Bergevin 2020 is he on the right path?

Are you happy with the moves so far?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with the moves?

• Yes - these moves make us a playoff team
    • No - fire MB already
    • Maybe - If MB adds another top 6 forward

I have to say that MB has gone out and tried to address our needs. I frankly don't think that he has done that to this degree since he became the GM and after years of "dumpster diving" moves MB has made some real moves.

We have needed a proper back up goalie for years and we now have a very good one. I don't care about Allen's salary as this is a one year contract that we can revisit next season or more likely that we can address this internally. We now have a quality back up that can win games and hopefully Price plays around 50ish games and he hits the playoffs well rested where he can destroy.

Edmundson does make our defense better than it was. Most of us would agree that what we actually needed was a true #1 left Dman but I don't think we are willing to give up the players required to get that player. The way I look at our defense now is that we have some good depth and if Romanov can impress then we are in good shape. Our defense is shaping up to be large, mobile, hard hitting and tough for opposing forwards to play against. I'm not sure what this means for players like Mete...

Most of us are not really happy with the cost to acquire Anderson but I  have a simple question. Is Anderson a better winger than Domi? The answer to that question is to be determined but I certainly think Anderson is a better winger. Anderson's size, strength and willingness to play both ends of the ice is a welcome upgrade over Domi. I see people wanting Anderson to play with Suzuki but I think he should be with Kotkaniemi.

Is there more coming?

I expect MB will throw money at Hall and or Simmonds and if that fails then I expect we will see Kovalchuck.

I would love to see a line of Simmonds - Kotkaniemi - Anderson and I think this line would be scary to play against. The one this that I do know is that Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia is awful and I hope CJ does not mute Kotkaniemi by doing that!

So what do the rest of you think, is Bergevin on the right path?

• Like 1

Absolutely think the team is headed in the right direction - but if the need is to improve scoring, I don’t think that’s yet been addressed. 

Looking at our top 9 (since the thought is to have all lines that can score, not just top 6) we are banking on continued growth from the kids and the effective Drouin as opposed to the floating one. 

I’d like to see Tatar moved out to make a spot for another, more of a scoring, winger. Likely that winger is Caufield, but that’s not 2020-21. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

... I expect MB will throw money at Hall and or Simmonds and if that fails then I expect we will see Kovalchuck.

I would love to see a line of Simmonds - Kotkaniemi - Anderson and I think this line would be scary to play against. The one this that I do know is that Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia is awful and I hope CJ does not mute Kotkaniemi by doing that! ...

Throwing money at Hall ... no thanks, but at least there is some logic in doing so

Throwing money at Simmonds ... makes no sense IMO ... his production has steadily slipped the last three seasons ... from 31 in 16/17 to a pro-rated 26, to 17, to a pro-rated 9 last season ... he was never the fastest skater and at 32 with some tough miles on his odometer I doubt he is anything more than a 4th line player on a good team (which the Habs better be in 20/21 for MB's sake) ... IMO Armia is, that this moment, a better player then Simmonds ... I agree that Anderson seems a lopgical RW for KK ... just don't want Lehkonen on his left.

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

29 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

Absolutely think the team is headed in the right direction - but if the need is to improve scoring, I don’t think that’s yet been addressed. 

Looking at our top 9 (since the thought is to have all lines that can score, not just top 6) we are banking on continued growth from the kids and the effective Drouin as opposed to the floating one. 

I’d like to see Tatar moved out to make a spot for another, more of a scoring, winger. Likely that winger is Caufield, but that’s not 2020-21. 

This is a really great point.

If the goal was to add scoring then is this really a good trade? Domi = Anderson as far as goal production goes that hinges on Domi being a centre though and he is 4th on this team so he is a winger. Domi is pushed outside easily on the wing due to his size where Anderson doesn't? I'm hoping Anderson can help the overall production of his line more than Domi.

Throwing money at Hall ... no thanks, but at least there is some logic in doing so

Throwing money at Simmonds ... makes no sense IMO ... his production has steadily slipped the last three seasons ... from 31 in 16/17 to a pro-rated 26, to 17, to a pro-rated 9 last season ... he was never the fastest skater and at 32 with some tough miles on his odometer I doubt he is anything more than a 4th line player on a good team (which the Habs better be in 20/21 for MB's sake) ... IMO Armia is, that this moment, a better player then Simmonds ... I agree that Anderson seems a lopgical RW for KK ... just don't want Lehkonen on his left.

Yeah I don't want Simmonds either but he is precisely the type of player that gives MB an erection.

My choice would be an overpay (what we must do I'm sure) for Hall on a two year contract and see if we can contend over the next 2 years.

I don't think we are even in the conversation over Laine (although a bold move would be Weber for Laine and that won't happen).

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

My choice would be an overpay (what we must do I'm sure) for Hall on a two year contract and see if we can contend over the next 2 years.

I don't think we are even in the conversation over Laine (although a bold move would be Weber for Laine and that won't happen).

We would need a major salary dump in order to fit either Hall or Laine in at this point.

8 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think we have a little over 10 million in space but that might not include Mete or Anderson. If that is the case then you are right we can't afford Hall. Simmonds probably we could afford but I hope it doesn't happen.

I guess Kovalchuck it is

Correct - that doesn't include Anderson, Mete, and whoever else fills out the roster.  If they add anyone of consequence from here on out, it's via a trade with a player on a decent-sized deal going the other way.  Otherwise, it's maybe a depth UFA signing and that's about it.

We have only 10 roster forwards at the moment. Add Anderson, and presumably we will also move Evans ($750K) to the Habs roster to fill out the forward lines. If we do pick up another forward, then either Evans or Weal (waivers?) would need to play in Laval.

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Correct - that doesn't include Anderson, Mete, and whoever else fills out the roster.  If they add anyone of consequence from here on out, it's via a trade with a player on a decent-sized deal going the other way.  Otherwise, it's maybe a depth UFA signing and that's about it.

Would love MB to try to exploit an internal budget, cash-strapped team ... be it for a reasonably-priced RFA or may be take on a LTIR contract in order to get more than "normal market value" in a trade for a current Hab

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Would love MB to try to exploit an internal budget, cash-strapped team ... be it for a reasonably-priced RFA or may be take on a LTIR contract in order to get more than "normal market value" in a trade for a current Hab

Going the LTIR route would be really risky.  To use LTIR, there's no bonus cushion which means any bonuses hit in 2020-21 would roll over to 2021-22.  Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, and Romanov all have a shot at hitting some bonuses.  Having those all carry over to 2021-22 when all of the new veteran contracts kick in (Petry, eventually Gallagher and whoever else signs) on a still-flattened cap would put them in a bit of a bind.

I agree with the gist of PM Koivu's assessment...it's nice to see Bergevin actually making concrete moves to address glaring roster holes. For once.👍

The revised Habs are going to be interesting. On the one hand, this is a significantly beefier Habs team than we're accustomed to seeing. The blueline has grinding, physical, strongmen in Weber, Chiarot, and Edmunson. If KK brings the power game we saw in the playoffs, then between him, Armia, and Anderson we will suddenly have three "power" guys in the top 6 or at least top 9 - plus Gallagher. If that team gets to the playoffs healthy, it will be a tough out.

But can it get to the playoffs? The addition of Allen probably means a few additional regular season points in itself. However, we are awfully dependent upon two unproven C. If either Suzuki or KK craps out or gets injured, the team will struggle. Having Domi at least offered a fallback position at C, but with him gone, we no longer have a safety net. Indeed, it's quite striking that other than Danault the Habs basically have ZERO proven NHL centremen anywhere in the organization. That's...weird. And unsettling.

Everyone wants MB to go and get a star winger, but I would not be surprised if he acquires a proven bottom-6 C before all is said and done.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Yeah this means we don't have a whole bunch to spend and I would prefer to have a bit of a buffer so unless we trade the best we can hope for is a Kovalchuck.

It is interesting that nobody has voted to fire MB in the poll.

Marc Bergevin has done a good job this year. He didn't knock it out of the park but he has addressed our needs and improved this team. :habslogo:

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree with the gist of PM Koivu's assessment...it's nice to see Bergevin actually making concrete moves to address glaring roster holes. For once.👍

The revised Habs are going to be interesting. On the one hand, this is a significantly beefier Habs team than we're accustomed to seeing. The blueline has grinding, physical, strongmen in Weber, Chiarot, and Edmunson. If KK brings the power game we saw in the playoffs, then between him, Armia, and Anderson we will suddenly have three "power" guys in the top 6 or at least top 9 - plus Gallagher. If that team gets to the playoffs healthy, it will be a tough out.

But can it get to the playoffs? The addition of Allen probably means a few additional regular season points in itself. However, we are awfully dependent upon two unproven C. If either Suzuki or KK craps out or gets injured, the team will struggle. Having Domi at least offered a fallback position at C, but with him gone, we no longer have a safety net. Indeed, it's quite striking that other than Danault the Habs basically have ZERO proven NHL centremen anywhere in the organization. That's...weird. And unsettling.

Everyone wants MB to go and get a star winger, but I would not be surprised if he acquires a proven bottom-6 C before all is said and done.

I'm thinking we will be quite a bit better overall.

-Price will be rested and he plays well rested.

-Allen will win some games where our backups have not done that.

-Our defense will be much tougher to play against (Edmundson and Romanov)

-Anderson will create room for his linemates and Anderson himself is great around the net.

IDK - while we still need the star forward I am very excited for this season

• Upvote 1

Didn't MB say he was going to a youth movement after another the horrific year. Now through a pandemic and beating the Penguins (which have been terrible the last 3 post seasons) now all of a sudden they are close to being contenders. I'll believe when i see it. They weren't even close to a playoff team. 

The habs success in the modified playoff system was because of the youth scoring and playing big games, however that was due to CJ having a heart ailment and KM taking over. No way CJ would have played KK and Suzuki that much. 

The games they lost were the traditional score once. 

I like some of the moves he made in the offseason, good back up goalie, but otherwise they upgraded a LD position. 

Still a lot of if's and but's. 

I still don;t get everyone saying they have a balanced 3 lines of scoring, they have 3 lines who don't score reliably and the Danault line. Until i see otherwise for more then a 10 game streak. Even Drouin looked good for some playoff games, however, he is never consistent. 

So my vote as it has been for the past few year is can MB and the coaching, drafting team. Although i did like the first 2 rounds of picks. . Only time will tell on them, 

• Upvote 1

Well, of course I will vote that I believe MB is on the right path

The team should qualify for the playoffs with this roster: which brings it to were it was before the reset

Now that he has filled back the hole he dug for himself, I want to see him make this team a cup contender 

45 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Well, of course I will vote that I believe MB is on the right path

The team should qualify for the playoffs with this roster: which brings it to were it was before the reset

Now that he has filled back the hole he dug for himself, I want to see him make this team a cup contender 

There are from my perspective two tiers of playoff teams ... those that are top three in their division and solidly/safely in the playoffs and those that fight and claw for the wild card spots ... not totally convinced that Habs won't still be in the wild card race ... 

Nothing is for certain. But with the moves that Bergevin made this time, combined with the ongoing development of the kids, makes me think that we should be better than a bubble team in the 2021 season (can't be 2020-21 any more if we don't start until January).

A little success goes a long way, eh? This team was saved from being a bottom 5 team by the season ending early. They were swept by the Red Wings. 

The off-season isn’t done yet, but I don’t think these moves alone guarantee a playoff spot. Like Chris, I’m hesitant to believe that Julien will ride the kids like Muller did. Ultimately the Habs lost because they couldn’t score. Allen and Edmundson won’t help that. Maybe Anderson will, but he alone isn’t enough.

5 minutes ago, huzer said:

A little success goes a long way, eh? This team was saved from being a bottom 5 team by the season ending early. They were swept by the Red Wings. 

The off-season isn’t done yet, but I don’t think these moves alone guarantee a playoff spot. Like Chris, I’m hesitant to believe that Julien will ride the kids like Muller did. Ultimately the Habs lost because they couldn’t score. Allen and Edmundson won’t help that. Maybe Anderson will, but he alone isn’t enough.

I agree but what he has done is upgrade the team. Something he hasn't done in what 5 years. No more plug In's like usual. Allen upgrade on back up, Edmundson, Romanov upgrade on D, Anderson upgrade on size up front.  We still need to  address the power play and add some scoring depth.

I always said if a GM goes out and trys everything he can to improve his team i will back him.  But if a GM does nothing and the samethings keep happening and the team keeps missing the playoffs. I will never back him.

With that said I like what he has done this off season to improve the team. Lets see what happens in free agency.  I hope he isn't done and adds a scorer or at least scoring depth to this team.

14 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I agree but what he has done is upgrade the team. Something he hasn't done in what 5 years. No more plug In's like usual. Allen upgrade on back up, Edmundson, Romanov upgrade on D, Anderson upgrade on size up front.  We still need to  address the power play and add some scoring depth.

I always said if a GM goes out and trys everything he can to improve his team i will back him.  But if a GM does nothing and the samethings keep happening and the team keeps missing the playoffs. I will never back him.

With that said I like what he has done this off season to improve the team. Lets see what happens in free agency.  I hope he isn't done and adds a scorer or at least scoring depth to this team.

I’m simply responding to what the poll question responses were. I don’t believe these moves alone make the Habs a playoff team. Nor do     I think he should be fired due to this offseason. 

I enjoyed the bubble playoffs as much as anyone, and I wasn’t hoping for a loss to get a better draft position. I do like the attitude of the team, they never quit, but at some point they need talent up front that can score.

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Nothing is for certain. But with the moves that Bergevin made this time, combined with the ongoing development of the kids, makes me think that we should be better than a bubble team in the 2021 season (can't be 2020-21 any more if we don't start until January).

But training camp will start in 2020?

15 hours ago, Chris said:

Didn't MB say he was going to a youth movement after another the horrific year. Now through a pandemic and beating the Penguins (which have been terrible the last 3 post seasons) now all of a sudden they are close to being contenders. I'll believe when i see it. They weren't even close to a playoff team. 

The habs success in the modified playoff system was because of the youth scoring and playing big games, however that was due to CJ having a heart ailment and KM taking over. No way CJ would have played KK and Suzuki that much. 

The games they lost were the traditional score once. 

I like some of the moves he made in the offseason, good back up goalie, but otherwise they upgraded a LD position. 

Still a lot of if's and but's. 

I still don;t get everyone saying they have a balanced 3 lines of scoring, they have 3 lines who don't score reliably and the Danault line. Until i see otherwise for more then a 10 game streak. Even Drouin looked good for some playoff games, however, he is never consistent. 

So my vote as it has been for the past few year is can MB and the coaching, drafting team. Although i did like the first 2 rounds of picks. . Only time will tell on them, 

The thing is that we have been a bubble team for the last two seasons and MB did very little to help the team. This upcoming season is different, we have 4 new players that WILL make this team better than last year's team. I can certainly respect the opinion that these new guys are not good enough (meaning MB failed to get our star forward) to make us a "contender" but they are an obvious upgrade to our team.

If we were on the cusp of the playoffs with the team we had then we are surely a playoff team with: a seriously great backup goalie, a solid Dman in Edmundson, a potential star Dman in Romanov and a power forward winger that can score and hit and create room and loves going to the net.

We are without question a much better team than we were last year. Can we contend for the cup? Probably not today but lets see what free agency brings us and failing that we do have some good pieces ready to help very soon.

I feel like for the first time in a very long time (decades?) we have some real hope.