic