2020 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Entirely cancelling the "discussion period" will (IMO) either make it obvious that the rules were broken

And, we should care why?

(not being sarcastic)

We arnt in NHLPA, so go nuts as far as I am concerned.

Tyler Johnson on waivers ... mid-20s goal scorer who has 29 twice ... but on a high powered team 

PROS: costs no assets
CONS: small ... 30 ... how much did TBL add to his production (IMO quite a bit) ... 4 yrs @ $5M

Don't want MB to claim him ... It will be interesting to see if anyone bites

21 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Tyler Johnson on waivers ... mid-20s goal scorer who has 29 twice ... but on a high powered team 

PROS: costs no assets
CONS: small ... 30 ... how much did TBL add to his production (IMO quite a bit) ... 4 yrs @ $5M

Don't want MB to claim him ... It will be interesting to see if anyone bites

Detroit should claim him

52 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Johnson goes unclaimed.  Tampa is going to have to eat money or take a player back to get rid of him.

I wish it was as simple as Johson for Byron and Ikonen or Mete

7 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I wish it was as simple as Johson for Byron and Ikonen or Mete

Not unless Brisebois could work out a three-way deal ... but even then, not certain that on the Habs he brings that much more than a healthy Byron

On 10/8/2020 at 6:25 PM, DON said:

And, we should care why?

(not being sarcastic)

We arnt in NHLPA, so go nuts as far as I am concerned.

THIS is why ... day 3 and none of the major UFAs have signed ... boorrriiiiinnnnnnggggggg

Just now, Commandant said:

I think this has more to do with Covid and a flat cap than the lack of a courting period. 

I'll agree on flat cap ... but if they had the "usual" week of pre-UFA talks I think many of the big names would be signed ...the back&forth for players/agents to get a sense of exactly what each team's REAL maximum offer was under the flat cap would have already happened

IMO the greatest impact of Covid was eliminating the "contract tour", be it players to team cities or GMs to the players' homes ... even if the week was allowed, some players/teams would have avoided it out of caution and it would have been difficult US-based players and Canadian teams to visit because of travel restrictions ... but don't miss that spectacle

On 10/11/2020 at 1:07 PM, GHT120 said:

I'll agree on flat cap ... but if they had the "usual" week of pre-UFA talks I think many of the big names would be signed ...the back&forth for players/agents to get a sense of exactly what each team's REAL maximum offer was under the flat cap would have already happened

IMO the greatest impact of Covid was eliminating the "contract tour", be it players to team cities or GMs to the players' homes ... even if the week was allowed, some players/teams would have avoided it out of caution and it would have been difficult US-based players and Canadian teams to visit because of travel restrictions ... but don't miss that spectacle

Thing is though, in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012... we didn't have a courting period, and July 1st was busy every year. 

I can't see how taking away the courting period has dropped it this much. 

Its the flat cap as well as some owners (Dallas) doing internal caps cause Covid has hurt their other businesses.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Pietrangelo's deal in Vegas is official - 7 years, $8.8M per.  To make room, Nate Schmidt was sent to Vancouver for a 2022 3rd.  The Golden Knights still have some cap trimming to do.

Nice pickup by the nucks 

13 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Nice pickup by the nucks 

Yeah, a critical acquisition in that it fills the hole left by Tanev. They can hold off on sending Benning to the gallows just yet.

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

Thing is though, in 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012... we didn't have a courting period, and July 1st was busy every year. 

I can't see how taking away the courting period has dropped it this much. 

Its the flat cap as well as some owners (Dallas) doing internal caps cause Covid has hurt their other businesses.

I totally agree that the flat-cap and Covid impacts on internal caps have complicated the financial negotiations this year ... just feel that the courting period would have allowed for the same talks that have occurred in the last few days and expedited signings on UFA day

Pretty sure the Habs should have traded for Nate Scmidt.

:devil::ph34r:

#AntagonizingYetSincere

#YayaCapSpace

A random tidbit - while Tampa agreed to re-sign Patrick Maroon and Luke Schenn, those deals have not been filed yet with the league.  I suspect this has to do with the offseason cap rules and that they don't want those two deals on their books as encumbrances if they get hit with multiple offer sheets that push them past the cap +10% mark.

20 hours ago, dlbalr said:

A random tidbit - while Tampa agreed to re-sign Patrick Maroon and Luke Schenn, those deals have not been filed yet with the league.  I suspect this has to do with the offseason cap rules and that they don't want those two deals on their books as encumbrances if they get hit with multiple offer sheets that push them past the cap +10% mark.

Wonder how long they are willing to wait to know that they actually have a contract ... Maroon would be a nice poach if possible ... means a little bit more work to get compliant but would be worth it IMO.

58 minutes ago, DON said:

Seems like a smart move to me ... after the progress KK made in the tournament best to have him playing real games ... it will let him "hit the ground running" at the start of TC ... 

3 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Joe Thornton signs with the Leafs. 

They should sign Kovalchuk too and play him, Spezza, and Thornton together on the "We wish it was 2007" line.

I love this move by the leafs!  They’ve reverted to what led to their downfall near the end of the quinn era, sign every washed up big name they can.  Only difference now is that they aren’t throwing stupid money at them like they did in the pre-cap era.  The Tavares signing and caving into their kids is really biting them in the ass and I love it!

• Like 1

• dlbalr unpinned this topic