Domi for Anderson

Helmethead

Deal seems to make sense for both teams - a bit surprised the Habs had to kick in the extra pick in the deal.  If anything I figured Columbus would have to add to Anderson to get Domi.  

On 9/30/2020 at 7:29 PM, Fanpuck33 said:

I think it will be interesting to see what happens with Josh Anderson in Columbus. He has proven difficult to sign in the past, and he took a pretty big step back this year before getting hurt. Do they believe in him enough to sign him to a deal like Wennberg (which has been a huge misfire) or could they decide to just move on? If so and if Domi really is on the market, then that could be an interesting match. Montreal needs a winger with that kind of potential and Columbus has a big, gaping hole at center on the 2nd line.

I got one right!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, nhfarber said:

Deal seems to make sense for both teams - a bit surprised the Habs had to kick in the extra pick in the deal.  If anything I figured Columbus would have to add to Anderson to get Domi.  

Maybe Jarmo Kekalainen is just a better negotiator than MB ... hopefully Habs got as much medical info as possible for review before agreeing to the deal ... or made it conditional on a physical (which at one time at least was sgtandard)

I thought Columbus was giving us a 3rd round pick. I have to say, I'm a little disappointed. True that Anderson has size that we really need up front, but I checked out his stats, and it's not very impressive. With the exception of 2018, he's never scored more than 20 goals in a season...and he's 26 yesars old.

Also, I have to admit, I was hoping that the Habs could use DOmi to get Ehlers out of Winnipeg. I'm well aware that it would have taken more than just DOmi, but we could've packaged him with a high draft pick and a good young dman!

I didn't like what I saw from him last season...refused to shoot the puck at times, and seemed to sulk when asked to move around.  Poor performance + selfish attitude coupled with the emergence of KK and Suzuki guaranteed that Domi was on his way out.

“Anderson was 29th in hits for forwards from 2017-2019 (healthy seasons). From that top-30 group he's 6th in total points, 6th in penalties drawn, 7th for takeaways. 
Lots of reason for optimism that if this 6'3" winger is healthy, he will be an excellent addition to the Habs..” 

A quote from Andrew Zad, 

7 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

“Anderson was 29th in hits for forwards from 2017-2019 (healthy seasons). From that top-30 group he's 6th in total points, 6th in penalties drawn, 7th for takeaways. 
Lots of reason for optimism that if this 6'3" winger is healthy, he will be an excellent addition to the Habs..” 

A quote from Andrew Zad, 

I’m confident Anderson will be a good addition.

im not confident this will go down as an acceptable trade

The summer of the players whose last name starts with a vowel (and coincidentally, their first name starts with a J), Allen, Edmundson, Anderson. Who's next! (A recently bought out Justin Abdelkader?? Haha)

Bergevin trades for Domi, it's a crap trade! Bergevin trades Domi, it's a crap trade. Remember when everyone was mad that 30 goal scorer Galchenyuk was traded for a third liner in Domi?  This thread reread should be good for laughs: 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, huzer said:

The summer of the players whose last name starts with a vowel (and coincidentally, their first name starts with a J), Allen, Edmundson, Anderson. Who's next! (A recently bought out Justin Abdelkader?? Haha)

Bergevin trades for Domi, it's a crap trade! Bergevin trades Domi, it's a crap trade. Remember when everyone was mad that 30 goal scorer Galchenyuk was traded for a third liner in Domi?  This thread reread should be good for laughs: 

Yes sir.

I remember it well.

2 minutes ago, huzer said:

The summer of the players whose last name starts with a vowel (and coincidentally, their first name starts with a J), Allen, Edmundson, Anderson. Who's next!

At the time of that trade I remember I didn't like it also for the simple reason, he was trading one problem for the same problem.  He was trading a winger who wanted to play center but couldn't for a winger who wanted to play center but couldn't. We needed D help and scoring that trade didn't address anything. 

But domi turned out to be a good pick up. But didn't last here in Montreal.

I think it was a situation where Domi contract and the teams inability to find a suitable position for him in the line up led us to this point.

I shall reserve judgement on Andersen as I don’t know a lot about him but the fact we needed a power forward is a starting point.

5 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

I’m confident Anderson will be a good addition.

im not confident this will go down as an acceptable trade

What’s a good addition?  A middle 6 winger, or a top line winger?  We needed a top line winger.  If he gets back to to 25+ goals AND stays healthy, than I’d say he’s a good addition.

looking at Anderson’s stats and injury history, compared to Domi, I don’t know why we are the ones adding a draft pick.   

Anderson MAY turn out to be a good player, but based on his statistical and injury history, I think we over-paid as usual. I also would rather have used Domi as a package to get a winger who has proven he can score 30+.

but MB likes big and he moved a smaller skilled player with some concerns for a bigger player with injury issues and less skill.

Well, I've been arguing in the Rumour thread that "Domi for Armia" is a reasonable trade in theory.

And that seems to me a plausible interpretation of this deal. Yeah, yeah, maybe Anderson will revert to 26-goal, 47-point form. But he sounds more like a safe bet to be a big body in the top-9 who can approach 20 goals. A lot like Armia.

Given the apocalyptic season he just had, I have a hard time defending the "throw in" of a 3rd-rounder to make the deal happen.

3 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I think it was a situation where Domi contract and the teams inability to find a suitable position for him in the line up led us to this point.

I shall reserve judgement on Andersen as I don’t know a lot about him but the fact we needed a power forward is a starting point.

I don’t see how we’ve improved contractually. We traded our RFA for an RFA that Columbus was having trouble signing.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, I've been arguing in the Rumour thread that "Domi for Armia" is a reasonable trade in theory.

And that seems to me a plausible interpretation of this deal. Yeah, yeah, maybe Anderson will revert to 26-goal, 47-point form. But he sounds more like a safe bet to be a big body in the top-9 who can approach 20 goals. A lot like Armia.

Given the apocalyptic season he just had, I have a hard time defending the "throw in" of a 3rd-rounder to make the deal happen.

The throw in make zero sense. I get we have extra picks this year and I get we are getting close to the first COVID touch-less Halloween, but it doesn’t mean MB has to start passing out draft picks like candy.

I put together my initial thoughts in the article, up on the front page now.  I'll need a little more time to digest this, and will probably have more to say in an upcoming Writers Weigh In article this week.

https://www.habsworld.net/2020/10/habs-trade-max-domi-to-columbus/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The throw in make zero sense. I get we have extra picks this year and I get we are getting close to the first COVID touch-less Halloween, but it doesn’t mean MB has to start passing out draft picks like candy.

Agree.

That said, I do think this trade improves the team. 20-goals, 40-points seems a reasonable projection for Anderson. Domi, meanwhile, was not going to be used in the top-6. There wasn't much point in having him noodling around unhappily on the fourth line passing the puck to cement-handed depth players like he did in the playoffs. So we subtract a guy who had no real role on the team for Joel Armia II. That's a plus.

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think he did it to out bid other teams. Maybe no one else was willing to give anything higher than a 4th. With that said do you lose out on a player you want over a middle round pick? Is Anderson better than anyone we would be picking at 3? Yes  he is.