Kaiden Guhle, 15th Overall, LHD

Commandant

8 minutes ago, DON said:

What CC said.

They went "best player available" and pick really had little (or nothing) to do with current roster.

Best player available is the way to go. By the time Guhle is NHL ready  (3 years?) who knows what the Habs biggest need will be. As has been mentioned before, if you are over stocked in 1 position then you can always trade and there will always be a market for good young defenceman. 

15 minutes ago, DON said:

What CC said.

They went "best player available" and pick really had little (or nothing) to do with current roster.

The issue for many is that the BPA at #16 is fairly grey ... at #16 the difference between a handful of players is minimal ... so they chose the "safest" pick OR went to their default preference (defence) ... like what I read about the kid but would have preferred a swing for the fences with offence (e.g., Reichel, Mercer, Lapierre, Zary, Perrault, Bourque). 

16 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The issue for many is that the BPA at #16 is fairly grey ... at #16 the difference between a handful of players is minimal ... so they chose the "safest" pick OR went to their default preference (defence) ... like what I read about the kid but would have preferred a swing for the fences with offence (e.g., Reichel, Mercer, Lapierre, Zary, Perrault, Bourque). 

Only time will tell, if got another Tinordi-Beaulieu or a McDonagh-lite and whether any of the forwards you noted end up all-stars.

24 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Best player available is the way to go. By the time Guhle is NHL ready  (3 years?) who knows what the Habs biggest need will be. As has been mentioned before, if you are over stocked in 1 position then you can always trade and there will always be a market for good young defenceman. 

And overstocked on paper, doesnt mean any of Brook, Struble, Harris, Juulsen, or Fleury will actually become a NHL regular.

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Only time will tell, if got another Tinordi-Beaulieu or a McDonagh-lite and whether any of the forwards you noted end up all-stars.

Totally agree ... but as that is true for all of them just preferred that MB roll the dice on a goal-scorer

Just now, GHT120 said:

Totally agree ... but as that is true for all of them just preferred that MB roll the dice on a goal-scorer

Me as well would of 'preferred' seeing Mercer, Lapierre or the like, but Mackenzie scout's poll had Guhle at 14, Commandant had him at 12, so the d-man wasnt a reach at all.

4 minutes ago, DON said:

And overstocked on paper, doesnt mean any of Brook, Struble, Harris, Juulsen, or Fleury will actually become a NHL regular.

Of course not,  overstocked means enough of these guys develop to provide the Habs with a surplus of good young defenceman. And if they don't develop then Guhle may end up looking like a great pick that fills a need. There are no guarantees here. 

Just now, DON said:

Me as well would of 'preferred' seeing Mercer, Lapierre or the like, but Mackenzie scout's poll had Guhle at 14, Commandant had him at 12, so the d-man wasnt a reach at all.

Wasn't suggesting it was a reach ... just that at that stage of the draft, #14 through #22 are not a pure hierarchal ordering and reflect personal subjectivity as much as actual differentiations.

Can't help but look at the guys we would have got at #9, Rossi or Perfetti, and think how excited Tony Maranaro sauce would have been.

A defensive defenseman isn't the most exciting 1st round pick, but hopefully he was the BPA and becomes a solid NHLer.

3 minutes ago, Neech said:

Can't help but look at the guys we would have got at #9, Rossi or Perfetti, and think how excited Tony Maranaro sauce would have been.

A defensive defenseman isn't the most exciting 1st round pick, but hopefully he was the BPA and becomes a solid NHLer.

I think his stats suggest that he is more than just a defensive defenceman although his defence and physical play seems to be his strong suit. 

Can’t complain on best player available. Our D is set for 10 years now, when we look at our veterans D core ( top four) finishing nicely 4/5 years and then a bunch of Young top D prospects coming into there own by then, ( passing of the torch) let’s say. 

I’m assuming it’s a no brainer, all three 2nd rounds picks will be forwards. 

37 minutes ago, Neech said:

He had 40 points last year in a shortened season.  Why is he a defensive defenceman?  He has two way skills 

10 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

Can’t complain on best player available. Our D is set for 10 years now, when we look at our veterans D core ( top four) finishing nicely 4/5 years and then a bunch of Young top D prospects coming into there own by then, ( passing of the torch) let’s say. 

We need RHD

7 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

When 2nd/3rd round is where you should look to pick defensive d-men.

22 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

Oh.  Didn't know one of  Romanov, Norlinder or Guhle already turned into a legit 1st pair LD.  My bad.

15 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Oh.  Didn't know one of  Romanov, Norlinder or Guhle already turned into a legit 1st pair LD.  My bad.

They  haven’t and yes your right,  no guarantees here .. discussion is a bunch of top defenceman prospects we’ve gathered up nicely... We are now probably rated top 1 or 2  in the league is this department. 

for anyone who knows me personally I’m a 1/2 cup empty guy, but I’m feeling 1/2 cup full today. I want to win a Stanley cup soon! Living in Edmonton and winning the cup before Mcdavid, wound be amazing for Hab fans in E town 

4 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

They  haven’t and yes your right,  no guarantees here .. discussion is a bunch of top defenceman prospects we’ve gathered up nicely... We are now probably rated top 1 or 2  in the league is this department. 

for anyone who knows me personally I’m a 1/2 cup empty guy, but I’m feeling 1/2 cup full today. I want to win a Stanley cup soon! Living in Edmonton and winning the cup before Mcdavid, wound be amazing for Hab fans in E town 

It would be amazing indeed!

57 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He had 40 points last year in a shortened season.  Why is he a defensive defenceman?  He has two way skills 

Thank you for pointing this out.

Some posters so quick to throw shade without looking at the numbers. 
all accounts are he is growing into offensive role and has been trending that way.

1 hour ago, Neech said:

who cares? Why you dwelling on what ifs? Not enough to bitch about?

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

We need RHD

Play style and skill set wise how does Guhle compare with Juulsen?

they seem very comparable to me, at least with my limited knowledge 

5 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Play style and skill set wise how does Guhle compare with Juulsen?

they seem very comparable to me, at least with my limited knowledge 

I was thinking exactly the same 👍